follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2018, 01:40 AM   #1
Seiryuu

Drives: ZC6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When (time-wise) to do first oil change?

Hello all,

I bought my BRZ back in January but only racked up around 2400 miles so far. I took it in for an oil change last month but to my surprise, the Subaru dealer actually refused to and really doesn't recommend it, insisting that it is too early. The advisor also said that I should run the full 7000 mile break-in period. I mentioned that it's been over half a year since I've bought the car but the advisor said it doesn't matter because the break-in oil is special and needs to do its job.

I understand the break-in process and I am not trying to start a debate about when (miles-wise) to do the first oil change since according to my research, that number is all over the place and is probably as factually concrete as folk remedies.

I'm now set at changing the oil at 3k miles, seeing how it will probably take me until next year to reach 7k. Just for peace of mind.

So just one question... can the break-in oil really sit for a bit longer than regular oil to run the extra miles needed for the full procedure?

Thanks!
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:56 AM   #2
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wait...7k miles for break in oil? Since when? When I bought mine the dealer threw in a free oil change at 1k miles for the break in. After that it's supposed to change every 6 months or 6k miles. I hadn't been driving much until just these past few months (put about 5500 miles on the car in the first year) and the service advisor said I could go 1 year between oil changes if I wanted to, but they had no problem with sticking to a 6 month interval if I wanted to go ahead and do that even though it would be <3k miles between changes.

Edit: Got my break-in oil change done at 1300 miles, about 3 1/2 months. Dealer didn't have a problem with that, or with doing the 6k/6month change about 6 1/2 months after I took delivery of the car, despite odometer only being at 2700 (so only 1400 since the break-in change). That's when the service advisor told me I could go ahead and wait a year between changes if I wanted, but they left it totally up to me what I wanted them to do.

Last edited by Brink; 08-15-2018 at 02:09 AM.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
The manual has the proper break in procedure. Take the manual with you and show them. Also, after break in the oil change interval is every 6 months or 6,000. I guess if you dont drive your car enough 3-4K mile interval is fine.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:35 AM   #4
ZAZ

Drives: 2012 ZN6 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oils ain’t oils sol!

Hi, I just went through same concerns having purchased a six year old 86 with an odd reading of just 4300 km or under 2000 miles.
I made a decision to drop all fluids.
Brake fluid clutch fluid.
Then under floor.
Removed skid pans and dust straw and debris stones and stuff.
Then drained all the oils ......
The sump oil ran out like black sooty water.
The differential oil glugged out like green slime.
The gearbox almost as bad.
I found grey sludge on both the magnetic drain plugs in diff and gearbox.
I flushed out the oils.
Replaced with correct gl grades.

Now the jury is out on oil for engine.

I spoke with wrx sti guys I spoke to repco and Atlantic reps and toyota techs.
The drivers handbooks show different oils for different handbooks in Eu ja and USA

Due to hot Australia summers on 40 c I have put in zero w 30 for a while until 5000 km and will change the oil every year.

Toyota had not serviced this vehicle or made any logbook entries.

Even though aircraft horizontally opposed enginrs like Lycoming are tractor engines they are run in on mineral oil for 100 hours before going to multi grade shell detergent oils.

Oil is cheap enginev metal is not cheap.

Let the debate roll on.
ZAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:43 AM   #5
ZAZ

Drives: 2012 ZN6 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Warranty book instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Wait...7k miles for break in oil? Since when? When I bought mine the dealer threw in a free oil change at 1k miles for the break in. After that it's supposed to change every 6 months or 6k miles. I hadn't been driving much until just these past few months (put about 5500 miles on the car in the first year) and the service advisor said I could go 1 year between oil changes if I wanted to, but they had no problem with sticking to a 6 month interval if I wanted to go ahead and do that even though it would be <3k miles between changes.

Edit: Got my break-in oil change done at 1300 miles, about 3 1/2 months. Dealer didn't have a problem with that, or with doing the 6k/6month change about 6 1/2 months after I took delivery of the car, despite odometer only being at 2700 (so only 1400 since the break-in change). That's when the service advisor told me I could go ahead and wait a year between changes if I wanted, but they left it totally up to me what I wanted them to do.

FWIW
Warranty book suggests km OR monthly events.

It clearly states whichever is the sooner calendar time or miles driven.
ZAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:15 AM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAZ View Post
FWIW
Warranty book suggests km OR monthly events.

It clearly states whichever is the sooner calendar time or miles driven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
Hello all,

I bought my BRZ back in January but only racked up around 2400 miles so far. I took it in for an oil change last month but to my surprise, the Subaru dealer actually refused to and really doesn't recommend it, insisting that it is too early. The advisor also said that I should run the full 7000 mile break-in period. I mentioned that it's been over half a year since I've bought the car but the advisor said it doesn't matter because the break-in oil is special and needs to do its job.

I understand the break-in process and I am not trying to start a debate about when (miles-wise) to do the first oil change since according to my research, that number is all over the place and is probably as factually concrete as folk remedies.

I'm now set at changing the oil at 3k miles, seeing how it will probably take me until next year to reach 7k. Just for peace of mind.

So just one question... can the break-in oil really sit for a bit longer than regular oil to run the extra miles needed for the full procedure?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
The manual has the proper break in procedure. Take the manual with you and show them. Also, after break in the oil change interval is every 6 months or 6,000. I guess if you dont drive your car enough 3-4K mile interval is fine.

I suggest you all read this if you haven't:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98730

It is indeed whatever is sooner the time or the mileage. However I changed my oil at 3k anyway after break in to prep for running e85. If you plan to do any mods I would change the oil and filter anyway for longevity so the new engine doesn't have degraded fluids.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:19 AM   #7
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
The power and drivetrain are broken in well before most people think and what the manufacturer states, 90% of break in has been done after the first few heat and load cycles.

I lean on my cars and bikes from new, I swap out all oils and fluids at around 500km, then every 5k km for engine and yearly for gearbox and diff.

Maybe if you drive like a grandmother or do alot of regular long drives you can wait for the service intervals, but I lean on it all the time, the car also sees alot of short trips during the week, environmental conditions and specific use are factors that I care more about for regular maintenance, here, in AU, its generally hot and dusty, in manufacturers speak "severe conditions", which they say to change earlier.

And thats just for using it as a daily, tracked, the service schedule is more intensive.

When it comes to serving I always err on the side of caution, serving is relatively cheap, and fun, broken, worn and damaged parts are not cheap, or fun.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #8
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I suggest you all read this if you haven't:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98730

It is indeed whatever is sooner the time or the mileage. However I changed my oil at 3k anyway after break in to prep for running e85. If you plan to do any mods I would change the oil and filter anyway for longevity so the new engine doesn't have degraded fluids.
Yes, I am aware of this. Plus I have a BRZ and the Subaru manual says 6000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first lol... Probably should follow their recommendation as this is their engine. Also, if OP is not going to be driving his car much he will not hit those interval numbers so better to change early than letting the oil just sit in there
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:47 AM   #9
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Seiryuu I avoid going to Subaru dealerships for small maintenance items for these reasons and more. I had a service writer deny my request to do a trans and fluid diff change at my 45k mile interval, but was more than happy to add on unnecessary stuff I didn't need (induction cleaning) and my bill was outrageous (though I had several service items done, still crazy).

Get some tools, ramps, and start DIY'ing your maintenance and change your oil as often as you like. I personally find 7000 miles too long and usually change at around 3k intervals.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #10
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
Get some tools, ramps, and start DIY'ing your maintenance and change your oil as often as you like. I personally find 7000 miles too long and usually change at around 3k intervals.
Heheh, in season I'd be changing the oil every 2-3 weeks if I did it at 3k. I'm a sales rep so the car sees 1k-1.5k miles a week between March and October. If I take it to a shop to get it changed they seem to use Mobil 1 more often than not and that turns to water around 6k but when I bring my own oil I use Castrol Edge extended (in the gold bottle) so I'm totally comfortable letting that go to 7500 or more. One of these days I'll remember to get a Fumoto valve so I can just do it easily in my driveway.