follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Seanzky

Drives: Slow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brand new 2018 86 already with a CEL!

After leaving work today, driving my car like I normally do, I suddenly saw the CEL appear. Luckily, I live close to work. As soon as I got home, I took out my dad's FIXD dongle and checked it on my phone. (The screenshots were uploaded to imgur which can be found in the link below.)

There were two issues found. Here is the exported log for one of those issues which is also in 2 of the 5 screenshots:
Code:
Fuel system status:
Closed loop, using oxygen sensor feedback to determine fuel mix
Calculated engine load: 22.7 %
Engine coolant temperature: 167.0 F
Short term fuel trim—Bank 1: 1.56 %
Long term fuel trim—Bank 1: -3.91 %
Intake manifold absolute pressure: 36 kPa
Engine RPM: 669.5 rpm
Vehicle speed: 0.0 mph
Timing advance: 6.5 degrees
Intake air temperature: 86.0 F
MAF air flow rate: 2.53 g/s
Throttle position: 13.3 %
Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage: 0.79 V
Oxygen Sensor 2 Short term fuel trim: 0.0 %
Run time since engine start: 253 s
Oxygen Sensor 1 Fuel–Air Equivalence Ratio: 1.0
Oxygen Sensor 1 Voltage: 2.2 V
Commanded evaporative purge: 0.0 %
Fuel Tank Level Input: 88.6 %
Absolute Barometric Pressure: 102 kPa
Oxygen Sensor 1 Current: 0.0 mA
Catalyst Temperature: Bank 1, Sensor 1: 948.2 F
Control module voltage: 12.497 V
Absolute load value: 19.22 %
Fuel–Air commanded equivalence ratio: 12824.31
Relative throttle position: 1.57 %
Ambient air temperature: 80.6 F
Absolute throttle position B: 30.2 %
Accelerator pedal position D: 13.33 %
Accelerator pedal position E: 12.94 %
Commanded throttle actuator: 0.0 %
Engine oil temperature: 134.6 F
What should I do? Can anyone tell me what's wrong here? I don't understand what happened. I haven't done anything to the car that relates to the engine or drivetrain except change the engine oil, transmission oil, and rear differential oil after break-in. I also removed the stock intake tube and sound resonator tube, replaced with a Perrin one. Other than those, nothing else that would cause a CEL was done. I also make sure my gas cap is tightly closed after filling up. I've only used 93 octane since I bought the car. These logs were taken with the car sitting on idle as well. The engine idles as normal, no funny sounds, nothing out of the ordinary. Should I just clear the codes? Should I take it to the dealership?

https://imgur.com/a/xfmo6fJ
Seanzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2709653

But it's under warranty so take it back to the dealership.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
22R (09-01-2018), ScoobsMcGee (08-31-2018), Seanzky (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Seanzky

I just saw the exact two posts with the same codes. I apologize for opening this thread. I would have searched but I didn't remember the codes.

Thank you!

Can I have a mod please delete this thread? Sorry again.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2709653

But it's under warranty so take it back to the dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzky View Post
After leaving work today, driving my car like I normally do, I suddenly saw the CEL appear. Luckily, I live close to work. As soon as I got home, I took out my dad's FIXD dongle and checked it on my phone. (The screenshots were uploaded to imgur which can be found in the link below.)

There were two issues found. Here is the exported log for one of those issues which is also in 2 of the 5 screenshots:
Code:
Fuel system status:
Closed loop, using oxygen sensor feedback to determine fuel mix
Calculated engine load: 22.7 %
Engine coolant temperature: 167.0 F
Short term fuel trim—Bank 1: 1.56 %
Long term fuel trim—Bank 1: -3.91 %
Intake manifold absolute pressure: 36 kPa
Engine RPM: 669.5 rpm
Vehicle speed: 0.0 mph
Timing advance: 6.5 degrees
Intake air temperature: 86.0 F
MAF air flow rate: 2.53 g/s
Throttle position: 13.3 %
Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage: 0.79 V
Oxygen Sensor 2 Short term fuel trim: 0.0 %
Run time since engine start: 253 s
Oxygen Sensor 1 Fuel–Air Equivalence Ratio: 1.0
Oxygen Sensor 1 Voltage: 2.2 V
Commanded evaporative purge: 0.0 %
Fuel Tank Level Input: 88.6 %
Absolute Barometric Pressure: 102 kPa
Oxygen Sensor 1 Current: 0.0 mA
Catalyst Temperature: Bank 1, Sensor 1: 948.2 F
Control module voltage: 12.497 V
Absolute load value: 19.22 %
Fuel–Air commanded equivalence ratio: 12824.31
Relative throttle position: 1.57 %
Ambient air temperature: 80.6 F
Absolute throttle position B: 30.2 %
Accelerator pedal position D: 13.33 %
Accelerator pedal position E: 12.94 %
Commanded throttle actuator: 0.0 %
Engine oil temperature: 134.6 F
What should I do? Can anyone tell me what's wrong here? I don't understand what happened. I haven't done anything to the car that relates to the engine or drivetrain except change the engine oil, transmission oil, and rear differential oil after break-in. I also removed the stock intake tube and sound resonator tube, replaced with a Perrin one. Other than those, nothing else that would cause a CEL was done. I also make sure my gas cap is tightly closed after filling up. I've only used 93 octane since I bought the car. These logs were taken with the car sitting on idle as well. The engine idles as normal, no funny sounds, nothing out of the ordinary. Should I just clear the codes? Should I take it to the dealership?

https://imgur.com/a/xfmo6fJ
Quote:
I just saw the exact two posts with the same codes. I apologize for opening this thread. I would have searched but I didn't remember the codes.

Thank you!

Can I have a mod please delete this thread? Sorry again.

Put the stock intake tube and sound resonator back on before you go to the dealership, anything that messes will MAF will void your warranty when they go to check the intake....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
guybo (09-01-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
Seanzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Put the stock intake tube and sound resonator back on before you go to the dealership, anything that messes will MAF will void your warranty when they go to check the intake....
Ah, too late. I already took it. Could the intake tube really do that kind of damage or do you mean Toyota will look for any excuse so they can to skate out of covering the warranty?

Last edited by Seanzky; 08-31-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Ah, too late. I already took it. Could the intake tube really do that kind of damage or do you mean Toyota will look for any excuse so they can to skate out of covering the warranty?

If you installed it weird you could've messed up the maf, but more importantly it depends on the dealer and they might just blame on the intake tube.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 09-01-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
Seanzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
If you installed it weird you could've messed up the maf, but more importantly it depends on the dealer and they might just blame on the intake tube.
Understood. I installed it perfectly with no leaks. I've done bolt-on installs before on my other cars and I can't see how this install, which was much simpler by far, could have messed up the MAF. I'm not saying the MAF couldn't possibly be messed up but I can't see how my install could have done it. I also installed it three and a half weeks ago with no issues whatsoever.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #8
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
What are the codes exactly? At least you are honest and did not try to fool the dealer by changing it back to stock, but the truth is dealers will often look for reasons not to cover a warrantee repair if the car has been modified.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
BRZnut

I saw the codes in your link...some type of air/fuel imbalance between cylinders. Whatever that means.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #10
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Understood. I installed it perfectly with no leaks. I've done bolt-on installs before on my other cars and I can't see how this install, which was much simpler by far, could have messed up the MAF. I'm not saying the MAF couldn't possibly be messed up but I can't see how my install could have done it. I also installed it three and a half weeks ago with no issues whatsoever.
Good to know, let us know what the dealer says. I'd be wary of them just outright voiding the warranty on the intake tube.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:39 PM   #11
Seanzky

I'll keep you all updated then. Wish me luck! For now, I'm driving a RAV4. Sigh.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #12
Seanzky

So I spoke to Toyota today. Tomorrow will be 1 week without my car but only because of the long weekend last weekend. They said Toyota has a TSB for this issue now. They (the techs) said the same thing others mentioned in the other thread. They said this has to do with the valves (getting stuck?) and that they have to pull out the engine to fix the issue.

My two choices, of course, are to let them fix it or say no and take my car back. If I choose to take it back, the issue doesn't go away and can potentially create a bigger issue. If that happens, it will no longer be covered under warranty because I didn't take the offer to have the first issue resolved. If I let them pull the engine and "fix" the issue, I have this uneasy feeling of the job not being done right and possibly end up with "extra nuts and bolts", if you know what I mean. Sigh.

Alas, I opted to have them fix it. They assured me they have really good technicians who know what they're doing. They asked for another week to hold onto my car. I asked them to please be careful with my car and do the job right which the manager said he'd make sure of it. They also offered to have it cleaned, washed and detailed once done.

Here's to hoping that; ONE, the issue is indeed the valves and that what they have in mind actually fixes it, TWO, they don't scratch, ding, scuff up my car, THREE, everything is restored to factory specs and exactly the way I gave it to them, LAST BUT NOT LEAST, nothing I have in my glovebox or trunk goes missing. Sigh. Pray for me. Lol.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:39 PM   #13
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
So I spoke to Toyota today. Tomorrow will be 1 week without my car but only because of the long weekend last weekend. They said Toyota has a TSB for this issue now. They (the techs) said the same thing others mentioned in the other thread. They said this has to do with the valves (getting stuck?) and that they have to pull out the engine to fix the issue.

My two choices, of course, are to let them fix it or say no and take my car back. If I choose to take it back, the issue doesn't go away and can potentially create a bigger issue. If that happens, it will no longer be covered under warranty because I didn't take the offer to have the first issue resolved. If I let them pull the engine and "fix" the issue, I have this uneasy feeling of the job not being done right and possibly end up with "extra nuts and bolts", if you know what I mean. Sigh.

Alas, I opted to have them fix it. They assured me they have really good technicians who know what they're doing. They asked for another week to hold onto my car. I asked them to please be careful with my car and do the job right which the manager said he'd make sure of it. They also offered to have it cleaned, washed and detailed once done.

Here's to hoping that; ONE, the issue is indeed the valves and that what they have in mind actually fixes it, TWO, they don't scratch, ding, scuff up my car, THREE, everything is restored to factory specs and exactly the way I gave it to them, LAST BUT NOT LEAST, nothing I have in my glovebox or trunk goes missing. Sigh. Pray for me. Lol.

That's a relatively well known issue that's been found on 18s, if you're going to have distrust with a dealership that just follows a procedure on techstream you really can't buy any new car. If they did something wrong or "took" something you car is still warrantied for several years and several thousand miles should something else arise related to that fix they will repair it again.

The fact you're asking a toyota dealership to return things to factory spec

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 09-07-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:15 AM   #14
BRZnut

So how can the engine that has been around since 2013 have issues like this in a 2018 car? The 2018 are not a "first year model" and are using the same powerplant we have been all using since 2013. Shouldn't all the bugs have been worked out by now?