follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
cynic

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
weight loss

Hi all!

For me light weight is much more important than power ('tho light weight with power is the best). As soon as I purchase my car it is going on a diet. Here is the list so far but if people can suggest anything else it would be appreciated.

Remove rear seats and seat belts
Remove carpet
1 piece racing seat for the driver
Braille lithium battery
Remove spare wheel
Drain windscreen washer bottle
Remove sound system

Long term:
Investigate single exit exhaust,ie remove one side of the "y". (I'm not sure if dual exit exhaust has a performance benefit or if it is just cosmetic).
2 piece front rotors if not already fitted.

With the exception of the exhaust all these items have been removed from my existing car.

Carbon fibre bonnet/hood is not happening as it is not legal here.

Anything I have missed?
Regards,
C
cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
CyberFormula

Drives: gti, nsx, integra type r,porsche911
Wheels.
Passenger seat removal or a bucket for the passenger seat.
Steering wheel (contains airbags) for a sparco/momo/omp
Rear seat head rest removal (if removable)
Side mirrors for 3 incher mirrors.
Spoiler removed
radio removed
Short single pipe exhaust to come out one one underside of the car.

You don't have to get carbonfiber, you can get another material that is just as light if not lighter.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The only thing I'm removing if I get one is the back seat and wheels. This car won't have enough torque for 4 heavy people. I only weigh 154 lbs. So a seat for me and the GF only.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
cynic

Thanks CyberFormula for your reply. I can't replace the steering wheel and remain legal. Cannot remove any airbags There is no way I will compromise the cars road worthiness/legality. I'm still debating on the passenger seat though. Some of my friends are kinda large and will not fit in a racing seat. I don't want exclude their company on short road trips. (Yeah, I know. Everything's a compromise). I am waiting to see how much the standard wheels weigh before deciding if I shall replace them.

Thanks for the suggestion of the side mirrors. I hadn't thought of that. Especially if they are electrically adjustable.

Regards,
C
Old 10-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Depending on how much money you're willing to throw at it, there's probably some components that could get changed out for titanium. A full titanium exhaust will save quite a bit of weight, though it will cost a pretty penny.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
DC87

Drives: Pug
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
The only thing I'm removing if I get one is the back seat and wheels. This car won't have enough torque for 4 heavy people. I only weigh 154 lbs. So a seat for me and the GF only.
Pretty much the same, I'll see what the rear leg room is like first though, I love road trips with mates so would be a shame to only be able to take 1 mate out at a time but if the leg room is crap I'll remove them and reap the benefits when driving in a spritely manner Almost certainly remove the spare wheel tho, I'll run that risk!! Get some of the goo stuff (mind blank on what it is, fills the hole temporarily... dad has it in his A4 instead of a spare wheel...) in its place, much lighter!
DC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
well if you can get an ADR approved carbon fibre bonnet and bootlid, it should be legal
czar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
Thanks CyberFormula for your reply. I can't replace the steering wheel and remain legal. Cannot remove any airbags There is no way I will compromise the cars road worthiness/legality. I'm still debating on the passenger seat though. Some of my friends are kinda large and will not fit in a racing seat. I don't want exclude their company on short road trips. (Yeah, I know. Everything's a compromise). I am waiting to see how much the standard wheels weigh before deciding if I shall replace them.

Thanks for the suggestion of the side mirrors. I hadn't thought of that. Especially if they are electrically adjustable.

Regards,
C
The seats in the car may have airbags btw.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
sfwg

Drives: 2007 saturn ion(dd)
got to the gym lol
sfwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Drain windscreen washer bottle
Might as well remove the washer bottle, pump and lines if you're going to do that.

Quote:
Long term:
Investigate single exit exhaust,ie remove one side of the "y". (I'm not sure if dual exit exhaust has a performance benefit or if it is just cosmetic).
You're not likely to see much of a weight difference between a single and dual exit exhaust due to the way the muffler is oriented. The only difference is ~30cm of tubing and an exhaust tip. That said, any aftermarket exhaust will be lighter than stock, especially if you replace the cast iron exhaust manifolds with tubular collectors (assuming you can do that legally in Oz).

Quote:
Carbon fibre bonnet/hood is not happening as it is not legal here.
Don't worry, it wouldn't be any lighter than stock anyway. The C&D article posted recently said that the car will have an aluminium bonnet, so unless you spend $2000+ on a dry carbon piece, a carbon fiber bonnet will at best be a break even proposition and may even add weight.

As for other places to add lightness:
-Remove power steering motor (electric motors are heavy)
-Remove AC (if climate permits)
-Remove the power door lock actuators
-Carbon fiber boot lid and/or door skins and/or fenders
-Carbon fiber drive shaft
-If you're hardcore enough, remove power window motors/wiring and replace the door, side and rear glass with polycarbonate with snap vents or NACA ducts on the door windows for ventilation
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
If it's mainly going to be street car, I wouldn't bother with this kind of extreme weight reduction. Carpet and stereo should definitely stay, especially if you're going to have a friend riding along. It all seems ridiculous when
Quote:
Some of my friends are kinda large and will not fit in a racing seat.
All that work to offset a passenger's weight, and you'd still probably end up heavier than a stock car with only a driver.
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral_Eyes View Post
If it's mainly going to be street car, I wouldn't bother with this kind of extreme weight reduction. Carpet and stereo should definitely stay, especially if you're going to have a friend riding along. It all seems ridiculous whenAll that work to offset a passenger's weight, and you'd still probably end up heavier than a stock car with only a driver.
The passenger happens only on the street. Never on the track. Carpet & stereo are one of the first things to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
You're not likely to see much of a weight difference between a single and dual exit exhaust due to the way the muffler is oriented. The only difference is ~30cm of tubing and an exhaust tip. That said, any aftermarket exhaust will be lighter than stock, especially if you replace the cast iron exhaust manifolds with tubular collectors (assuming you can do that legally in Oz).
Ahhh that is incorrect. There are 2 mufflers; one on each side of the "y"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwg View Post
got to the gym lol
I weigh 68 kilos after taking a dump. No weight loss is happening there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
As for other places to add lightness:
-Remove power steering motor (electric motors are heavy)
-Remove AC (if climate permits)
My existing car weighs 1070 kilos with me in the car. It is unsteerable with the engine not running. That is, the power steering is required to drive the car. It remains to be seen if the FT-86's steering geometry will allow the removal of the power steering motor but that is a great idea.
I some times drive in 40c heat. The air con has to stay. I suspect (not sure) that replacing rear windows with polycarbonate would not be legal.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. There have items I have not considered before.

Regards,
C
Old 10-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
dalli

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
you guys are doing it wrong...... come on

You want to put the car on a diet? seriously!!?

wrong wrong wrong

this is how its done....

per day:
2 protein shakes ( depends on how long/much you driven her, you dont want her going catabolic ya know)

18 oz of chicken breast

120 grams of some brown rice or whole wheat pasta

5 eggs
1 cup oatmeal with some milk

Since this sexy women carries 200 HP under the hood

we got around 180~190grams of protein for her, we want to have a low carb diet ( isnt she supposed to be mileage friendly?) with some moderate fats.

some of you can also use this for yourself and lose 5~20 kilos
dalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #14
Slide
Banned

Drives: Toyota Aristo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Draining windscreen washer bottle is illigal car won't meet adr and u will be defected.

Have had smartarse mates get done for having it 3/4 empty and getting done... Rare but happens
Slide is offline   Reply With Quote