follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #4229
Zombii

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey guys, this is my first post here, but I just wanted to ask a few questions after my first track day. This is also my first sports car, and the first car in which I'm in charge of everything (last car was a hand-me-down), so forgive me if these are some really basic questions.

First off, I had an absolute blast, and I'm trying to go back as soon as I can, but I'm a little worried about tracking my DD. Is there anything I should look out for in regards to this?

Second, do I need to change my fluids after every track day? My car is still on factory fluids (5.5k on the odo), and I clocked about 70-90 miles at my last track day.

Third, I experienced a little fade towards the end of the day (after some especially hot laps and a few hotter-than-I-should-have-been corner entries), before the track day, my pedal feel was instant, with bite being pretty strong after only about 1-1.5cm of travel (or at least that's what it felt like), now it feels like I can get a good 1.5-2 inches of travel before I get anything, and the bite is far less aggressive than it was before. Do I need to replace my pads? Should I keep this set a little longer? Is there a way to inspect them without a jack or putting the car on a lift? Also speaking of brakes, what is the factory fluid, DOT3? Is there a specific brand that most people run as DOT4? How hard is it to replace the fluid myself? What would it run me at a shop? Speaking of shops...

Fourth, for days that require inspection, how do I get that done? Do I just go to a shop/dealer and ask for an inspection and hand them the sheet? Is it done at the track?

Finally, what do I need to bring to a full-scale HPDE? (My first trackday was an 'instruction' day that was supposed to be a lead-up to an HPDE instead of jumping in all at once.) Do I need to bring extra parts? Tape for numbers? A jack? I realize there's another thread for this, but I'm just wondering if everything mentioned in that thread is really necessary if it's not a full race-spec car.

Sorry if these are a lot of questions, or if they've already been asked/answered.
Zombii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #4230
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombii View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post here, but I just wanted to ask a few questions after my first track day. This is also my first sports car, and the first car in which I'm in charge of everything (last car was a hand-me-down), so forgive me if these are some really basic questions.

First off, I had an absolute blast, and I'm trying to go back as soon as I can, but I'm a little worried about tracking my DD. Is there anything I should look out for in regards to this?

Second, do I need to change my fluids after every track day? My car is still on factory fluids (5.5k on the odo), and I clocked about 70-90 miles at my last track day.

Third, I experienced a little fade towards the end of the day (after some especially hot laps and a few hotter-than-I-should-have-been corner entries), before the track day, my pedal feel was instant, with bite being pretty strong after only about 1-1.5cm of travel (or at least that's what it felt like), now it feels like I can get a good 1.5-2 inches of travel before I get anything, and the bite is far less aggressive than it was before. Do I need to replace my pads? Should I keep this set a little longer? Is there a way to inspect them without a jack or putting the car on a lift? Also speaking of brakes, what is the factory fluid, DOT3? Is there a specific brand that most people run as DOT4? How hard is it to replace the fluid myself? What would it run me at a shop? Speaking of shops...

Fourth, for days that require inspection, how do I get that done? Do I just go to a shop/dealer and ask for an inspection and hand them the sheet? Is it done at the track?

Finally, what do I need to bring to a full-scale HPDE? (My first trackday was an 'instruction' day that was supposed to be a lead-up to an HPDE instead of jumping in all at once.) Do I need to bring extra parts? Tape for numbers? A jack? I realize there's another thread for this, but I'm just wondering if everything mentioned in that thread is really necessary if it's not a full race-spec car.

Sorry if these are a lot of questions, or if they've already been asked/answered.

Read some of the sticky threads in "Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting" http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39, then ask away.
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:53 PM   #4231
Zombii

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1 View Post
Read some of the sticky threads in "Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting" http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39, then ask away.
I did read most of those threads, just wanted to post here to get a little discussion and clarification on some of the points.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #4232
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

1) Track day insurance. There's a fairly even split of those who are in favor of it and those who are not. Personally, I am and always have had track day insurance since this is my daily/only car. I can afford to pay it off if I were to stuff it, but would prefer not to. You generally shouldn't be tracking a car you aren't willing to write off if the worst happens, but track day insurance will give you some piece of mind. Check out: https://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance

If you do track day insurance, and know you'll be doing multiple HPDEs within a given year, my advice is to purchase a multi-event pack to save money and try to sign up for as many two day HPDEs as possible, since policies are on a per-event-basis (not per-day).

2) Short answer, no. But you should be checking your oil and brake fluid before and after every event. You should be at the least bleeding your brakes before each track day. Other fluids change intervals will vary depending on what fluids you put in, how hard you drive the car and how much you drive in between events daily. There are lots of threads on here covering each type of fluid change in more detail.

3) Brake fade after a track day is pretty normal, particularly if you were on stock pads/fluid. You might be able to get an idea of pad thickness without jacking the car up and removing the wheels/pads, but it's probably a better idea to just do that. You can check for glazing and chunking then too. The fade is most likely caused by boiling your fluid. You should at least be bleeding your brakes before every event, but you're going to be changing it fairly often if you're getting into HPDEs.

It's pretty easy to do yourself with the right tools, but simpler if you have a friend. As for brands, most people seem to go with Motul RBF600 or RBF660. I use ProjectMu G-Four 355, and there are other options. All are good options, but I'd definitely recommend reading into it more. The guys at CSG were very helpful when I was picking pads and fluid for track days. Oh, and on the matter of pads, pick up a set specifically for track days. Track pads and street pads both have intended uses, and neither are ideal for the duty of the other. CSG will be great at helping you pick the right pad for your experience level and the tracks you will be driving at.

4) Depends on the organization, some do require you to get the inspection done before coming to the event. Most, at least in my experience, will do them the morning of the event. I've always gotten my tech done day of at the track.

5) You shouldn't need to bring extra pads (depending on how much life is currently in the ones you have). But as I suggested above, it's a good idea to have a dedicated set of track pads you switch to either before going to or at the track, I suppose then your OE/street pads are a backup set. Numbers are normally supplied in the form of a decal that goes on your window, but I would check with the organizing group you sign up with. A jack, tools, extra brake fluid and oil, sunscreen, a camping chair, water, and snacks/other drinks are all good things to bring with you as well. If you don't have a jack, I'd recommend getting one so you can at least take care of your brakes at home. (The simple tools required for that job are a good idea too). I wouldn't worry too much about running out and buying a bunch of tools to have handy for your first few track days. Every HPDE you go to will have just about any tool you can think of between all the participants, and nearly everyone will be happy to loan you tools and/or a helping hand.

There's a lot more detailed information on these questions, and on some good ones you haven't asked yet and/or are likely to have in the future, in this thread. Read lots, don't be afraid to ask questions and have fun!
strat61caster (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:23 PM   #4233
dp1
driving smoother faster

Quote:
I did read most of those threads, just wanted to post here to get a little discussion and clarification on some of the points.
OK, let's say you did

on track prep:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25485
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111225

on fluids:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111251

on brake pads: use track pad compounds on track (not street or mixed) and inspect before and during as needed. use quality brake fluid like torque rt700 or similar. don't ride brakes on track or you will overheat pad and fluid. in time you will learn to brake later and less. if you push your car, your OEM pads will fade soon enough.

on how to pick a shop to do build/maintain/inspect tracked car:
- there is a section on that in my build thread
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79895
- reasons why I only change wheels and pads and don't do other wrenching though I know how: my life depends on it + I may not recognize if/when I do something wrong + when the shop does fluid changes, they can also inspect many other things and find things that I wouldn't + my life depends on it

on what to bring on track:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25485
- you at least want to be able to torque lug nuts (not right after runs when hot) with a torque wrench (Harbor Freight ones are cheap and good enough) and measure tire pressures (hot pressures should usually be 2-4 PSI higher than what's on the door frame stickers).

enjoy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dp1 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-25-2016), juliog (10-25-2016), Shark_Bait88 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 11:33 PM   #4234
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

1. I recommend you get an oil cooler. If you're worried about tracking your DD, you can purchase track-day/HPDE insurance from Lockton.

2. No, but you do want to change more often than factory intervals, as you ARE driving your car harder, and subjecting it to more heat, wear, and friction.

3. That increased travel is degraded brake fluid. Lack of response in the brake pads relative to pressure, is brake pad fade. You want to upgrade both your pads and fluid, for track duty. You can swap in stock pads between track days, but most weekend warriors eventually opt to leave in their race pads permanently. Once properly bedded, noise isn't an issue, and the only real consequence is increased brake dust.

4. It depends on the organization; ask them if it is a "self-tech", "at the event", or if it needs to be done professionally, and act accordingly. Some best practices are to always check your oil level, tire pressures, and lug-nut torque.

5. Check out this thread. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25485

Great questions, and you're asking in the right place. We're here to help.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
dp1 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 04:30 AM   #4235
Zombii

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
1. I recommend you get an oil cooler. If you're worried about tracking your DD, you can purchase track-day/HPDE insurance from Lockton.

2. No, but you do want to change more often than factory intervals, as you ARE driving your car harder, and subjecting it to more heat, wear, and friction.

3. That increased travel is degraded brake fluid. Lack of response in the brake pads relative to pressure, is brake pad fade. You want to upgrade both your pads and fluid, for track duty. You can swap in stock pads between track days, but most weekend warriors eventually opt to leave in their race pads permanently. Once properly bedded, noise isn't an issue, and the only real consequence is increased brake dust.

4. It depends on the organization; ask them if it is a "self-tech", "at the event", or if it needs to be done professionally, and act accordingly. Some best practices are to always check your oil level, tire pressures, and lug-nut torque.

5. Check out this thread. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25485

Great questions, and you're asking in the right place. We're here to help.
1. What's the best oil cooler to get for track use 1-2 times per month, that may also be usable for FI use if I wanted to get into that down the road (once my warranty expires)? I plan on getting track day insurance now.

3. What are some well balanced pads for street and track use? If I go through the process of changing them myself and find out that the process is relatively simple, I might just go ahead and swap them. If it helps, the track I'm driving at is the NCM Motorsports Park.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #4236
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
If I go through the process of changing them myself and find out that the process is relatively simple, I might just go ahead and swap them.
Taking my time, I can swap the brake pads in about 45 min.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #4237
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
1. What's the best oil cooler to get for track use 1-2 times per month, that may also be usable for FI use if I wanted to get into that down the road (once my warranty expires)? I plan on getting track day insurance now.

3. What are some well balanced pads for street and track use? If I go through the process of changing them myself and find out that the process is relatively simple, I might just go ahead and swap them. If it helps, the track I'm driving at is the NCM Motorsports Park.
I like the Jackson Racing Oil cooler, and later on you buy a different bracket/lines if you went the JR supercharger, or you may need a custom solution.

Keep in mind, track day insurance doesn't cover if you blow up the motor/trans/diff/etc, it only covers you hitting someone, you hitting something, or someone else hitting you. And most have a deductible in the $3500-5000 range..........so just be prepared for that as well.

My only brake pad suggestions come from the Miata world where many run Carbotech's......but it seems as though some are switching to GLocs.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #4238
CSG Mike

Quote:

1. I can't give you an answer, without knowing what FI setup you're going to get in the future. The best answer i can give you, assuming you're going to just re-do the oil cooling, is Jackson Racing.

3. There is no "jack of all trades". That being said just get an entry level race pad. G-loc R10, Project Mu Club Racer, Winmax W5 type pads, and a good brake fluid.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 07:29 AM   #4239
Blue Gt

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Question SCCA T4 class?

Is anyone on the forum racing in this class or planning to next year?
I am thinking about making the jump with my car. DP
Blue Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #4240
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gt View Post
Is anyone on the forum racing in this class or planning to next year?
I am thinking about making the jump with my car. DP
@Jackson Racing is
Old 11-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #4241
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Going to need another set of tires for next years HPDE season. Starting the research a bit early. Suspension is 100% OEM. So far, I've used RE-11 and RE-71R. The RE-11 were nice and consistent, but the grip wasn't quite as good as the 71R. However, the 71R seemed to get slick after a few laps when driven hard.

I use Toyo R888's on my Vette, and really like that tire so far. Any thoughts on these tires for the BRZ, especially the new R888R? Anything else I should consider that could have same or better grip with better consistency throughout a session?
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #4242
dp1
driving smoother faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_BRZ View Post
Going to need another set of tires for next years HPDE season. Starting the research a bit early. Suspension is 100% OEM. So far, I've used RE-11 and RE-71R. The RE-11 were nice and consistent, but the grip wasn't quite as good as the 71R. However, the 71R seemed to get slick after a few laps when driven hard.

I use Toyo R888's on my Vette, and really like that tire so far. Any thoughts on these tires for the BRZ, especially the new R888R? Anything else I should consider that could have same or better grip with better consistency throughout a session?

What size rims/tires do you want to run