follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #99
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpck View Post
sigh... you really need to just relax...

1) I own a 07 tC.
2) There's not really much of a point comparing a turboed tC to a base model, non-GLI jetta is there?
3) You completely missed the point. The point is that the tC, especially the first gen, was targeted at giving the consumers another option. There was no corolla coupe. With the tC, they made a "corolla" coupe. The XRS had the 2AZ-FE. Same as the tC. The tC again is in the same market segment as the civic, jetta (non-gli), golf (non-gti), corolla, ford focus, etc.
4) Using your locking of "yea you would be best to exclude the "turboed" ones, because they start walking on those cars you mentioned when they are turboed.", I can apply the same logic of saying a swapped k20 93 civic is faster than the BRZ. I could say a smart car with the hayabusa engine is faster. Hence the stock for stock. This in turn goes back to the 86 vs. the 370Z where people failed to provide a fair comparison.

Why is it when someone gets challenged for what they say, the person who challenged them all of a sudden just "needs to calm down"? I am calm...lol. We are sharing our opinions no?

1) that's fine
2) I wasn't talking about a stock non-GLI Jetta...lol that would be a waste of gas
3) It's a nice peppy coupe. They sell a Camry with a 2az, does that make a tC a Camry too? Or the same suspension setup from the Celica, so that makes it a Celica as well...come on man.. Are we going to start saying a 240sx is a truck because it has a truck motor. There was someone on YouTube that called the Formula D. FR-S a rwd WRX because it has an EJ swap. Really?
4) Who races stock vs stock? We are in the game of modding cars, not boring stock ones. A FR-S/BRZ is not fast stock. But everyone when they see the 400+ dyno numbers on boost. We like to mod period and no one cares if your stuff is stock.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #100
boucher
Leaux Down Krewe

Drives: 2014 SSM Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverizzles View Post
So it's one thing to have cars trying to race me and give me stare downs, but I have noticed one recurring trend. The Scion TC owners are the ones giving me the most shit on the road. Do you think it's like a sibling rivalry type thing or the fact they are no longer the top of the totem pole?

I'm just wondering why it seems as if TC owners hate the FR-S. For me today was the tipping point as a white TC sped past and cut me off when there was no logically reason to switch lanes. Then slow down, wait for me at the light and rev...
Quoting the OP so as to remind you folks what this thread was about: Dbag TC owners.

Follow me on IG: @rougarou86
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #101
frsguy707

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnL View Post
How come I never see any of these kinds of people... No one disrespects me. Everyone must love me.
I would have to agree
Old 10-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #102
wlfpck

Drives: 2015 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
1) that's fine
2) I wasn't talking about a stock non-GLI Jetta...lol that would be a waste of gas
3) It's a nice peppy coupe. They sell a Camry with a 2az, does that make a tC a Camry too? Or the same suspension setup from the Celica, so that makes it a Celica as well...come on man.. Are we going to start saying a 240sx is a truck because it has a truck motor. There was someone on YouTube that called the Formula D. FR-S a rwd WRX because it has an EJ swap. Really?
4) Who races stock vs stock? We are in the game of modding cars, not boring stock ones. A FR-S/BRZ is not fast stock. But everyone when they see the 400+ dyno numbers on boost. We like to mod period and no one cares if your stuff is stock.
Sigh...

Going off of point 2...

And yet people still modify them.

Going off of point 3...

No. The first gen tC is NOT a camary. The camary is in a DIFFERENT MARKET SEGMENT than the tC. The corolla is in the same. 240Sx is a truck because of the truck motor... again... no... DIFFERENT MARKET SEGMENT. I think the concept you are failing to grasp is the idea of a market segment.

the tC and the FR-S are in completely different market segments. The tC is in the same market segment as the civic, corolla, jetta, golf, focus, etc. The 86 is in the same market segment as the miata, s2000, genesis coupe, etc.

Going off of point 4...

The geo metro is now the greatest car ever. look. it ran 9 secs in the 1/4 mile.
http://www.streetfire.net/video/9-se...tro_168270.htm

Basically, I don't think you get what I'm trying to say at all...

If you have a 4 sec. tC in the 1/4 mile. It will be FAST. But... it is STILL NOT in the same market segment as the 86.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #103
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Sigh...

Going off of point 2...

And yet people still modify them.

Going off of point 3...

No. The first gen tC is NOT a camary. The camary is in a DIFFERENT MARKET SEGMENT than the tC. The corolla is in the same. 240Sx is a truck because of the truck motor... again... no... DIFFERENT MARKET SEGMENT. I think the concept you are failing to grasp is the idea of a market segment.

the tC and the FR-S are in completely different market segments. The tC is in the same market segment as the civic, corolla, jetta, golf, focus, etc. The 86 is in the same market segment as the miata, s2000, genesis coupe, etc.

Going off of point 4...

The geo metro is now the greatest car ever. look. it ran 9 secs in the 1/4 mile.
http://www.streetfire.net/video/9-se...tro_168270.htm

Basically, I don't think you get what I'm trying to say at all...

If you have a 4 sec. tC in the 1/4 mile. It will be FAST. But... it is STILL NOT in the same market segment as the 86.
Point 2... And they still mod them? I'm not quite sure what you mean? You understand that I was saying a non-gli would be a waste of gas for a turbo tC right?

So a 4dr sedan Corolla is in the same segment as a 2dr sporty coupe? Yea, sorry don't agree. And I don't see modded out track prepped Corolla's either. They don't even have the same demographic.

One Geo metro does not constitute such a title or generalization for the car. The same can not be said for the 1st gen tC as it has proven its worthiness with quite a bit of championship trophies in motorsports.

Keep in mind, no one is saying that a tC is a better car than the Twins. I'm just saying you aren't giving credit where credit is due.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #104
wlfpck

Drives: 2015 GTI
Quote:
Point 2... And they still mod them? I'm not quite sure what you mean? You understand that I was saying a non-gli would be a waste of gas for a turbo tC right?

So a 4dr sedan Corolla is in the same segment as a 2dr sporty coupe? Yea, sorry don't agree. And I don't see modded out track prepped Corolla's either. They don't even have the same demographic.

One Geo metro does not constitute such a title or generalization for the car. The same can not be said for the 1st gen tC as it has proven its worthiness with quite a bit of championship trophies in motorsports.

Keep in mind, no one is saying that a tC is a better car than the Twins. I'm just saying you aren't giving credit where credit is due.
Apparently I misunderstood what point you were trying to make with point 2. Now I get what you're saying and agree.

Quote:
1) you should do a little more digging. Just because you've never seen a track prepped Corolla does not mean they don't exist. Follow up with JimmyJun who has personally built high compression 2AZ-FE engines with some being in corollas.

2) Then by that logic, the civic coupe and the civic sedan are in different market segments.

3) Assuming statement 2 is true... In that case, I will "amend" my statement to be that the tC is in the same market segment as the civic COUPE, the focus COUPE, the Colbalt (non-SS) COUPE, the pontiac G5, the 2-Door Golf.

Quote:
I never said the tC is a better or worse car. I said that it was in a DIFFERENT MARKET SEGMENT. No where did I ever say that a turbo tc is slow. No where did I ever say that a turbo tc was pointless. In fact I never even touched those topics.

It was other people that disagreed with your argument of the tC's potential.

----------------------

If you disagree with this... then so be it. Honestly, this has completely strayed off of what the original topic was about. That topic is about tC owners being bitter.

I, for one, am not bitter with my tC. Like I have STATED MANY times already. In MY OPINION (as in not a fact), the tC is a "corolla coupe". You can disagree with this opinion as it is my opinion. I know what the tC (gen1) is capable of. I have followed tCPete's threads about his N/A build along with JimmyJun and Timmertc. I have friend who owns a turbo tC and I have driven it while my car was out of commission due to an uninsured driver hitting my car.

Either way... Back to the original post by the thread starter...

I believe that your issue is not the fact that they drive a tC and therefore they are bitter. I believe that the issue could stem from a lot of potential things...

1) Could be the demographic of your area. If a high school kid in your area is awesome for having a tC, then maybe he's upset that someone now has a better car. (in other words, if the nicest car is a tC, he's upset he doesn't have the nicest car anymore).

2) Maybe the driver watched too much Jersey Shore and feels the need to fight everyone and then go to the gym followed by a tanning session. Which then makes it the fact that the driver is a douche and just happens to be driving a tC.

3) Maybe it's just people in your area. You just happen to notice the tCs more because you are either consciously or subconsciously looking for tCs.

4) Maybe you're doing something consciously or subconsciously that is direct at tC drivers that piss them off.

The list could go on and on and on. Either way, by observing a handful of douche bag tC drivers, I don't think that it is statistically valid to attribute the fact that all tC drivers are bitter and jealous to the whole population of tC drivers.

Either way, I'm done. This thread at this point is just pointless. There's no statistical way of getting to a valid conclusion, nor is there really a feasible way of testing the hypothesis that "all tC drivers are bitter because they want a fr-s". Any arguments are just going to be based off of opinions that people can dispute with what their opinion is.

If the original poster thinks that all tC drivers are bitter, then not much we're going to say is going to change that.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #105
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Yes, I'm sure the handful of tC owners that you have come across are complete douche bags can be applied broadly to all tC drivers. Well applying your logic... let me go ahead and apply the same thing and say that all the weird car crimes happen in Florida and thus Florida sucks. I'll base this off the fact that most of the car crime stories on Jalopnik are based in Florida.

Let's talk "sample size". I'm going to go out on a limb here... but chances are... I don't think the "cocky" attitude or w/e attitude is the car they drive. Could just be the people themselves... Because if hypothetically speaking, you know 1000 different tC, SI, Cobalt SS owners... that is still too small to represent all of the U.S. All it could possibly represent is Florida.
But that's why I said personal experience, I didn't say every TC owner was a douchebag. maybe they were just assholes that just so happened to drive a TC. My cousin drove a TC and we're good friends and business partners , his best friend on the other hand was an asshole. Just personal experience.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #106
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
There are d-bags driving every car out there. The same person driving their TC like an asshat would be driving the exact same way if he was in a BMW/Audi/Merc/etc. It's pretty clear they are like that because of who they are, not what car they drive, but that's not going to stop stereotypes. Getting mad because people who drive the same car as you, drive them like assholes, is a pretty stupid reason to get mad.

I'm sure there are plenty of assholes that drive one of the twins...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shagaliscious For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (10-21-2012), einzlr (10-21-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #107
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I personally know 4 tC owners/former owners. None of them are d-bags, in fact, all are very nice guys. But I still think the car is nothing more than a tarted-up 2dr Camry. It's a "lifestyle car".

Quote:
That contradicts what you just said a moment ago, but whatever floats your boat.
What I said was that the tC is not a performance vehicle. However, anything can be made to go fast with enough time and money. Hell, given the budget I could build a mobile home that could win lap records. Doesn't mean I should, or that it's worth it other than to say that I could.

My point, if I even have one now that my head is spinning from this thread, is that there are a lot of poseurs out there who think they bought a fast car and get butthurt when they see something better than their mediocre coupe, hence the need to "prove themselves". There, I think that was it. Dammit, it's too early, I need more coffee! I just read the specs on the 1st and 2nd gen tC, and they're really not terrible, but I still don't think there were any MR2 or Supra owners out there who rushed into Toyota dealers to trade their cars in when the tC was released. Maybe some FWD Celica guys; that I could see.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.

Last edited by Turbowned; 10-13-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #108
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
What I said was that the tC is not a performance vehicle. However, anything can be made to go fast with enough time and money. Hell, given the budget I could build a mobile home that could win lap records. Doesn't mean I should, or that it's worth it other than to say that I could.

My point, if I even have one now that my head is spinning from this thread, is that there are a lot of poseurs out there who think they bought a fast car and get butthurt when they see something better than their mediocre coupe, hence the need to "prove themselves". There, I think that was it. Dammit, it's too early, I need more coffee! I just read the specs on the 1st and 2nd gen tC, and they're really not terrible, but I still don't think there were any MR2 or Supra owners out there who rushed into Toyota dealers to trade their cars in when the tC was released. Maybe some FWD Celica guys; that I could see.

This is the contradiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned
There are some people that take these cars to the track; why I don't know. However by and large, the tC isn't bought by true performance enthusiasts.

If anything can be made to go fast, then the comment of "why I don't know"...is a contradiction. If it's fast, it don't matter right? If that person enjoys being at the track, you going to walk up to him and tell him he/she is not a true performance enthusiast because of the car they chose to drive? Even if that guy makes you look silly by lapping you...He's still not a true performance enthusiast? Wow....FAIL. Like I said, whatever floats your boat bro. If YOU yourself were a TRUE performance enthusiast, you wouldn't be as shallow minded as you seem to post here. Food for thought....A WIDE RANGE of vehicles show up at track days. FWD, RWD, AWD people. And they don't give a crap what car you are driving, it's about the bond and pursuit of doing something you like. It's about the person on a race track First and about the car Second. I've seen countless dudes sign up for Advanced run groups because they have SAID performance car, and then get their doors blown off by a FWD Honda, Scion...etc. Go tell my friend with an 11sec Scion xA who works for PTuning building turbo systems and helping tune cars, that he is not a true performance enthusiast.

Who are you to tell him, his vehicle isn't worth it or it shouldn't be done? He/she probably does it because of people like you trying to tell them what car they should be driving. Here's a newsflash....It's their car, not yours sir
Old 10-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #109
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
ROAR!!!!!!!
I am a bitter Celica GT-S owner. So every chance I get I cut my girl friend off when she is driving her FRS. Ill run outside every time she comes home just so I can start up my celica and rev at her.

I am just messing around. We generally get the thumbs up from TC guys. It's integras we have giving us the hard stare. We have had a hyundai genesis cut us off and break check us as well. We were just cruzin on the highway.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #110
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Wow dude, obviously the people who track their cars ARE NOT THE PEOPLE I AM TALKING ABOUT. They represent a very select few owners, and at no point did I say all tC owners weren't performance enthusiasts, it was a generalization based on the majority. You're referencing the outlier in the equation and trying to make it sound as if it's the norm. Now it's true that most vehicles do not see track time regardless, however in the case of a sports car, generally a larger percentage of their owners use them in at least some sporting manner, because that's what they were designed to do.

Yes, people swap 3SGTE's in Camrys and put down 600+hp. People tune Yugos, I'm sure. I bet you there's even a 10-second Checker taxi cab out there, somewhere. We've all seen the RWD 2JZ-powered Scion xB, no doubt. BY DESIGN from the factory, however, they are NOT performance vehicles. People (and it's entirely their prerogative, it doesn't bother me what they do with their time and money, so don't call me closed-minded because I actually love oddball stuff like that!) choose to invest time and money to make them perform. The Scion tC was NOT designed to tackle racetracks, and you know it as well as I do.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #111
stanm

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Had a guy in a brand new tC try to race me on the highway...
He jelly
Old 10-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #112
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Wow dude, obviously the people who track their cars ARE NOT THE PEOPLE I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Up until this point, a lot of your post have seem like nothing but generalized blanket statements.

Is it a born pedigree sports car? No...and no one claimed it was. Does it perform at the track...yes. So your comment of "don't know why people track them"....doesn't make much sense.

Last edited by SnapOv3st3r; 10-13-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Closed Thread