follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Kilfer

Drives: Whiteout 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Right Price?

Hi Guys
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Finally graduated from college so looking to purchase a FRS before I spend the rest of my life behind a desk.
I've been dropping by a few dealerships across the south bay, and the best deal I've been offered is 1600 off msrp for a 14 model, and 2500 off msrp for a 13 model.
Is that a good deal/ anyone recommend any dealers in the area? Most dealers I speak to bring up the whole "pure price" spiel. When I mention that another dealer is offering me that discount, they pale a little, and go talk to their sales manager, who offer me a discount, but have never matched that initial discount. So I'm wondering if that's the lowest price that south bay dealers are willing to go. I don't want to lowball anyone, so I'd rather not waste people's time by making outrageously low offers.

I did forum searches on prices paid, and either the prices people post seem to be all over the place, or the numbers posted are > 1 year old.
Looking to purchase a 14, so if anyone could throw some feedback, tips, or just numbers my way it would be much appreciated!
Kilfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
California market is vastly different from say Texas Indiana or New York, this is best posted in the Nor Cal subforum.

That being said it was once very difficult to get a car at MSRP (I don't consider dealer add-ons at their markup to be MSRP), if you can walk out the door <$28k on a brand new low mileage car (<15 miles) in the Bay you've snagged a deal imo.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
The '15s are starting to hit the dealers so your leverage should increase on both the '14s and '13s in the next few weeks. Be patient and do not be afraid to travel a little bit to save some money. Good luck on your new car purchase.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Kilfer

gotcha . I'm just looking to not get ripped off, especially because the 15's are here.

I'm looking for an asphalt or whiteout automatic (haven't learned manual yet T_T), and the only one the dealer has in stock has the spoiler and armrest, for a total of 650 in extras O.O
I'm not interested in either of those features, especially at that price (even though it is what the parts are priced at), but there doesn't seem to be many 14 frs left in the san jose area (probably > 15 with 5 dealerships combined and dwindling), so I don't have many options.

Anyone have any experience getting their car through a dealer trade (dealer getting their stock from another dealer)? I'm thinking of purchasing a base model with this dealership (since they were the most upfront about their discount/gave me the biggest), but they would have to get the car from another dealership.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilfer View Post
gotcha . I'm just looking to not get ripped off, especially because the 15's are here.

I'm looking for an asphalt or whiteout automatic (haven't learned manual yet T_T), and the only one the dealer has in stock has the spoiler and armrest, for a total of 650 in extras O.O
I'm not interested in either of those features, especially at that price (even though it is what the parts are priced at), but there doesn't seem to be many 14 frs left in the san jose area (probably > 15 with 5 dealerships combined and dwindling), so I don't have many options.

Anyone have any experience getting their car through a dealer trade (dealer getting their stock from another dealer)? I'm thinking of purchasing a base model with this dealership (since they were the most upfront about their discount/gave me the biggest), but they would have to get the car from another dealership.
You won't learn manual until you try. It really is one of the easiest manuals I've ever driven, and I was pretty inexperienced with manual when I bought mine. It also makes it cheaper!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
strat61caster
-

Capitol? Personally I don't trust them I wouldn't be surprised if you show up and the car is not what you agreed to over the phone. Had better luck with Steven's Creek which is the other big one in the area but still not a guaranteed safe bet. But on paper a dealer trade should be zero problem, if it's less than ~100 miles away they'll likely have a guy drive it and put miles on the clock, since it's his job odds are he'll take it easy and no undue wear and tear will occur, but he could be setting the cruise control all the way (under break in) or doing a couple clutch drops, depends on how picky you are.

In my experience, be willing to walk away, it'll save you stress and you'll get the car you want eventually. There's lots of dealers in the area.

Lots of people regret not getting the manual, a lot of people drive MT for the first time when they take this car off the lot (I stalled it twice on my first test drive), it's really up to you and it may be impossible to guess at this point, sitting in stop and go up 85 for two hours a day I had zero regrets getting the MT, someone else may hate it. I bet you could schedule a drivers training session within the next 2-3 weeks in a MT for <$100, an hour should be more than sufficient especially if you put some effort into understanding it beforehand.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
Cliu91
Cliuless

Drives: Whiteout Scion FRS 2014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Keep in mind if you are going auto that they are probably less in demand/harder to sell... use this to your advantage. I think you have a good chance of pushing that '13 model further down simply because it sat in the lot for so long.
Cliu91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
here in upstate NY dealers are not moving on the 13's at all. Asking 22+ for a used with 15+ kmi on them. Had to deal with a dealer 3 hours away to find a good deal.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Kilfer

Thanks for the tips guys, the dealership I was referring to was Palo alto XD. Would dealer trade cost extra normally?
Old 07-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
here in upstate NY dealers are not moving on the 13's at all. Asking 22+ for a used with 15+ kmi on them. Had to deal with a dealer 3 hours away to find a good deal.
That sucks! I got my '13 w/ 4k miles for $23.5 OTD
Old 07-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #11
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys, the dealership I was referring to was Palo alto XD. Would dealer trade cost extra normally?
Depends, the one I had experience with was free as the dealerships were owned by the same entity and was within three hours roundtrip, if it's far away and/or from a competing dealership then there may be an extra transfer fee, not terribly unreasonable for a couple hundred bucks to cover the cost of transporting it.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #12
Kilfer

Thanks for the tip. I'm just worried that the 14s will run out in the area. Not sure what rate they are selling at, but the last 2 dealerships I inquired at already sold the car I was interested in.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #13
jskurucz
Yep!

Drives: 2015 WRX Sti
Quote:
Hi Guys
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Finally graduated from college so looking to purchase a FRS before I spend the rest of my life behind a desk.
I've been dropping by a few dealerships across the south bay, and the best deal I've been offered is 1600 off msrp for a 14 model, and 2500 off msrp for a 13 model.
Is that a good deal/ anyone recommend any dealers in the area? Most dealers I speak to bring up the whole "pure price" spiel. When I mention that another dealer is offering me that discount, they pale a little, and go talk to their sales manager, who offer me a discount, but have never matched that initial discount. So I'm wondering if that's the lowest price that south bay dealers are willing to go. I don't want to lowball anyone, so I'd rather not waste people's time by making outrageously low offers.

I did forum searches on prices paid, and either the prices people post seem to be all over the place, or the numbers posted are > 1 year old.
Looking to purchase a 14, so if anyone could throw some feedback, tips, or just numbers my way it would be much appreciated!
Learn manual. I bought a '15 Sti without knowing how to drive manual. As long as you have someone to teach you, it should be easier to learn. Don't let it intimidate you. Also, be ready for the depreciation of these cars. My '13 frs auto with 13k miles has been sitting on the dealer since April and the price is at 19k. These cars are depreciating fast.
jskurucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #14
Kilfer

I'd love to learn manual, except none of my nearby friends or family know how to . I'd feel bad ruining a beautiful new car with my incompetence in shifting