follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 12-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #3893
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRTR View Post
Yep, who cares, do it. I can't think of a situation where this rule would allow a car any kind of significant performance advantage. Someone tell me what I'm missing.
I can't think of a single situation, if I could I would have just said it. Just because I can't think of it though doesn't mean it doesn't exist and that Hollises of the world won't find and exploit it.

We all agree that the intent is that the BRZ is able to come play in CS and no one is arguing against that. The only problem being that when you gray those lines, people will use that rule beyond it's intent.

I do think that allowing the BRZ to have the TRD springs/bars would be good for the class and the twins. I just don't think it is as black and white as you want to make it. I can see why there is a hesitation.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DylanFRS For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (12-15-2015), strat61caster (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #3894
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRTR View Post
If the exception said 'joint-venture cars that share the same chassis/driveline (Engine/Trans)' can you think of an example of how this screws anything up?
I can't think of any advantages that are unlocked with this wording, but maybe I'm missing something.
Saabaru/WRX wagon - I see no advantage/these cars all blew up and went to SM/ST
Solstice/Sky - ZOK suspension BS Saturn Sky? Who cares, do it.
Firebird/Camaro - WS6 parts on an SS Camaro, Z28 parts on a Formula (not a V6 model) Who cares again, I see no real advantages here either.
Corvette/Caddy and F150/Mustang - ....these are not the same cars.

Yep, who cares, do it. I can't think of a situation where this rule would allow a car any kind of significant performance advantage. Someone tell me what I'm missing.
It's 'spensive to frankenstein a best of all world's car. And, IMO, not in the spirit of the category.

Quote:
The FR-S and the BRZ need to be on an equal playing field, period. There's too many SCCA members that bought these cars to compete in Street class to let a Toyota document with unfortunate verbiage alienate half of the owners. I think it's a bit ridiculous to see how many BRZ owners have simply bailed because of this minor performance advantage, but the cars should be on the same level of prep.
That's just it. They are. It's the same level playing field that the 350Z, RX-8, NC, ND, and everyone else enjoys. It's called CS.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #3895
NJ10
Stiggasaurus Rex

Drives: '14 WRB Subaru BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrqlessWonder View Post
That's just it. They are. It's the same level playing field that the 350Z, RX-8, NC, ND, and everyone else enjoys. It's called CS.
So what you're saying is,

BRZ and FR-S(without TRD) were same level playing field

BRZ and FR-S(with TRD) still the same level playing field
Old 12-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #3896
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR View Post
Very few people here lack a Nationals jacket because they can't do TRD springs. "Wrong" stuff gets driven up the podium all the time. For me, the lowest hanging fruit is always the driver. I just left the ES pool where a '93 MR2 emerged from the crypt and finished second.
Bingo, quoted for posterity.

Otherwise I feel like we are all beating a dead horse here. If you have a serious concern and want to see a change, write to the SEB: https://www.crbscca.com/

In other news, now that the camber advantage of the Koni's is taken away, I think it makes other double adjustable struts more attractive. What are the other options out there? Penske?
Old 12-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #3897
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
Bingo, quoted for posterity.

Otherwise I feel like we are all beating a dead horse here. If you have a serious concern and want to see a change, write to the SEB: https://www.crbscca.com/

In other news, now that the camber advantage of the Koni's is taken away, I think it makes other double adjustable struts more attractive. What are the other options out there? Penske?
FRSport Double Adjustable Bilsteins...

http://www.frsport.com/index.php?tar...0176ef9a4bfb0b
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simpleisbest For This Useful Post:
TMF (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #3898
TrqlessWonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ10 View Post
So what you're saying is,

BRZ and FR-S(without TRD) were same level playing field

BRZ and FR-S(with TRD) still the same level playing field

Yep. Just not the same players anymore. Kinda like the other non-BRZ/FR-S cars in CS.

Although, they never were the same players in the first place. Spring rate disparity existed long before the TRD mess, and is as valid a reason as any to pick one car over another. And there's a 50-ish pound weight difference between the two as well.
#24 CS/CSR
The Following User Says Thank You to TrqlessWonder For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (12-15-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #3899
Laloosh

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Yep. Just not the same players anymore. Kinda like the other non-BRZ/FR-S cars in CS.

Although, they never were the same players in the first place. Spring rate disparity existed long before the TRD mess, and is as valid a reason as any to pick one car over another. And there's a 50-ish pound weight difference between the two as well.

Level playing field is a broad term that hides the fact that one is faster than the other. Pretty sure if you give a C-street prepped BRZ to a talented driver like Strano for example and then have him run the course in a TRD prepped FRS that FRS will put up better #s. You have me do the same test and chances are the results will not be obvious/drastic...or maybe they will. However, a lot of people want to know they are driving something that gives them the best shot to be competitive. And as indicative by the results, if a twin is your choice, the BRZ is no longer on the list. Before the TRD update I agree that the BRZ/FRS was a crap shoot and capable of equal results, now though, not so much. There is a reason why ALOT of people ditched their C-street brz's or turned them into STX cars and its not because of 50lbs or the factory spring rates favoring over/under steer lol.
2014 BRZ C-Street #11 245/40/17 RE71R's, Camber Bolts, Koni Shocks, Perrin 19m Bar, 5mm Spacer/Longer Studs, Berk Track Pipe, KNN Drop In, Fancy alignment
Laloosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laloosh For This Useful Post:
TrqlessWonder (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #3900
TrqlessWonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laloosh View Post
Level playing field is a broad term that hides the fact that one is faster than the other. Pretty sure if you give a C-street prepped BRZ to a talented driver like Strano for example and then have him run the course in a TRD prepped FRS that FRS will put up better #s. You have me do the same test and chances are the results will not be obvious/drastic...or maybe they will. However, a lot of people want to know they are driving something that gives them the best shot to be competitive. And as indicative by the results, if a twin is your choice, the BRZ is no longer on the list. Before the TRD update I agree that the BRZ/FRS was a crap shoot and capable of equal results, now though, not so much. There is a reason why ALOT of people ditched their C-street brz's or turned them into STX cars and its not because of 50lbs or the factory spring rates favoring over/under steer lol.
I don't doubt that the TRD FR-S should certainly be faster with everything else remaining the same. But, the difference between a TRD FR-S and a BRZ is no different than it would be with the RX-8, et al. Should those folks get competitive adjustments too?

Street classes, for the most part, never have a "car to have" for long periods of time. Some cars are never the car to have. Some get their competitive life cut short very quickly. That happened to the BRZ, effectively. The FR-S will get theirs, too, before very long. Heck, deliveries on its better may be already underway.

I still don't get why Subaru can't be bothered to offer a similar setup. Wouldn't fix those that have already bought, but it restores the parity we'd all like for cars going forward without having to open a can of worms. I mean, is it some corporate edict that all Subarus exist at rally-x ride height?
#24 CS/CSR
Old 12-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #3901
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
The FR-S will get theirs, too, before very long. Heck, deliveries on its better may be already underway.
Maybe this year with the ND Miata.

I am betting that if the ND Miata takes CS this year, this conversation will be dropped in a hurry.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:26 PM   #3902
Laloosh

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Quote:
I don't doubt that the TRD FR-S should certainly be faster with everything else remaining the same. But, the difference between a TRD FR-S and a BRZ is no different than it would be with the RX-8, et al. Should those folks get competitive adjustments too?

Street classes, for the most part, never have a "car to have" for long periods of time. Some cars are never the car to have. Some get their competitive life cut short very quickly. That happened to the BRZ, effectively. The FR-S will get theirs, too, before very long. Heck, deliveries on its better may be already underway.

I still don't get why Subaru can't be bothered to offer a similar setup. Wouldn't fix those that have already bought, but it restores the parity we'd all like for cars going forward without having to open a can of worms. I mean, is it some corporate edict that all Subarus exist at rally-x ride height?

Comparing the difference between a TRD FRS and BRZ to the difference between either to lets say an RX-8 is useless. A TRD FRS vs a RX8 is fair game, each car still has strengths and weakness and either car can take it imo depending on the course with equal drivers. The BRZ has ZERO strengths against a TRD FRS, it is simply a handicapped version of the TRD FRS and never has an advantage lol.
2014 BRZ C-Street #11 245/40/17 RE71R's, Camber Bolts, Koni Shocks, Perrin 19m Bar, 5mm Spacer/Longer Studs, Berk Track Pipe, KNN Drop In, Fancy alignment
Laloosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laloosh For This Useful Post:
TrqlessWonder (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #3903
TrqlessWonder

Obviously, I don't share that view on things. From documentation (insert eyeroll here) the TRD FR-S was a thing from the get-go (another eyeroll for good measure). The BRZ, then, effectively never had a shot, as you might put it. It only hung on until folks discovered the port option thingy.

Ergo, the BRZ is as much the same car from a rulebook standpoint as an RX-8. That is, not the same car. Just another allowed class competitor for which the SEB didn't have a better class to assign it to. That no one knew about the port option thing for the first two+ years is just the effed-up part about it.
#24 CS/CSR
The Following User Says Thank You to TrqlessWonder For This Useful Post:
TMF (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #3904
TrqlessWonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
Maybe this year with the ND Miata.

I am betting that if the ND Miata takes CS this year, this conversation will be dropped in a hurry.
I think the ND may well be that car. Sneaking suspicion that the exhibition runs in Lincoln were done with either a trunk full of sand, or got the few prep things they did very wrong.

That might change the tone of the rhetoric. It won't end the conversation, though.
#24 CS/CSR
Old 12-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #3905
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,471 Times in 766 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I bet the ND would do a lot better at a local style course where it's not constantly shifting or hitting the limiter... but oh well.
DocWalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #3906
YawMomentRacing

Drives: 2013 Red 6MT Scion FR-S
Quote:
I think the ND may well be that car. Sneaking suspicion that the exhibition runs in Lincoln were done with either a trunk full of sand, or got the few prep things they did very wrong.

That might change the tone of the rhetoric. It won't end the conversation, though.
Not sandbagging. No benefit to that in a public marketing exercise and I got not even a hint of that talking to Hollis. My take:

1) They were on the wrong tire. I tested back to back on the Lincoln practice course Bstone vs. BFG and was consistently 0.3-0.4s faster on the Bstones.

2) Not as much development as top cars. My car had a season and Fenter/Harvey 3+. I certainly learned things and got faster throughout the year. That's tough to make up for in one event.

3) I think there is a chance that the car is just not that fast especially on longer, faster courses like the East Course. I certainly don't think it is the new top car to have or a class killer. I think it will be even with the top FR-Ss, NC MX-5, and RX-8s. Just my opinion though, time will tell.
YouTube Channel
YawMomentRacing is offline   Reply With Quote