follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,406 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Only BRZ owners know how to drive...

"Subaru of America, Inc. today announced the sale of its one-millionth vehicle equipped with award-winning EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology...
EyeSight is now available on all 2018 Subaru model lines except the BRZ sports car. The driver assist technology features Pre-Collision Braking and Throttle Management; Adaptive Cruise Control; Lane Departure and Sway Warning; and Lane Keep Assist..."

So I guess this means that the only group of Subaru owners that ALL know how to pay attention to traffic and road conditions are BRZ owners, eh?
Read the news release here:
http://media.subaru.com/newsrelease.do?id=1350&mid=1
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Because cost is more important than safety to lots of manufacturers
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (10-17-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Because cost is more important than safety to lots of manufacturers
Cost has nothing to do with it since it is a paid for option not a "free" addition to all models. They make money on the cars that have it not lose money
God I can already hear the screams of anguish and the requests for instruction on how to rip it out if it came standard on the BRZ.
The wife's Impreza has it and I like the cruise and blind spot monitoring but all in all I call it the drunk/distracted package.
Busybee (10-24-2018), Dadhawk (10-24-2018), ls1ac (10-16-2018), why? (10-17-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The wife's Impreza has it and I like the cruise and blind spot monitoring but all in all I call it the drunk/distracted package.
I love the similar features on my toyota CHR....... You don't actually have to pay attention....

Boring 3hour drive across the desert becomes so easy with these.... all i do is press a button & keep my hand on steering wheel most of the time.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
so since the Zupra will be getting a whole host of safety gear as standard equip, does that mean toyota thinks 86 drivers are more responsible?

in all seriousness, adaptive cruise control & lane keeping are a joke on a "driver's car".. Emergency brake I can understand but most of the other shit is pointless, I barely use the old school cruise control on my twin..
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
i had a loner with it in pittsburgh, and the roads were so shit, it just kept beeping at me. not sure why anyone would want it.
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
so since the Zupra will be getting a whole host of safety gear as standard equip, does that mean toyota thinks 86 drivers are more responsible?

in all seriousness, adaptive cruise control & lane keeping are a joke on a "driver's car".. Emergency brake I can understand but most of the other shit is pointless, I barely use the old school cruise control on my twin..
Most Toyota's have had something similar as standard fro a few years now.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Back in the old school days , drivers needed to pay attention to road conditions (especially where brick walls are located).
Now drivers pay attention to mobile phones and satnav screens while expecting that electronic nanny systems will provide safety.
No wonder the road is more dangerous.
It should be compulsory for all drivers to do an advanced driving course!
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alan.chalkley For This Useful Post:
ToySub1946 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #9
HKz
Reformed

Quote:
Most Toyota's have had something similar as standard fro a few years now.
I get that but it still doesn't mean Toyota needs to put it in everything they sell..the Zupra isn't even a Toyota so it is quite perplexing as to why they didn't go the same route as the twins and just forgo that useless crap on a "driver's car." Perhaps that shit would be easier to swallow if they decided to have a manual option specifically for the 6 cyl..
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #10
Subsonic

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
Back in the old school days , drivers needed to pay attention to road conditions (especially where brick walls are located).
Now drivers pay attention to mobile phones and satnav screens while expecting that electronic nanny systems will provide safety.
No wonder the road is more dangerous.
It should be compulsory for all drivers to do an advanced driving course!
I won't disagree with you about advanced driving courses, but roads now are safer than they ever have been by any measure and continue to improve. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tralia_by_year
, total fatalities, fatalities per 100,000 people, vehicles and km have been steadily declining since records began, and continue to do so. Do really you think these driver assist technologies are making the roads less safe, or are they part of the solution? If so, how?
Subsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
I get that but it still doesn't mean Toyota needs to put it in everything they sell..the Zupra isn't even a Toyota so it is quite perplexing as to why they didn't go the same route as the twins and just forgo that useless crap on a "driver's car." Perhaps that shit would be easier to swallow if they decided to have a manual option specifically for the 6 cyl..
We are not to far away from this stuff being mandatory in all cars. No matter how much we may not like it it does work. Make autox interesting when the car wants to slam on the brakes every time there is a cone in front of t.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #12
HKz
Reformed

Quote:
We are not to far away from this stuff being mandatory in all cars. No matter how much we may not like it it does work. Make autox interesting when the car wants to slam on the brakes every time there is a cone in front of t.
personally I don't think it will ever become ubiquitous to the point where automakers can only release automobiles with automated capabilities...otherwise are things like motorcycles going to be banned completely or do you think bikers will be happy to jump on a new generation of automated electric bikes? come on, when were backup cameras supposed to become standard? They voted on that crap years ago and there's barely been actual progress with enforcing it this year! And even so my neighbor just got a brand new Impala and it didn't even have one...until horses and buggies are completely banned from using the roads then I take all the automated talk as just talk..

I would bet flying cars become way more common than fully automated vehicles in the future....will be interesting to see what flying car Toyota comes up with for the 2020 Olympics..
Old 10-16-2018, 09:04 PM   #13
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
I won't disagree with you about advanced driving courses, but roads now are safer than they ever have been by any measure and continue to improve. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tralia_by_year
, total fatalities, fatalities per 100,000 people, vehicles and km have been steadily declining since records began, and continue to do so. Do really you think these driver assist technologies are making the roads less safe, or are they part of the solution? If so, how?
It is just my guestimate that if drivers learned how to drive and payed attention to where brick walls are located , then this would be much better than any electronic nanny systems.
Just coming from personal experience , with my own children and why cars were missing.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:24 PM   #14
Tcoat

Quote:
personally I don't think it will ever become ubiquitous to the point where automakers can only release automobiles with automated capabilities...otherwise are things like motorcycles going to be banned completely or do you think bikers will be happy to jump on a new generation of automated electric bikes? come on, when were backup cameras supposed to become standard? They voted on that crap years ago and there's barely been actual progress with enforcing it this year! And even so my neighbor just got a brand new Impala and it didn't even have one...until horses and buggies are completely banned from using the roads then I take all the automated talk as just talk..

I would bet flying cars become way more common than fully automated vehicles in the future....will be interesting to see what flying car Toyota comes up with for the 2020 Olympics..
I didn't say a thing about fully automated I said all the assist crap. Each of your arguments are valid on a rational basis. Is your (or our) government well know for their rational decisions? I bet we see the stuff required in all cars within 10 years. As long as they maintain an off switch like they have now that won't interfere with anybody's driving pleasure.

Oh and if they ever do go fully automatic you may see more horse and buggies on the road since it will indeed be safer for them
HKz (10-16-2018)