follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
srizzors25
Daedalus Moto

Drives: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 R6 Race Bike
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Audio Cutoff Sub-woofer Install

Hey All,

Installed an amp and sub-woofer in my friend's car yesterday. Works great except for the fact that occasionally over 30 on the volume meter the audio cuts out and won't come back unless you turn the car off/back on.

We wired his amp off of the inputs to the oem amp in the trunk. Tapped off the wires before the connector. Used the wiring like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhlka View Post
I made that video. Can you take photos of your setup? You're tapping the amp remote for your sub amp remote and the signals to the amp, not to the speakers, right? If you have any connections reversed, it might cause issues. I had an amp pop in my STI when I mistakenly set it to reversed polarity on my Pioneer head unit. Sad times.

I think it was
3 (FL+, light green)
4 (FR+, white)
8 (remote on, green)
9 (FL-, yellow)
10 (FR-, light blue)
Taken from this thread with similar issue

Saw the thread posted above but we don't have a line converter for his system. Is his amp no good? I have a similar setup in my car but I bought a t off harness for behind the head unit and it works all the time. No line converter on my system either. Granted my system is smaller, 10" JBL sub and 200w JBL amp

What could be wrong?

He has an ARC XDI 600.1 (400w) and a Kicker 12" sub

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
IceFyre13th

Drives: Mazdarati
Thanked 1,369 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
the amp is going into protection mode......I will guess, bass boost is set high, gain is set too high and your running speaker level signals into a RCA input........

You do need the line level converter, or run off of the sub out jacks behind the factory radio (don't forget to turn them on too, search for it).

Then you wont be over driving an amp into protection