follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Perrin Catback Exhaust Installation and Review!

Hello everyone! This first post is a preliminary review of the Perrin Catback Exhaust! Unfortunately I cannot finish the review due to my own stupidity involving never having used V-Band clamps before and some minor dyslexia, I ended up snapping one of the clamps. More on that later! I will finish the review tomorrow when I have received a replacement V-Band Clamp which I purchased and had overnighted.

First things first!

The Prep!

I removed my old exhaust from the BRZ yesterday in preparation of installing the Perrin kit. I do not have pictures of this, it was however exceedingly easy and took me all of 30 minutes. It consisted of unbolting the rear axelback flange, unbolting the front Catback flange and popping the pipes off the hangers. I usually spray the hangers with a little bit of WD-40 to aid in sliding the studs off the hangers. Make sure to wipe the excess off before reinstalling the new exhaust to prevent the WD-40 residue from smoking from the heat of the new exhaust. I also recommend supporting the muffler with something while removing the hangers so it doesn't fall and/or damage the rubber hangers during removal.

The Kit!

I picked up the Kit from @Kaizen Tuning over in Boxborough, MA and quickly threw it in the back of my truck and rushed home as fast as possible stopping for lunch along the way.

Once I was home I layed the kit out below the BRZ in order (Yes I do own my own garage lift.)

The kit consist of a hardware bag, a mid pipe with resonator, a rear S-pipe and the Muffler with dual 4" brushed stainless tips. The entire kit is 304 Stainless and is VERY shiny and well finished.

The hardware bag comes with everything you need, including different bolts for when/if you install the Perrin Front/Over pipe which isn't even released yet!! Talk about thinking ahead!

The Install!

The install was very smooth, first step was to slide the new muffler onto the hangers.

Then Hang the S-Pipe on it's hanger and loosely secure it to the muffler with the V-Band Clamp, DO NOT TIGHTEN THE CLAMP, leave it loose for adjustment later.

Then the trickiest part, installing the resonator, with two people this would be a piece of cake, however I was working by myself. It was still not difficult, just tricky. First step was to remove the donut gasket from the stock front/over pipe. Then place the supplied gasket on the flange of the front/over-pipe.

Now take the proper two flange bolts! The proper two are the M8 bolts with the 13mm head, they are silver, the Grade 8 3/8-24 bolts are for when/if you install the Perrin Front/over pipe. Since the Perrin front pipe is not available yet you should use the galvanized (grey/silver) M8 bolts. Now pre-place the two M8 Bolts with only the large washer through the holes in the front/over pipe flange and gasket. the small washer goes on the resonator side with the nut. Unfortunately Perrin only gave me one small washer, luckily I has a spare spring washer that was the proper size so I used that on the bolt with the missing washer.

Now here comes the tricky part for one person, this is the easiest way I have found to do this. First pre-place the V-Band Clamp on the v-band flange on ether the resonator or the S-Pipe. Place the resonator on your shoulder. Now while supporting the weight of the resonator with your shoulder, line up the bottom bolt hole with the proper bolt on the flange and use both hands to put the small washer on the bolt and thread the nut. Now do the same with the top bolt, washer and nut.

Once you have these placed turn around while still supporting the resonator (this method prevents undue stress to the vibration isolator from supporting the resonators weight) and attach and loosely tighten the pre-placed V-Band clamp, securing the resonator pipe to the S-Pipe.

Next we have our hanger clamps which are the little billet aluminum blocks with an Allen screw. These prevent the muffler and S-Pipe from slipping off their respective hangers due to vibration. You are SUPPOSED to have 5 of them, unfortunately Perrin only sent me 4, so I placed them on the 4 muffler hangers for now and I will request one more from Perrin tomorrow. Adjust your muffler left to right on the hangers to center the exhaust tips in the openings on your bumper. Once it is placed, slide the hanger clamps up against the rubber hangers and tighten them with an Allen wrench until they are hand tight and do not slip.

Now you are ready to tighten everything, this is where I f***ed up very stupidly.

Tighten the exhaust from front to rear starting with the front/over pipe flange. Tighten the front-over pipe flange to 25 ft-lbs (foot-lbs) evenly, try to tighten the bolts as evenly as possible to prevent leaks.

Now with the v-band clamps loose you can twist the S-Pipe and adjust how much each tip sticks out from the bumper, adjust this until each tip sticks out the same amount. Next tighten the resonator/s-pipe V-Band Clamp to 75 in-lbs (INCH-lbs!!!) THIS IS WHERE I MESSED UP. Me being so used to foot-lbs on EVERYTHING and having never have used V-Band Clamps before immediately read that as FOOT-LBS (ft-lbs) so very STUPIDLY I set my torque wrench to 75 foot-lbs and proceeded to tighten the clamps. Much to my dismay I ended up tightening FAR too much and snapping the freakin clamp bolt...I felt like a dumbass.

Anyways, once you have done successfully what I did stupidly (By the way, I did the conversion for those of you who don't have a inch-lb torque wrench, 75 in-lbs is 6.25 ft-lbs) proceed to tighten the rear Muffler/S-Pipe V-Band Clamp and YOU ARE DONE!

Luckily my buddies at Kaizen Tuning ( @Kaizen Tuning ) knew where to get clamps quickly and $50 of overnight shipping and the cost of a clamp later I will have my new clamp tomorrow. I will finish this review then.

In the mean time!

The Glamour Shots!

Just the Tips...

Dat Ass

On the Lift Looking Sexy.

Aw Yeah who's on Top

Tomorrow I will conclude with the Final Reviews, which will include my thoughts on the sound, the final fitment, professional quality HD (192khz/24-bit) sound recordings (NOT YOUTUBE!) from my pro-audio rig (I am a stage technician by trade) and some short walk around video's.

In the mean time enjoy the plethora of pics.

-Trev A.K.A Sony

Last edited by Sony; 09-05-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (09-07-2012), BabaYaga (08-01-2014), btune (10-25-2016), calmtigers (12-06-2013), cfusionpm (05-03-2013), cmss2000 (09-06-2012), Cop (08-23-2015), Curtski96 (05-01-2016), DarkestBuddha (08-07-2013), djdnz (09-13-2012), flippy (01-07-2016), frsguy707 (01-10-2013), ft86Fan (09-12-2012), idanvan (08-05-2013), illmatic (10-17-2012), joshontilt (01-09-2013), JTM (09-05-2012), kthxbai (07-26-2014), Martinnangel (03-21-2015), mezdup (09-08-2012), Mikem53 (05-14-2013), mike_ekim1024 (08-11-2013), MJones_RB (06-08-2015), NRGBalanced (01-14-2013), nubbster927 (09-06-2012), NWFRS (08-10-2014), PERRIN_Chris (09-06-2012), pyro530 (09-12-2012), RebootWindows (09-07-2012), sandman126 (09-05-2012), sinigang_guy (06-16-2013), smg1138 (07-15-2015), soundman98 (03-28-2015), Stu baru (09-07-2012), Subynewbie (09-06-2012), Tbxgz (09-05-2012), Techfl3x (04-23-2013), tripjammer (01-28-2013), TSY (04-05-2013), Turbowned (09-08-2012), TurtleFace (09-02-2015)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Sony

UPDATES!!!

Good Evening Mentlegen!!

So I finished installing the exhaust today! I unfortunately was too busy today to be able to get video and sound clips so I will do that this weekend with help from my friend @2forme. However here are my final thoughts and I will update the third post with sound clips and video this weekend.

We shall start with:

The Final Fitment!

The fitment of this exhaust when it was all clamped together and done was impeccable. Everything in the kit fit into place easily and properly the first time with barely ANY adjustment. Basically all I had to do was hang the muffler and adjust it left and right. I ended up adjusting the S-Pipe a tiny bit to make sure the tips were sticking out evenly but it was barely anything at all. The V-Band clamps are a little tricky to get on if you have never done them before but they were by no means difficult. Once they were on though they were super easy to cinch up and get a tight fit and they hold everything super tight, no wiggling, they are rock solid. This kit is very well designed and very well thought out it's wonderful. It's one of the easiest kits I have ever installed. The cheap Flowmaster kit on my truck was far more difficult to install than this. Once the old exhaust was out of the car the new exhaust took less than an hour to install and I was taking constant pics the entire time slowing myself down.

THE ONLY thing I can fault the exhaust on is I wish it had a little more clearance between the rear cross member and the S-Pipe, I am worried that the S-Pipe will hit the cross member over bumps or with excessive vibrations as there is only about half an inch of clearance. So far I haven't had any problems, but time will tell.

Next is:

The Sound!

The first time I hit that start button, I'm pretty sure I almost came immediately. Needless to say, I love it...no, that's an understatement, I F***ING LOVE IT!!! Idling upon startup the car has a wonderful deep idle growl, then once the first 30 seconds pass the car quiets down and it's just the regular quiet rumble, it's great. It's the kind of rumble that doesn't pound you in the chest, but you can still feel it, and it feels mean.

I then proceeded to drive to Kaizen Tuning which is a 40 minute long trip which consists of all types of driving from 70+MPH cruising down the highway to 45mph rural driving to stop and go traffic. I will say, this exhaust with the resonator is JUST loud enough for me. This is my own subjective taste but I don't like loud exhausts, I do not like calling every cop in the town to my location. @2forme has an SRT Resonated exhaust on his BRZ and I've driven that car and it is FREAKIN LOUD. The Perrin is MUCH quieter by I would venture a guess of almost 15 to 20db quieter which is A LOT. It's not loud enough to be even remotely obnoxious, it was actually quieter then I expected. There is no raspiness even at WOT, it's a very good tone and the volume doesn't dramatically increase with RPM above 3,000rpm, in fact it stays pretty even all the way to redline.

In Stop and Go traffic, the car is barely audible when stopped, just a quiet rumble. When you get going and give it a bit of gas it rumbles your chest just like it should but it doesn't draw any unwanted attention or glares from onlookers for being too jarring. There are no pops or weird noises when shifting, overall a very smooth and consistent sound.

In Rural driving the exhaust is noticeable only when applying the gas but not overly loud under normal acceleration. It's definitely fun and sounds good during regular driving and doesn't have any drone or raspiness that can get on ones nerves. This definitely isn't a fart can off your average riced out civic.

On the highway this thing is exactly how I wanted it, merging onto the highway from the on-ramp, drop gear into 2nd or 3rd and punch that pedal to the floor while accelerating to highway speed and my god. This thing is awesome, still not even close to the deafening noise of the SRT but it sounds MEAN. It's not like an LFA with all the high pitched F1 car sounds, it's much deeper, VERY deep, hard to describe but there is very little high end noise in this exhaust, it's almost all low end. I'm sure everyone in a 100+ yard radius will notice you but it's not deafening, even at WOT you still feel like you can hear the radio. While cruising at 70mph the exhaust is nearly silent, the only time you really hear the exhaust is going uphill or accelerating. There is no drone, not even a hint, nothing, zero, zip, nada, this is definitely an exhaust you can take a long road trip with and not get annoyed.

And finally:

The Conclusion!

This is a great exhaust, I definitely plan on keeping it for a long time, and the great part it it's compatible with future mods since it bolts right up to the existing front/over pipe. Perrin definitely thought ahead with this one, providing bolts so you can bolt up this exhaust with their aftermarket front/over pipe even before it's been released, I definitely like this! Also if you ever decide you want to remove the resonator you can just purchase ONLY the un-resonated mid-pipe from Perrin and replace just the mid-pipe, no need to buy or replace the s-pipe or the muffler after you bought it the first time, definitely a much cheaper option for the future. The fitment and installation of this exhaust is wonderful and also super easy! The look is great as well, definitely looks WAY better than the stock exhaust.

The exhaust sounds great as well in my opinion, if you like loud exhausts, look elsewhere, this exhaust is NOT loud by any means...I doubt even at WOT@7000+rpm it surpasses even 85db. I am very happy about this, I hate loud obnoxious exhausts, and what it lacks in volume this exhaust makes up in smooth sound and tone. This exhausts tone is VERY deep, almost too deep in my opinion and that may be the only thing I could think to fault it on, it's so deep you lose a lot of the sound of the high strung boxer engine, there is very little high end, it can almost sound muted at times. I miss a bit of the high end but I don't mind all that much, again this is my subjective opinion as someone who does not enjoy laud raspy exhausts.

So if you like loud exhausts that sound like an F1 car or Ferrari/LFA, this exhaust is not for you.

If you like a deep tone with a great growl and boxer rumble without earsplitting volume. Buy this exhaust, you can't get a better fit and finish at this price with any other exhaust out right now in my opinion.

My .02 cents

-Trev A.K.A. Sony

P.S. sound clips and video will be up by Monday hopefully!

Last edited by Sony; 12-12-2012 at 12:07 AM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
86ing (06-20-2013), BatStig (06-16-2013), calmtigers (12-06-2013), dunphyjp (09-14-2012), flippy (01-07-2016), HighContrast (03-17-2014), PERRIN_Chris (09-07-2012), so26 (09-08-2012), Sonolin (04-27-2013), Superhatch (04-22-2014), TofuJoe (07-06-2015), Turbowned (09-08-2012), TurtleFace (09-02-2015)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Sony

Sound Clips!

Cold Start

Warmed Up Rev to 7k

Warmed Up Rev to 4k

Please Click the Link and then click the "Download" button in the top right and select "Direct Download."

Please excuse the crappy cellphone pic!

MORE CLIPS!

These clips were done on a DynoDynamics Dyno so please excuse the dyno noise in the background!

Dyno Pull in 3rd Gear

Accel to Highway Speed

UNRESONATED CLIPS!

Unresonated Dyno Pull in 3rd Gear

Unresonated Accel to Highway Speed

Last edited by Sony; 10-10-2012 at 11:23 PM.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
86ing (06-20-2013), akahenry (09-05-2013), BAE (01-01-2013), BatStig (06-16-2013), Books (12-06-2012), cobrabyte (10-11-2012), Curtski96 (05-01-2016), dirtbike250x (05-03-2013), Fly Guy (04-06-2013), gmookher (10-10-2012), hanstperez (06-20-2013), jflogerzi (01-04-2013), MrBodyMassage (09-30-2012), NRGBalanced (01-16-2013), PERRIN_Chris (03-13-2013), radroach (09-03-2013), Superhatch (04-22-2014), Techfl3x (04-23-2013), TurtleFace (09-02-2015), Tylub (10-11-2012), WuTangWindu (04-10-2013)
Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
why resonated instead of non?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Same power output no done. If you plan to one day go full header over pipe mid pipe and cat back resonated is flowy for track but not track pipe loud, I'm loving mine! A few days into it I went nd snugged up the bolts, no torque wrench needed on these bolts...
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
*KID*
86-er

Drives: BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
cant wait for videos... loving the Perring Catback, kinda want to sell my Magnaflow axle back
Old 09-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *KID* View Post
cant wait for videos... loving the Perring Catback, kinda want to sell my Magnaflow axle back
Just curious what attracted you to the manga flow?
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
mach330

Drives: Ultramarine frs
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Looking fwd for the vid/sound clips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #9
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Can't wait to start seeing all of these exhaust systems reviewed to see which ones exceed or fall short.
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #10
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
I'm a bit confused on their decisions.

They go with V-bands, which are more expensive than normal flanges.

But then they hit it with cheap, nasty-looking wire-feed?

I don't get it.

Nice wheels, btw.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (08-10-2014), Sportsguy83 (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #11
mediumbrown

Drives: 2013 Argento Scion FR-S
why do you have 7 garbage containers? *_* lol just messin'.... great stuff! i'm jealous of your access to a lift, size of the garage, and your exhaust
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 AM   #12
mechaghost

Drives: Silver AT Limited
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I'm jealous with the size of your garage! Do you live in a giant building?
mechaghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaghost View Post
I'm jealous with the size of your garage! Do you live in a giant building?
there are 6 units in my building and 8 parking spaces. I only have 1 parkign space, the rest are my neighbors.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Is it finished yet?
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote