follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #29
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Buy what makes you happy.

The initial 'retro' Camaro iteration nailed it, even if Tranformorsishly cartoonish.

This newest gen smacks of change for the sake of change, and a confused, unrecognizably stylistic, spastic grasping that has no idea in which way it next wants to morph. It appears to have been penned by a gamer kid who's never driven a car, or has naught a sniff of Camaro dna.

When I see this car, my eye is immediately drawn to the awkwardly exaggerated horizontal crease above the door bottom, and thankfully not to the rather silly head/tail light exercises. Perhaps intentional.

The initial iteration had personality. This one appears confused.

Please understand, I mean no offence.
geezerbrzeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #30
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Unless you don't plan on keeping the car more than 5 lbs
Difference: years, it's good to just get base Club and go aftermarket. Koni+Flyin' Miata Spring, UL09 17x8, Willwood BBK cost about the same as BBS/Brembo package while offer much more perf per $.

Additional weight is actually distributed all over. Top only add 60-80lb. Extra Sound deadening, standard techs included in the RF.
On the weight: From Miata's own specsheet PDFs:

manual ND soft top: 2332 lbs
RF manual: 2456 lbs
difference: 124 lbs - of which about 100 lbs is roof and roof mechanism

Re the Sport package for the ND - I agree bang for buck on brakes might be better - but the forged wheels are nice and light, and some people prefer the assurance of having a fully warranteed car and not dealing with the potential hassle of having the dealer claim (rightly or wrongly) that any problems are due to your mods. Plus the cost of getting those lovely Recaros in the aftermarket will be ridiculous (according to those Americans who have looked into it because they don't get them - see miata.net). Parts cost through Canadian dealer is several thousand a throne.

/thread jacking
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #31
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
On the weight: From Miata's own specsheet PDFs:

manual ND soft top: 2332 lbs
RF manual: 2456 lbs
difference: 124 lbs - of which about 100 lbs is roof and roof mechanism

Re the Sport package for the ND - I agree bang for buck on brakes might be better - but the forged wheels are nice and light, and some people prefer the assurance of having a fully warranteed car and not dealing with the potential hassle of having the dealer claim (rightly or wrongly) that any problems are due to your mods. Plus the cost of getting those lovely Recaros in the aftermarket will be ridiculous (according to those Americans who have looked into it because they don't get them - see miata.net). Parts cost through Canadian dealer is several thousand a throne.

/thread jacking
Forgot you guys got Recaros... but they are just reskinned stock seats. Only thing it offers better than stock is hold-you-in-place Alcantara insert.

Checked Camaro SS 1LE, Recaro is definitely more bolstered than standard seat.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:07 PM   #32
Jen

Drives: 2016 WRX, 2016 Corvette Z51 3LT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Congrats! Make sure you don't drive one of the new vettes. My Camaro turned into one after a test drive. The Camaro is actually faster than the vette though
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #33
Jen

Drives: 2016 WRX, 2016 Corvette Z51 3LT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbrzeezer View Post
Buy what makes you happy.

The initial 'retro' Camaro iteration nailed it, even if Tranformorsishly cartoonish.

This newest gen smacks of change for the sake of change, and a confused, unrecognizably stylistic, spastic grasping that has no idea in which way it next wants to morph. It appears to have been penned by a gamer kid who's never driven a car, or has naught a sniff of Camaro dna.

When I see this car, my eye is immediately drawn to the awkwardly exaggerated horizontal crease above the door bottom, and thankfully not to the rather silly head/tail light exercises. Perhaps intentional.

The initial iteration had personality. This one appears confused.

Please understand, I mean no offence.
I ended up with a Camaro instead of the brz. The price/power is where the Camaro will shine. The car doesn't look as good as the first redesign, but the latest Camaro is based off of a different platform (shared with the Cadillac) and is much improved, especially with the magnetic shocks. You also feel like you are in a bunker. The vette is really the car to own, but it's completely not practical.

FYI, the Camaro made me so crazy I sold it after two years and not even three thousand miles.

Last edited by Jen; 12-29-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote