follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #29
sshole
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
It is cheap because it is a ripoff of the Greddy turbo kit, thus reducing the R&D costs significantly. It is made in Taiwan.
It's not a ripoff of the Greddy kit, it is the Greddy turbo kit. Greddy doesn't manufacture their turbo kit in-house.
sshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #30
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshole View Post
It's not a ripoff of the Greddy kit, it is the Greddy turbo kit. Greddy doesn't manufacture their turbo kit in-house.
So they're overproducing at the factory and spun it off into another venture?
Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #31
sshole
Banned

Quote:
So they're overproducing at the factory and spun it off into another venture?
I don't know what kind of contract SBD has with Zage, but I'm fairly certain it's not "SBD gets to sell all the excess turbo kits."
Old 06-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #32
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Wrong forum here I think
Old 06-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #33
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Sbd is a good company distributing for a not so moral company. OP doesn't know enough about cars to go FI and needs a bigger budget. I'm going to bed now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Jyn (06-24-2014), SirBrass (06-24-2014), sshole (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #34
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshole View Post
I don't know what kind of contract SBD has with Zage, but I'm fairly certain it's not "SBD gets to sell all the excess turbo kits."
That's interesting. From what SBD has been saying (about visiting Zage in China, etc.), I assumed that Zage had simply copied the design of the Greddy kit and began manufacturing them with some of their little additions to claim it is their own kit. I hadn't heard that they cut out the whole process and just straight up stole from the Greddy-backed manufacturing line. Where'd you hear that from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Sbd is a good company distributing for a not so moral company. OP doesn't know enough about cars to go FI and needs a bigger budget. I'm going to bed now.

Find a good enough shop and have deep enough pockets and you don't have to know about anything about your car.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #35
sshole
Banned

Quote:
That's interesting. From what SBD has been saying (about visiting Zage in China, etc.), I assumed that Zage had simply copied the design of the Greddy kit and began manufacturing them with some of their little additions to claim it is their own kit. I hadn't heard that they cut out the whole process and just straight up stole from the Greddy-backed manufacturing line. Where'd you hear that from?
This was the impression I got from SBD when they first introduced the kit. Now you have me second guessing.

Quote:
Find a good enough shop and have deep enough pockets and you don't have to know about anything about your car.
Be born with enough money and you don't have to know anything about anything.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #36
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Ugh.

Anyway there has been two threads recently where greddy said zage does not make their kit. That zage copied it. Zage is in china and greddy says there's is made in Taiwan. Sbd smartly will not comment and now makes it very obvious they are a zage distributer and its not an SBD kit. Just something sbd sells. That's a smart way to avoid being sued. One member does claim his zage kit sold by sbd has a greddy elblem on it that was ground off.

I feel like I'm one of the last people to build my car on jackstandsnin my driveway.

sshole (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #37
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Oil pumps can fail on turbos, and they require tapping the oil pan, but a self-contained system requires its own fluid change and watching of fluid level. Cooling is also better through the engine oil. If a system has its own reservoir and cooler, it needs its own pump, lines, radiator, and so on. Lots more failure points. More importantly, there are superchargers that tie into the engine oiling system, and there are turbos that use their own lubrication. The whole point you made has little to do with the supercharger vs turbo question other than, maybe, what is the preferred method of cooling, and what is offered in mainstream kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Generally speaking, a supercharger should be more reliable and less fuss because it is internally lubricated and does not have to tap into the engine oil supply. Also, boost tends to be more consistent and thus safer because it doesn't rely on a wastegate to meter boost pressure (again, generally speaking). In the FR-S/BRZ, the primary catalytic converter is located in the exhaust manifold, so that has to be eliminated if you install a turbo. Therefore, your likelihood of passing emissions without doing any funny stuff to the ECU becomes a challenge as well.

You can upgrade to a smaller pulley to run more boost, and if you max out the Vortech or Rotrex blower, like you could max out a turbo, you can always upgrade to a larger unit.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #38
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
In a basic theoretical sense, it comes down to heat management (Turbo) versus more mechanical parts (Supercharger). In practical terms, it really comes down to the quality of the design and installation and whether the needs and capabilities of the driver are met.

I would do more homework before deciding based purely on input on this thread.

Start with learning the basics of how an internal combustion engine works (air in, fuel in, mixture compressed, mixture ignited, piston rotates crank, exhaust out). Then learn how both FI solutions work so you can see what's being offered on the market so you can better process their designs and user feedback related to your needs.

You don't need to have years wrenching on your car, but I would recommend a basic mechanical understanding of how your engine works before going FI.

A few key things. Pay particular attention to how compression ratio and boost with valve timing and duration affect detonation and pre-ignition based on the fuel to be used in the car. Then look at the whether the stock rods and pistons (then transmission, axles, wheels and tires, etc.) will support your desired power output.
Boxer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boxer486 For This Useful Post:
KGB (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #39
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Im looking at the vortech website and its about $6000 US plus tax, plus install. The turbo kits are a bit cheaper right?.
you can generally get a "tuner" kit for $4200. its about $5000 with a tune.

with that kit you're looking at 250rhp

i had an exhaust and we maxed out the fuel pump on the dyno at 260rhp.

throw in a fuel pump, and aftermarket injectors to get the most out of it.

if you want a little more, you'll need a smaller pulley.

for even more, E85

thats been my experience. i currently have everything but E85 and she's a blast to drive. its great for DD and having fun on the way to work or taking a spirited cruise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinning Sushi View Post
I don't think forced induction is the route you want to take if you don't know much about how your car works imo.
why do you have to be an asshole. i had no clue how boost works when i first got my car. i started asking questions and reading up on the forums. i have a basic idea now and pushing 14psi. however im no where near an expert and im still learning every day.

we are here to help each other out, not bash.
370hp on E-85
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to draggin_az For This Useful Post:
#maverick# (06-24-2014), KGB (06-24-2014), mwjcyber (06-26-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #40
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Ecutek with racerom is 800 $ not including dyno time.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #41
KGB

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
thanks guys for all your helpful comments. Looks like I still have a ton of research to do. ill try to find a decent tuner shop in Vancouver BC and ask them for a advice also. Thanks again gentlemen.
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #42
86SPEED

Drives: The silvertrooper 10 series
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Also check out Kraftwerks kit, the C38 with a tune from delicious is and the most basic supporting mods is around 5K, over 300 whp around 400 on e85, but you'll need clutch with that. separate belt system so if a belt broke for what ever reason, your not stranded..
86SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86SPEED For This Useful Post:
ericmpena (06-24-2014), KGB (06-24-2014), Marchy (06-24-2014)