follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #99
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Any update on this bad boy?
Old 05-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #100
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Any update on this bad boy?
The car is on a break from racing as we test the oil pressure more and work on a dry sump. The oil pressure is inadequate for the power levels we seek and we are working on a solution. For now I'm just driving it as much as I can for R&D sake and it nust did a round trip from DC to Atlanta.

We will be testing a new oil pump but I first need to replace my oil pressure sensor as it appears to be responding erratically. I might have a temporary solution to the dry sump (accusump) but I need that oil pressure to come up some.

@puma For our custom valved BC Suspension we run anywhere in the 6-10 kg/mm range for a street application. For custom racing stuff it just depends on how much tire and downforce the person is running.
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (05-25-2014), Lonewolf (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #101
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
It's fantastic to see this car back up and running again. I can only imagine how much work it needed to rebuild it after the fire, awesome job!
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #102
Element Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
It's fantastic to see this car back up and running again. I can only imagine how much work it needed to rebuild it after the fire, awesome job!
Thanks! It was a massive amount of work but I'm really looking forward to kicking ass with this car on the race track. I just have to be patient, use my racing experience, and be patient to do it right. This car needs the oiling system addressed for turbo applications north of 300 whp.

Our STi is pushing over 700 whp and I've grenadesd a second 6 speed transmission at Watkins Glen last weekend so I want to put the FRS program back into high gear
Old 10-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #103
jdmblood

Drives: white subaru brz
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
I can't believe I never posted pictures of the boosted car.

bumping an old thread here I know but does anyone know where I can get those rear fenders. in love with the look
jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #104
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks! It was a massive amount of work but I'm really looking forward to kicking ass with this car on the race track. I just have to be patient, use my racing experience, and be patient to do it right. This car needs the oiling system addressed for turbo applications north of 300 whp.

Our STi is pushing over 700 whp and I've grenadesd a second 6 speed transmission at Watkins Glen last weekend so I want to put the FRS program back into high gear
Hi Phil, is there a threshold for oil pressure that should raise concern? I run V710's and the G load is in excess of 1.2 quite often.

Fun watching your early TT3 escapades. I will be at the NARRA Sebring event next weekend running in that category and even with my E85 tune making 205whp it's still way outside the 8.75-10 range for that class. In Jan I plan to make a decision regarding FI, leaning towards a SC for heat management but "Turbo Lust" is a difficult temptation
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #105
Element Tuning

Well just go out there and have a great time. NARRA is excellent and the Whelen USTT runs the best tracks of any series!

People have contacted us about engine builds after spinning bottom end bearings in NA form unfortunately. I suggest using 10w30 for racing even if you have an oil cooler. If you're already at the track you can put a hand vacuum transfer pump on the dipstick tube and suck out 2 quarts and then repleace with 20w50 to bring the average viscosity of the 0w20 up.

At 1.2 g I don't think you have much to be worried about in terms of "oil starvation" with the FA20. Keep the oil level full after each session and you'll be fine.

Many of the tracks I raced at with NARRA the FRS was at a disadvantage because it was so light. That means less HP and at high speed tracks like Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, and VIR where HP nkt weight rules. Next year they brought back NJ and two rounds at Pittsburgh so I think on these tighter tracks the FRS/BRZ is going to shine.

Last edited by Element Tuning; 11-15-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #106
Element Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmblood View Post
bumping an old thread here I know but does anyone know where I can get those rear fenders. in love with the look
Sorry I missed this question.

I sold mine to a friend but they are Skyline rear fender flares from Chaser Aero. The carbon ones I had are around $500 a pair from what I remember.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #107
jdmblood

Drives: white subaru brz
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorry I missed this question.

I sold mine to a friend but they are Skyline rear fender flares from Chaser Aero. The carbon ones I had are around $500 a pair from what I remember.

damn too expensive lmao but thank you anyway
jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #108
Element Tuning

A little update for the Time Attack FRS

Photo by: Liz Weeks

After spending many months working on the engine and the oiling system we were finally able to run reliably at 9k RPM. Not without trials and tribulations, one being the failing rocker that some have experienced.

You can see the inconsistent manufacturing to secure the axle

Internal engine modifications along with a 3 quart oil accumulator, modifying the rocker arms, and the Perrin Oil Cooler now have her running strong.

The first test back was a race at Lime Rock Park for the Whelen USTT and Trans Am series championship. Given that this was the first race back with all the internal engine modifications and external to allow for enough oil pressure, I was nervous about the engine. We also had a new wing design to test.

The engine however was not something to worry about and was screaming along reliably. Check out the video.

Duking it out with the race prepped Vipers and Corvettes however took a toll on the transmission and 4th gear busted. We put up a good fight but had to settle for second place.

Also on our problem list was the STi Brembo front brakes with the OEM rear brakes. For whatever reason I just couldn't brake aggressively without the front wheels locking up. Whenever this would happen the ABS system would fault and turn off.

With one more gearbox left we knew we needed to make a change for the last race at VIR with NASA. We also knew the brake bias was an issue so we decided to go back to the OEM front rotors and calipers to see if we could restore some balance to the brakes. We needed a slight detune for NASA TT2 due to their tire rule but we knew it wasn't going to be enough to keep the transmission in one piece. We custom fabricated a transmission cooler and pump all in hopes of reduced temperatures keep the gearbox alive.

With a nice Perrin shift knob and drift button I was hoping our transmission was going to play nicely!

What can I say but our Perrin Oil Cooler, Perrin 3" Exhaust System, Perrin Lightweight Pulleys, along with the Element Tuning Hydra EMS, Pro Comp Engine, Oil Accumulator, and transmission cooler kept the powertrain singing and reliable! Our custom valve BC Racing BR coilovers and Whiteline sway bar allowed for tenacious grip with those huge 325 slicks and we were able to set a new NASA TT2 lap record at VIR turning a 1:58 lap!

[ame]http://youtu.be/7hS2dsVVglQ[/ame]

Special thanks to Perrin, BC Racing, Whiteline, and Hydra EMS for their support.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (12-16-2014), DarkSunrise (12-16-2014), djdnz (12-28-2014), Lawnik (12-26-2014), Pat (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #109
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Man, I love these updates. It's so nice to see these cars raced hard.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #110
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Man, I love these updates. It's so nice to see these cars raced hard.
Granted it's a bit far from stock, but I love seeing that the twins are just as capable a sports car as any other for racing purposes.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #111
Element Tuning

Thanks. It's not too far removed from stock In all seriousness I try really hard for a few years to keep our cars relatable to the hardcore enthusiasts. Two suspension mods, custom BC coilovers and a Whiteline front sway bar. Lots of bolt on braces and stiffeners, and over pipe and 3" exhaust all from Perrin. As you can see we try to run as many bolt-on from great companies that support these cars. There is $$$$ in the motor but that was a necessity for reliability for this level of racing. The car still has AC!

Hopefully lots of stuff the average enthusiast can model their car after, buy, and install themselves. Next year will bring a new look to the car and some big improvements.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #112
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Why retain the A/C?