follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Update: I replaced the surface mount resistors on the Legacy controls, and confirmed that the replacement worked with my multimeter. It's not the neatest soldering job I've ever done, but those surface mount resistors are freaking tiny. I really would not recommend doing the Legacy to Impreza conversion unless you've got a fair amount of electronics experience.

I finally came up with a good mounting idea - I will install it on the trim to the left of the HVAC controls. It's just above where my right knee is when driving, so it will be very easy to access, and I'm going to mount it with dual-lock tape so I can remove it if necessary.

I got a metal L-bracket and drilled holes to line up with the mounting points behind the SWC module.

I attached it with double-sided tape where the two flat surfaces met, then went around it with hot glue

I trimmed off some excess plastic from the silver bezel

I'm going to plasti-dip them both

On the back, I'm going to use a big strip of dual-lock, plus two rubber feet. The idea is that the dual-lock will hold it in place, and the rubber will press against the edge of the HVAC surround so that it doesn't come off when you press it.

nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
nalc

Rockin' and rollin'

[ame]http://youtu.be/icmGX-dFC_0[/ame]

Wiring inserted into the 28 pin connector (Pin 21 SWC Audio, Pin 22 SWC Phone, Pin 3 SWC Ground/Common)

Cut a notch into the radio surround. I have a plasti-dipped interior and I know it looks shitty. I wanted to try out the look of thee AUDM base model black interior before dropping $200 to buy the parts.

Here it is installed, I trimmed the top right corner of the SWC button bezel, it was sticking out too far and actually touching the bottom left corner of the head unit. Probably will repaint this, again, this is shitty plasti-dip.

I know the video is pretty crappy and shaky, I took it with my phone, and the pinging noise is that it was raining (I had a cover on my car, that's why it was so dark)

Everything works.

From top to bottom, left to right

Volume control

Seek - a short press goes to previous/next preset, a long press tunes

Mode - a short press does next mode, a long press does mute

Voice command - I guess it lets you give it a voice command, I don't have voice commands set up

Pick up / Hang up phone - I didn't have a phone connected.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
would you sell this to make it a plug and play solution? or can you make me thise to plug into my headunit and i'll ifgure out mounting on my own? PRETTY PLEASE?!?!?!?!
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #18
nalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
would you sell this to make it a plug and play solution? or can you make me thise to plug into my headunit and i'll ifgure out mounting on my own? PRETTY PLEASE?!?!?!?!
It's pretty much a "splice, insert, and play" solution

Buy Impreza SWCs

Salvage pins from a PC front panel button, LED, or USB header, stick them in your 28-pin connector.

Splice 5 wires.

Where are you in NJ? I have another set of Impreza controls (as you may recall, I bought Legacy controls, couldn't get them to work, bought Impreza controls, realized I could use the Legacy controls, converted them, and kept the Impreza controls unmolested to sell when I had some free time), and enough pins to connect them. I'm right over the Walt Whitman bridge in PA. You could stop by one weekend, or I could just toss the stuff in the mail to you.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #19
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

i'm at 08837. i'd love to come by and make this work, i can always remount it later on to where i want.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #20
nalc

You're welcome to come by PA, that's a little far for me to want to drive to meet up with you though. If I solder stuff in advance, it's a 5 minute job to install them. Or, if you want, I can just solder up the pins to the right wires and mail it to you if you'll cover the $50 that I paid for the SWCs on eBay. Or, if you're comfortable with soldering, I'll just send the SWCs and the pins and let you know what to connect. It's pretty straightforward, although that didn't stop me from inserting them incorrectly the first time I put it together. You just chop off the SWCs, which have six wires. One is illumination positive, one is illumination ground, one doesn't need to be connected (it is to share a ground with the cruise control), and the remaining three go into the 28-pin connector. There's no need to even open the SWC module (my SMD soldering was all to get my Legacy SWCs working, the Impreza ones are plug-n-play)

I'm curious what you have in mind with mounting, my current solution is fairly crude. I was thinking of trying to fit them to the left of the head unit, then using bondo and a lot of elbow grease to combine the head unit bezel and the SWC bezel, then having the whole thing painted. You've got a fantastic custom interior, so I'd really like to see how you fit them in.
The Following User Says Thank You to nalc For This Useful Post:
Jive Turkey (09-17-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
nalc

I figured I may as well consolidate the info here.

The 2013 Impreza has an option for the same Fujitsu Ten nav head unit as the BRZ. All trim levels of the Impreza use the same SWCs, and all are compatible with the BRZ. The Legacy SWCs look the same, but due to different resistance values, they are not compatible. If you're buying used, not by model, the Legacy ones have a single connector, whereas the Impreza ones have two connectors. The SWCs are sold as an assembly with the cruise control buttons.

There are six wires going to the SWC side of the assembly - Black, Blue, White, and Orange went directly from the connector to the SWCs, and Pink and Purple went from the Cruise control module to the SWCs.

Black, Blue, White, and Orange went to the SWC. Red, Green, Yellow, and Brown went to the CC, and Pink and Purple went between SWC and Cruise Control.

Black is ground for the illumination.
Pink is positive for the illumination.
Purple is another ground (connected to the black wire internally)
Blue is the SWC audio (connect to Pin 21 of the 28-pin harness)
Orange is the SWC phone (connect to Pin 22 of the 28-pin harness)
White is the SWC common (connect to Pin 23 of the 28-pin harness)
MaximaZero (08-13-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #22
nalc

Update: I finally got around to hooking up the illumination. If you insert a stripped wire into each of the two pins, the buttons illuminate properly (they switch on with the rest of your interior lights)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...6&postcount=24

Connector D

Pink on the SWCs is Illumination+ which goes to Pin 10 (I believe this was purple on my car)

Black on the SWCs is Illumination- which goes to Pin 15 (this was black with a silver stripe on my car)
Old 09-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post
You're welcome to come by PA, that's a little far for me to want to drive to meet up with you though. If I solder stuff in advance, it's a 5 minute job to install them. Or, if you want, I can just solder up the pins to the right wires and mail it to you if you'll cover the $50 that I paid for the SWCs on eBay. Or, if you're comfortable with soldering, I'll just send the SWCs and the pins and let you know what to connect. It's pretty straightforward, although that didn't stop me from inserting them incorrectly the first time I put it together. You just chop off the SWCs, which have six wires. One is illumination positive, one is illumination ground, one doesn't need to be connected (it is to share a ground with the cruise control), and the remaining three go into the 28-pin connector. There's no need to even open the SWC module (my SMD soldering was all to get my Legacy SWCs working, the Impreza ones are plug-n-play)

I'm curious what you have in mind with mounting, my current solution is fairly crude. I was thinking of trying to fit them to the left of the head unit, then using bondo and a lot of elbow grease to combine the head unit bezel and the SWC bezel, then having the whole thing painted. You've got a fantastic custom interior, so I'd really like to see how you fit them in.
where in PA are you?

and i was thinking of some how molding it some where but idk where, somewhere in the center console ideally...but that depends, can i take the buttong apart or they need to stay in that housing for the steering wheel...
Old 09-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #24
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
wat
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #25
nalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
where in PA are you?

and i was thinking of some how molding it some where but idk where, somewhere in the center console ideally...but that depends, can i take the buttong apart or they need to stay in that housing for the steering wheel...
I'm in Media PA.

You can take the buttons out of the silver trim, but the buttons themselves can't be separated, they are all on the same PCB.

That's as much as you can take it apart. Also note that the buttons aren't all quite in a plane, they are a bit concave between the vol/seek and mode/voice, and a bit convex between the mode/voice and pickup/hangup. You wouldn't be able to mount them to a flat plane.
Jive Turkey (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

thats like an hour and a half from me. i'm trying to think where these can be mounted...i just HATE the tiny touch screen buttons on the brz nav. wish there was a way to somehow fit this to the steering wheel, maybe the bottom piece can he cut/molded to fit this?
Old 12-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #27
nalc

I've since relocated the SWCs to the steering column. They're very inconspicuous there, and still pretty easy to access. Looks a lot nicer than the old bracket by the kneepads.

I've also found a nice feature. If you hold down the AUDIO button for more than a second, you can turn off the screen of the HU. The audio will still play, but the screen stays off (totally off, not just black) until you press the AUDIO button again.

With my SWCs, I can navigate next/previous track with the HU screen off, as well as volume. Next/previous track works normally, you just don't see anything, and volume will temporarily turn the screen on, showing a black screen with a volume bar at the bottom for a couple seconds, and then turn the screen off again.
chas3wba0 (12-16-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #28
t.chk

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Hey, This is pretty cool. it annoys me that with the touchscreen you have to go through menus meanwhile the hand controls get shortcuts!

Are the switch modules too large to mount onto the steering wheel itself? or did you not want to complicate your life that much?

Does anyone know if there is some special piece that needs to be used to route the wiring through the steering wheel? or do you just let the wire twist?

Mainly because I would want to either mount them on the front or the back of the steering wheel rather than on the steering column.

This car would have been perfect if they just included the darn'd controls.
t.chk is offline   Reply With Quote