follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
RYO

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
< RYO > Car Journal

BRIEF INTRODUCTION
After seeing all the awesome journals in this forum, I decided to keep track of one on my own. This is my first and only car, and kind of my first experience in the enthusiast world. My build will be more oriented to aesthetics, and if my budget permits, performance but I do not plan on tracking my car. I hope after all the modifications, I will still be able to survive the Canadian Winters.

MODS AND PURCHASES
[1] Plastidip Stock Rims
[2] Michelin X-Ice Xi3 215/45/17

UPCOMING MODS
Enkei Raijin 18x8.5 +45mm Front, 18x9.5 +45mm Back
Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225/40 Front, 255/35 Back
5axis Spoiler
Beat Sonic Antenna V2
Magnaflow Exhaust - MAG-15157
Brake Calliper Painted - Red

FUTURE MODS
Coilovers or Springs
Valenti Tail Lights
Spec D Headlights
Seibon TB Front Lip
Sideskirts

Last edited by RYO; 04-16-2015 at 02:09 PM.
RYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
RYO

THE BEGINNING
I purchased a 2014 Scion FR-S at Downtown Toyota in May. Best purchase decision in my Life! I bought one immediately after the first test drive, but I was split between the manual and the auto. I went through the decision over and over in my head, and decided to go with the auto. I loved the manual and my philosophy matches with Jeremy Clarkson "Speed and Power", but in the end, it was my daily driver in the Summer and the Winter. I went with the best with both worlds (convenience and tiptronic) but I lost out on the Fun Driving Factor.

Last edited by RYO; 04-16-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
RYO

[1] PLASTIDIP STOCK RIMS
Instructional Video: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlyB3FbYRRs"
Cost: Low
Difficulty: 1/10

What I Used:
Armour All Rim Cleaner: "http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/armor-all-rim-cleaner-0392979p.html#.VS_xcly4nXE"
3 Cans of Plastidip: "http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-Dip-11-oz-Black-Rubber-Coating-Spray-11203-6/100131010"
Microfibre Towels and Garbage Bags

What I Did:
[1] Cleaned the rims as much as I can with the Rim Cleaner and Scrubbed with Microfibre Towels. Should have went for a brush for a better scrub, but I did not have one available. I was surprised with all the brake dust and dirt on the rims.

[2] Dried the Rims completely and wiped it down to ensure that all the rims were fully dry

[3] I covered the brakes with garbage bags completely.

[4] I put 4 layers in total, waiting about 15-20 minutes between each spray. I would recommend doing it inside a garage, but I did not have one available. There were a lot of bugs, and I had a few get caught in the plasti dip. I would have also used a spray grip for a smoother spray with more control, but I expected the rims to be my winters so I opted against spending more money on equipment I was going to use once. I wish I took more pictures, but I did not see a difference until the 3rd layer. The 1st and 2nd were still very light and I was worried I wasn't spraying enough. Lastly, getting in between the lug nuts were very difficult. Taking off the wheels would give you better angles to spray, but I was happy with my results with the wheels on.

[5] Ripped off the overspray. Very easy. Just make sure to spray around the tires a few times so that the overspray is thick enough to be easily ripped off.

Results:
I thought it gave the car a whole new look, and all it took was a few hours. I was really happy with the results, and would highly recommend if you were also looking to plastidipping your rims. I will post more pictures in the future with any peeling issues.

Last edited by RYO; 04-16-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
RYO

Reserve 3