follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toe arm bolt

Anyone ever do toe arms? This nut keeps spinning in place, it won't get loose because the balljoint spins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by allowe; 02-22-2017 at 12:08 AM.
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
allowe

Toe arm bolt

it's been 6 hours and this nut keeps spinning

Last edited by allowe; 02-22-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Oh, that thing is fucked. Feeling your pain.

The part that is spinning has a taper so it wedges into the axle carrier. Can you tighten it down hard and start over again?

That male thread looks destroyed/worn down. Was that rusted, or is it from 6 hours of struggle?

If you can't get the nut off, it may be time for a dremel and a stack of cut-off wheels.

Or, if you can just grind off the right parts of the base flange (of the nut), you might be able to get in there with a nut splitter.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Oh, that thing is fucked. Feeling your pain.

The part that is spinning has a taper so it wedges into the axle carrier. Can you tighten it down hard and start over again?

That male thread looks destroyed/worn down. Was that rusted, or is it from 6 hours of struggle?

If you can't get the nut off, it may be time for a dremel and a stack of cut-off wheels.

Or, if you can just grind off the right parts of the base flange (of the nut), you might be able to get in there with a nut splitter.

Hey thanks for your reply! I'm stuck and have no idea what to do! The other side of the toe arm is bent to shit I can't put it back in. The bolt won't tighten. It spins freely. I ripped the rubber thing out and there is a ball it's spinning on loosely. I legit don't know what to do anymore . I've soaked it with pb blaster. It can't be that hard to open. How do mechanics do it??

I was thinking of using bolt cutters but only a small one fits and it doesn't cut it.

I tried:
Pb blaster, drilling it, hitting it a couple times with a hammer, using impact gun on it for 20 mins straight, torque wrench, bolt cutters.

Any other ideas that might work?

Thanks for your reply again

Old 02-21-2017, 11:02 PM   #5
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
can you not get a torch in there? that would have it off in a matter of seconds.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeC For This Useful Post:
allowe (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:03 PM   #6
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

For starters, you're dealing with a typical ball joint. Same technique goes for control arm ball joints and outer tie rod ends.

Notice the taper. Tightened down, that thing wedges in there HARD. I'm surprised by your predicament. Hell, I've never heard of it happening. The typical struggle is getting the damn thing apart. I use a pickle fork.

Hopefully that helps make sense of my suggestion to cinch it back down first so you can remove the nut.

Maybe try giving it a whack from underneath to get a start wedging it in. Don't want to do that with a new one but this one's toast.

Also to wedge in tightly, you actually want the opposite of lubrication. Try rinsing it out with some brake cleaner before tightening.

Let me know what you think.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:44 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
[................] it's been 6 hours and this bolt keeps spinning. There is a ball inside that won't catch! Anyone dealt with this before it's driving me nuts ?

Now, THAT allowe is a MESS.

If you have tried everything that @Ultramaroon has suggested and it still won't come off ...... I's suggest you try the @JoeC approach.

If you don't have cutting torch, or you're afraid of starting your car on fire ...... I'd suggest you use the humfrz approach.

Which is, drive or drag that car to a automotive shop and have them fix it proper.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #8
allowe

Toe arm bolt

Quote:
For starters, you're dealing with a typical ball joint. Same technique goes for control arm ball joints and outer tie rod ends.

Notice the taper. Tightened down, that thing wedges in there HARD. I'm surprised by your predicament. Hell, I've never heard of it happening. The typical struggle is getting the damn thing apart. I use a pickle fork.

Hopefully that helps make sense of my suggestion to cinch it back down first so you can remove the nut.

Maybe try giving it a whack from underneath to get a start wedging it in. Don't want to do that with a new one but this one's toast.

Also to wedge in tightly, you actually want the opposite of lubrication. Try rinsing it out with some brake cleaner before tightening.

Let me know what you think.

Wow that actually might work. I do have a impact gun, should I use it with those forks?

I was also thinking, needlenose vice grips

Old 02-22-2017, 12:01 AM   #9
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Wow that actually might work. I do have a impact gun, should I use it with those forks?
Nah. First, you won't need anything that drastic for this job. It's already loose. Second, I've always had better luck with a BFH than with an impact gun.

Consider using this for the little job.

Quote:
I was also thinking, needlenose vice grips
For what? Serious question.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:06 AM   #10
allowe

Toe arm bolt

Quote:
Nah. First, you won't need anything that drastic for this job. It's already loose. Second, I've always had better luck with a BFH than with an impact gun.
But the nut is stuck. It won't come off. The balljoint spins while I use the impact gun
Consider using this for the little job.

For what? Serious question.

The nut is still on I can't screw it off. The ball keeps spinning. It's not loose bro

Old 02-22-2017, 12:13 AM   #11
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
The nut is still on I can't screw it off. The ball keeps spinning. It's not loose bro
Yes. That's why you need to get it wedged in tight; so it stops spinning and you can remove the nut.

Then you can separate the ball joint from the carrier.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:17 AM   #12
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Or, like I said earlier, cut off the nut with a dremel and/or a nut splitter. That's pretty much it.

No need to fuck with torches.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #13
allowe

Quote:
Or, like I said earlier, cut off the nut with a dremel and/or a nut splitter. That's pretty much it.

No need to fuck with torches.

Thank for your help man I'd buy u lunch if you were close to me!

So I got it out:

I used the scissor jack and jammed the side of the ball joint at the bottom in the slot, and kept using an impact wrench. Kept shooting it tight and loose and the nut moved up so slowly but it came right out at the end. I can't even screw it back on (only to test)

I put the new arm in and did a rough adjustment myself. The car drives fine now but there is a "whomp whomp" sound that comes out over 70 km per hour. Any ideas on what it could be ? I'm thinking maybe bearing

Old 02-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thank for your help man I'd buy u lunch if you were close to me!

So I got it out:

I used the scissor jack and jammed the side of the ball joint at the bottom in the slot, and kept using an impact wrench. Kept shooting it tight and loose and the nut moved up so slowly but it came right out at the end. I can't even screw it back on (only to test)

I put the new arm in and did a rough adjustment myself. The car drives fine now but there is a "whomp whomp" sound that comes out over 70 km per hour. Any ideas on what it could be ? I'm thinking maybe bearing

Could be the bearing or you are really out of alignment. I don't care how confident people are in their eyeball calibration an alignment can not be done without proper equipment. Step one would be to0 jack it up and spin the wheel and pull on it from side to side to see if there is any obvious bearing play. Step two is either replace the bearing or get a real alignment. Neither step should include any driving around at speed since the results if something fails could be way worse than hitting a curb.
allowe (02-22-2017), strat61caster (02-22-2017)