follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Yelsew's BRZ: The Story of Bloo

I decided it was about time to start throwing in some of my updates, modifications, and DIY projects, so here is a little story that I wrote up a couple of months ago.

Obligatory List of Modifications

Exterior
Lamin-X yellow fog light covers
Rexpeed Hood Dampers
FT86Club sticker for extra hp
*Much more planned*

Interior
Custom Aluminum Shift Knob
*A few more plans*

Exhaust
Open Flash Headers
Zeta Performance Carbon Tip Catback

Engine
Open Flash Tune
Apexi Panel Filter
Carbon Fiber inlet tube
*several more plans*

Suspension/Wheels
Enkei RPF1 17x8 +45 Gloss Gunmetal / Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40r17
Stock wheels / Bridegestone Blizzak WS80 205/50r17
*more suspension planned*

I have always been fascinated with racing and cars. My background is mechanical and automotive engineering, plus a few years designing, building, and racing with the formula SAE team at my school.

My last car was a handed down MINI Cooper S.
This one was the twin screw supercharged model, with a charger whine louder than the exhaust note. It was an amazingly fun little car.

For about a year and a half, I had been endlessly researching a new daily driver. Towards the end of this process, I was almost certain that I would be sliding my butt into a 2011 WRX hatchback every morning. This excited me! I had found the dream car in my budget; AWD grip and turbo power! I had finally found the one: low miles, no mods, and a beautiful pearl white that I was in love with. Summer on 2014 I went to the local scion dealer and test drove a RS1.0 FRS in automatic and liked the feel of the car, but the dealer did not have a manual for me to look at. Even though he desperately tried to get me to leave with the auto RS1.0, I was holding out for a manual.
Then, early in 2015 I drove a manual 2013 BRZ Limited with 20k miles, and went back to pick it up the next day, then joined the forum when I got home! No more guest lurking for me.

My friends thought I was nuts for buying a light rwd car in central PA. How are you getting around in the snow? What about hauling more than yourself and a suitcase? Isn’t it as slow as molasses on dry ice in a freezer on Mt Everest in January? No! They all were wrong, because they were missing the point: The Drive. You all know this, right? I’m surely preaching to the choir.

Honestly it was no less practical or any less powerful than my previous cars, all coupes with barely more space than the twins, plus I’m a tiny guy, and this car fit me like a bright blue Japanese glove.

As of this post, I am about a week away from returning from my rotations, and getting to drive my car again. Hotels and rental cars wear on you when its been almost 6 months, and I can't wait to get back to her.
People just need some #drivermod in their life.

Last edited by yelsew; 03-28-2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Updates!
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
yelsew
Little Member

Garage
I decided to make a custom shift knob. A boring day in the shop, some scrap aluminum, and a lathe produced this little project. Not perfect, but hey, it’s different right?

After driving for about 8 months, I sought my first new part. From my research here, I was drawn towards the Openflash Header and Tablet.
After relieving a couple rolls of wrap and silicon spray from the racecar (she couldn’t use fibrous wrap anymore due to a rules change) I installed the header and flashed the stage 2 tune (plus some cold start and personalization tweaks).

I loved the feel and sound from the header and tune. There was only a slight change to sound from the outside so I looked for a catback to round it all out.
There are an unbelievable number of catbacks available for this car, and in my search for a subtle but decent looking exhaust that didn’t leave too big of a gap between the rear subframe and bumper cover, and didn’t weigh as much as stock, I found this deeply discounted Zeta Catback with carbon tips. Up on my uncle's lift and ON SHE GOES!

Wow I was in love. I couldn't see myself swapping any more exhaust components as the sound is perfect to me.
The carbon tips look great up close, and very subtle from a distance.

I was thinking of wrapping up with a new inlet pipe with a drop in filter, but a surprise birthday gift left me with a newer generation Injen intake. After taking a look online, and reading up on maf scaling, I though, let’s give it a try!

I’ve done a little tuning for the competition car, this should be worlds easier. After about 5 iterations of log and adjust, log and adjust, I think I’m happy with the MAF scaling now. The only thing that still bugs me is the occasional spike plus high IAT’s after long drives or on hot summer days. I’m still thinking of going to a drop in and inlet tube in the near future.

That brings everything up to date as of now. Just waiting patiently to get to drive her again.

Last edited by yelsew; 12-02-2016 at 10:19 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
BDKane01 (12-01-2016), Teseo (12-01-2016)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
yelsew
Little Member

Garage
Weather finally warmed up around here so off come the Blizzaks and on go something exciting!

17x8 +45 Enkei RPF1 in OAKOS exclusive gloss gunmetal. (Big thanks to @OAKOS Automotive for amazing shipping time and great customer service)

Tires are 245/40r17 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

Steering got a little heavier as expected, but the grip went up, and the instability of the winter tires is gone. The tires respond well, and the car still feels playful at lower speeds, as well as more confident at higher speeds. I was worried that I couldn't break traction in a reasonably safe way, but even after scrubbing the tires in well, pulling on the wheel harder and applying throttle will easily step the rear out. Overall I'm extremely happy with them!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (03-28-2017), OAKOS Automotive (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
OAKOS Automotive

Drives: '13 Limited BRZ, Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to OAKOS Automotive
Looking awesome @yelsew.
Gunmetal RPF1's always look sweet on a Subaru Blue Car, especially the BRZ. Looks like you have your car setup very nicely.

-Ty-
OAKOS Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OAKOS Automotive For This Useful Post:
yelsew (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Interesting choice of going 245 on a 8" wide wheel, but if you like how it feels then all good. I did not personally care for what I perceived as a soft sidewall on the Indy 500s when I had them, but nice to hear that you are enjoying them so far. You'll have to post up some longer term thoughts about performance and tread life as they wear in.

Nice find on the Zeta catback, haven't seen that name on the forums in a few years, but I remember they were one of the first to market originally with a catback. Looks like maybe the piping flow and path helps tame out the header's sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
yelsew
Little Member

Garage
Yelsew's BRZ: The Story of Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Interesting choice of going 245 on a 8" wide wheel, but if you like how it feels then all good. I did not personally care for what I perceived as a soft sidewall on the Indy 500s when I had them, but nice to hear that you are enjoying them so far. You'll have to post up some longer term thoughts about performance and tread life as they wear in.

Nice find on the Zeta catback, haven't seen that name on the forums in a few years, but I remember they were one of the first to market originally with a catback. Looks like maybe the piping flow and path helps tame out the header's sound?
For the tires, i wasn't crazy about the Potenza S-04 i was considering first and my coworkers (fellow tire engineers) all suggested the Indy 500 over it for a decent summer that holds its own in casual AX. You are right as these are softer in the sidewall than some, but they are comfortable for every day while still being reasonably responsive. I chose the 245 as I didnt like the 225/45 diameter and the tire wasnt released in 235/40. The tread width at around 8.6" seemed a decent match for the 8" wheel, without any appearance of stretch.
As for the Zeta Catback, i still think they can be found new, and they look similar in design to one of the Fujitsubo exhaust which also is pretty tame
Clipdat (03-28-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
yelsew
Little Member

Garage
After the fact, but last week I installed RCE Yellow springs along with Whiteline camber bolts and SPC lower control arms. Install went great except that one sway bar link bolt was crazy rusted and took quite a bit of time to get back together.

Then Sunday was the BRZ's first autocross!
Event was amazing, and I really enjoyed the course. It was laid out almost more like a road course than an autocross, with long straights and large sweeping turns. I believe I came out second in STX, only to be beat by a Golf R32, who definitely has a leg up on speed with the way this course was set up. Not very forgiving for the low power but agile cars who had a hard time beating out the heavier, high horsepower cars.

Racecomp Engineering (08-20-2018)
Old 06-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelsew View Post
After the fact, but last week I installed RCE Yellow springs along with Whiteline camber bolts and SPC lower control arms. Install went great except that one sway bar link bolt was crazy rusted and took quite a bit of time to get back together.

Then Sunday was the BRZ's first autocross!
Event was amazing, and I really enjoyed the course. It was laid out almost more like a road course than an autocross, with long straights and large sweeping turns. I believe I came out second in STX, only to be beat by a Golf R32, who definitely has a leg up on speed with the way this course was set up. Not very forgiving for the low power but agile cars who had a hard time beating out the heavier, high horsepower cars.

Nice build! Got any pics of your car with the RCE Yellows installed? Im going for a similar set up, but i wanna see how the +45 offset looks with the Yellows.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
yelsew
Little Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
Nice build! Got any pics of your car with the RCE Yellows installed? Im going for a similar set up, but i wanna see how the +45 offset looks with the Yellows.
Ill take a picture today. I wanted to wait until after the springs settled which was a day or two, but forgot to post up.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #10
yelsew
Little Member

Garage
Quote:
Sorry about the incredibly dirty car, but here is where the wheels sit in the arches with about -1.5 degrees of camber on front and rear.

Vital (06-03-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #11
yelsew
Little Member

Garage
Its a little late, but here are a few photos from the last two autocross events I was at. They are all hosted by the Akron Sports Car Club, and all the photos are credit to their photographer, not me.

The first event was nice and sunny, but my second event was pouring rain the entire morning heat!

And event #2

Old 06-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #12
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Nice man looks good! Also does 17x8 +45 on a 245/40 fit easily up front? Or did you need to add camber?
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #13
yelsew
Little Member

Garage
Quote:
Nice man looks good! Also does 17x8 +45 on a 245/40 fit easily up front? Or did you need to add camber?

Fits just fine, even with no camber. From what I saw, the +45 sits inside and the +35 needs camber to do so. Also, plenty of room between the spring perch and the tire.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:00 AM   #14
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You have a near identical setup to me lol, if you're looking for a great budget swaybar combo to add to it even more, grab the smaller of the front sway bars that Perrin offers, and then grab an OEM Subaru WRX (2008-2014) rear sway bar! The front is adjustable to about 25% stiffer or 75% stiffer than stock, and the rear would be about 45% stiffer than stock. Let's you dial on your handling just a bit while taking out even a bit more roll... for cheap!
yelsew (06-04-2017)