follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Billy2224
Professional Racer

Drives: Supra, Cooper S, GT86, Formula 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Supercharging the GT86

Hey guys, just wondering how easy will it be to supercharge the 86.
Years down the track after the warranty has expired I came into the consideration of supercharging it. Having a Cooper S in the family which just left last year (sadly ) the low end power and extra kick with a supercharger is loads of fun.

How will the engine be able to handle it, how much boost and power gain do you guys reckon I would be able to get without even coming close to any engine damage?

Cheers, looking forward to the responses
Billy2224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
kyolml

Drives: STI 2008, M3
it will take a while before anyone sells one. While you are at it, you are welcome to make a rotrex based bracket if you can, which I will be interested.
kyolml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
You'll most likely need to deal with the high compression (12.5) and have a well-sorted engine management solution, and the majority of the rest of the major issues will just be in the routing, fueling, and cooling of the engine and satellite components.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
Illusive

Drives: 2005 Subaru STi
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm not a fan of a centrifugal style supercharger, I'd much rather prefer a smaller fast spooling turbo over them. You can get a more linear torque curve earlier and make more power than a centrifugal.

If forced to go with a supercharger, then twin screw type is the way to go. You get the low end grunt & throttle response that a supercharger should give, where as a centrifugal requires higher rpm's before the difference in power is evident.
Illusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #5
Drift-Office

Drives: AE86 / FRS / FC3S / GC8 / S14 / R32
Thanked 1,431 Times in 372 Posts
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Ref : http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3878
Drift-Office is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:31 AM   #6
Billy2224
Professional Racer

Drives: Supra, Cooper S, GT86, Formula 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusive View Post
I'm not a fan of a centrifugal style supercharger, I'd much rather prefer a smaller fast spooling turbo over them. You can get a more linear torque curve earlier and make more power than a centrifugal.

If forced to go with a supercharger, then twin screw type is the way to go. You get the low end grunt & throttle response that a supercharger should give, where as a centrifugal requires higher rpm's before the difference in power is evident.
yea i might be looking into a twin screw, just looking to see how much of a hassle it would be to do it with this type of engine, cheers mate
Billy2224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
yuli8466

Drives: MX5
I think just simply waiting for HKS's solution. They can handle it. and a good solution both in power gain and reliability. I hope the throttle's response remains quickly.
yuli8466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
yuli8466

Drives: MX5
Quote:
I'd much rather prefer a smaller fast spooling turbo over them
the intake is not easy to deal with, while adding a turbo. Look at the existed twin turbo demo car, the intake pipe is very long and bended
yuli8466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #9
uspspro

Drives: DGM BRZ, MR-S 3.5L V6 swap (sold)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

What you are saying is only half true.

First, turbos rarely have a "linear" torque curve. it's more of "torque hill". Usually they make a TON of mid-range torque (much more than a comparable centrifugal SC). Generally, there is a ramping up, then a plateau or hump around peak boost. If you have a small turbo then the ramp can be very short, but the top-end will suffer for it and torque will fall off.

Second, the torque curve with a centrifugal can be "linear" but the line will be increasing towards redline (see my old 1zzfe dyno below). That's without using a restrictor. The use of a big SC with a small pulley, with an inlet restrictor can have a very flat torque curve.

With a good Rotrex setup, the added power is more than evident way before getting into the upper rpms. See below, it has like 50 more ft-lb at 3000 rpm and obviously way more up top

here is a stock 1zzfe dyno:

Here is my Rotrex dyno

uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,049 Times in 8,324 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
How easy is it? It's easy, if you have enough $$$$

Serious note, after your warranty is over, prob good idea to search again. By then there will be more options
Old 06-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Illusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by uspspro View Post
What you are saying is only half true.
How about we agree to dis-agree on that point?

Quote:
Here is my Rotrex dyno

This is my reason why we agree to dis-agree:

This is a stock 1zz-fe with a GT-2871R based turbo system we designed. It is making more torque, sooner than the rotrex is and when the customer brings his car back for a motor build, it will make much more top end power than the rotrex set up will. This is with peak boost at around 10 psi. This turbo likes to live at 20-24 psi.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Illusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuli8466 View Post
the intake is not easy to deal with, while adding a turbo. Look at the existed twin turbo demo car, the intake pipe is very long and bended
That's only if you go with an air/air intercooler set up. We prefer air/water set ups for the short piping path and maximum response.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
uspspro

Drives: DGM BRZ, MR-S 3.5L V6 swap (sold)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
This is a stock 1zz-fe with a GT-2871R based turbo system we designed. It is making more torque, sooner than the rotrex is and when the customer brings his car back for a motor build, it will make much more top end power than the rotrex set up will. This is with peak boost at around 10 psi. This turbo likes to live at 20-24 psi.
Yeah, there is no doubt that the turbo will make more power and torque.

Just saying that the centrifugals get a bad rap, when in reality, they can be setup pretty well.

The transient response with the Rotrex was amazing, no different than NA, but with lots more power. Something that doesn't show up on a dyno pull.

There are also many side benefits of something like the Rotrex
1) There is no glowing hot orb of metal situated in an engine bay that was never designed around it.
2) separate oiling system
3) packaging
4) can keep existing NA mods (exhaust, DP, headers, etc)
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uspspro For This Useful Post:
Partial Stall (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
Illusive

Quote:
The transient response with the Rotrex was amazing, no different than NA, but with lots more power. Something that doesn't show up on a dyno pull.
Yes, The dyno doesn't always tell the tale on the street. The gt2871r transient was also equally amazing, the car makes 1.5-2.0 psi of boost at 1500 rpm in 3rd gear. You get near instantaneous throttle response with the system. I really am looking forward to our gt-25r based 1zz-fe turbo system's results because of how good the response was with the 2871r.

Quote:
There are also many side benefits of something like the Rotrex
1) There is no glowing hot orb of metal situated in an engine bay that was never designed around it.
This is kind of a moot point, the turbo systems genreally sit in the same location as the factory exhaust does which is designed to handle the heat. When a turbo system is designed properly it includes all necessary heat shielding, and doesn't turn into a glowing orb of heat

Quote:
2) separate oiling system
Definately an advantage to a supercharger system.

Quote:
3) packaging
This can be a plus or a minus depending on where the s/c is mounted and hood clearances.

Quote:
4) can keep existing NA mods (exhaust, DP, headers, etc)
You could keep n/a header(s) and n/a designed exhausts, but they would not be optimized for the f/i set up, so you would want to change them out anyways.

My main point was not to argue a s/c benefits, but that I prefer a screw type s/c over a rotrex style when given the option.
The Following User Says Thank You to Illusive For This Useful Post:
Billy2224 (06-14-2012)