follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #71
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Looks good bob, thanks for sharing such detailed pics!!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #72
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
Installed mine just now. No issues with the Grimmspeed hood struts as the mounting bolt provided by Grimmspeed was plenty long, lightweight battery was another matter. I improvised.
My lightweight battery made things a tight fit as well, but it just barely fit. I'm using the Braille B2015 with the @ptuning mount kit.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (02-10-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #73
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Installed mine just now. No issues with the Grimmspeed hood struts as the mounting bolt provided by Grimmspeed was plenty long, lightweight battery was another matter. I improvised.
Did Grimmspeed provide longer bolts for mounting the lower hood strut brackets? I reused the original painted bolts to mount mine like the instructions stated. I also ordered the Radium dual catch cans, now I'm worried that the painted bolts might not be long enough

https://www.grimmspeed.com/content/i...ne_version.pdf
HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #74
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I wanted to be sure that the keytab on the strut mount stayed fully engaged to the body so I wouldn't have any rotation issues. It might work the other way around but I didn't try it that way.
Fair enough. I'll try a couple options later today and post up my results later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
Did Grimmspeed provide longer bolts for mounting the lower hood strut brackets? I reused the original painted bolts to mount mine like the instructions stated. I also ordered the Radium dual catch cans, now I'm worried that the painted bolts might not be long enough

If you email Grimmspeed, they can send you the bolts. They did for my master cylinder brace which was missing one bolt for some reason. Very helpful customer service!
The Following User Says Thank You to that_guy For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (02-10-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #75
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
OK, finally got around to installing mine. Like @whataboutbob, I also found that the easiest way to install this with the Grimmspeed hood struts was to simply install the Radium bracket over top of the Grimmspeed bracket. There is enough tolerance in the Radium bracket and the car to do this without issue. Spacing the Grimspeed bracket up would require doing both sides of the car (if running a single can) and it puts the hood hinges dangerously close to the plastic shroud below the windshield.

I also found that the instructions were a little lacking in explaining how to route the return hose for the PCV. The stock line that you tap into is molded in a specific way that it doesn't agree with bending in the direction required for the Radium catch can install. I worked with mine a few times before deciding on a route that seemed the most natural for the factory hose. I'd really like to convert everything to compression fittings and line down the road and go direct to the block with this, but for now, this will work.

Anyways, here's my shots. I got one with the hood closed (set my camera on timer) to show the clearance between the hood strut and Radium bracket.

Fit and finish is superb and everything bolted up without a fuss. Very happy with the outcome.

I have the petcock valve but I installed this in my condo and don't have all my tools here. This summer I'll take it out and put the petcock valve in to make draining that much easier.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to that_guy For This Useful Post:
Figo (07-23-2015), HRTROB (02-10-2014), KoreanJesus (12-11-2018), normancw (02-09-2014), whataboutbob (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 02:27 AM   #76
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Yes, I used the bolts that were provided in my kit.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #77
Victor Draken

Drives: Toyota Gt86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Guys what's the perk of having a ultralight battery and installing the pvc catch can?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #78
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:

On our car we still use the original painted bolts for the lower bracket. However, if you didn't receive the new longer bolts I'm pretty sure you were part of the initial group buy. After that group buy we decided to include the longer bolts with the kit. BUT if you're going to be adding this bracket for the radium cans I am fairly positive the stock painted bolts will not be long enough, so shoot us an email and we'll get you the longer bolts!

Thanks to you two folks (That_guy and whataboutbob) that provided pictures of the fitment with our hood struts, now we know for sure when customers call in an ask if they'll fit

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
normancw (02-10-2014), whataboutbob (02-12-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #79
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Draken View Post
Guys what's the perk of having a ultralight battery and installing the pvc catch can?
space
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #80
MysteryMachine

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, 2002 Bugeye OBS
I'm curious what your cans catch in a week on the PCV line - I have had my can (not a radium one) installed for a week now and I took a look and am sort of concerned that the tiny bit it caught looks like more fuel than oil..
Old 02-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #81
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMachine View Post
I'm curious what your cans catch in a week on the PCV line - I have had my can (not a radium one) installed for a week now and I took a look and am sort of concerned that the tiny bit it caught looks like more fuel than oil..
I'm NA, with a radium can routed from the PCV. After a couple thousand miles I've caught a small amount of fluid(maybe 1/2-1 ounce), smells like a mix of fuel and oil, but more like fuel.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #82
Victor Draken

Drives: Toyota Gt86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So is it a good choice to have a catch can when NA or is it asking for trouble?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #83
MysteryMachine

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, 2002 Bugeye OBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Draken View Post
So is it a good choice to have a catch can when NA or is it asking for trouble?

There is no "trouble" so long as you keep your can on the line between PCV and intake. It should simply remove some oil (and apparently fuel which snuck past the rings) which the motor would normally inject back into your airflow and potentially gum up your motor. Some engines are much worse than others in this regard and I don't think we know enough yet if the FA20 will be good or bad in that regard.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #84
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
From what I've read some direct injection engines have issues with carbon buildup, so considering this engine is partly direct injection it should be somewhere in-between..but that's just speculation. Any preventative measures that may help in long term reliability are worthy to me at least.