follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #239
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
How's the cabin sound? Do you think you could take a video so we can hear it?
Will do in the coming days.

Quote:
As for the sound, I haven't really noticed a distinct "Intake" sound per se, but the engine sound is much clearer or just different without the sound tube. All in a good way, nothing bad or annoying.
Agreed, I could hear the sound tube adding a low end "tocktocktock" to the engine sound, which I hated anyway. I can see how it may add to the sound of the stock exhaust, but with the TRD is is unnecessary. The phrase "engine sound is much cleaner" is bang on.

Quote:
I wonder how much the TRD exhaust adds to the equation? Maybe little to nothing but a nicer sound and appearance since the Toyota ProCelebrity FR-S cars run both TRD intake and exhaust and claim +10 hp on 100 octane, about the gain you realized on ?? octane fuel. Nice gain for a warrantied performance part.
I was on 91 octane. That is the only thing that is avail in my area.

Quote:
Can any of you owners comment on your observed mpg decrease / increase?
The only comparison I can make is for hwy driving. I can comment on that when I make a trip to Halifax. I was running 7l/100km before.

Quote:
Even more reason to buy this intake now since I already had the exhaust frrom the start. The only thing im not liking is the orange tube.... wonder if i can change it to red
It is red.

Quote:
"best way to go about it would be stock baseline no ecu reset... Reset ecu after your pulls and install trd intake, drive the car on the dyno for a little while(simulate normal driving on your aprox 100-150miles,we do this during engine break in's) then allow the car to cool down and rerun dyno"
I would have done this, but simply didn't have the time nor the will to drive the car for 150 miles on the dyno. I can't see how running a car on the dyno will let the ecu calibrate itself properly because the resistance of the dyno is nothing like driving the car on the street with all the variation of engine load. I see your point however and that would be a more accurate test.
Thorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thorpedo For This Useful Post:
Cadenz (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #240
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How hard is it to install this for someone with just the most basic mechanical ability and a basic set of wrenches?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #241
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
I reported his offensive post (which has been deleted) that caused his ban. Nothing personal to him and not asking us to be forum nazis but if we keep letting vulgarity fly (which does happen), the offenders get too comfortable and quality of this forum deteriorates. Comes with the territory having a huge diversity of members. Be proactive in keeping offenders in check and give'em hell. Cheers.
Would have loved to see that post...I'm ashamed to share a first name with a troll like him...
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #242
Enraged21
#RememberTheBuster

Drives: Firestorm FRS MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
How does this compare to the perrin CAI?
Enraged21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #243
shu5892001
Ontario's FT86

Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think I'm sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpedo View Post
So I finally got the FR-S on the Dyno.

This was my procedure.

-Unhook neg terminal
-Wait 5 minutes or so
-Hook neg cable back up, run car for 5-10 minutes.
-Do 3 dyno runs.

-Unhook neg terminal
-Install TRD intake
-Hook neg cable back up, run for 5-10 minutes
-Do 3 more runs

This way I believe to be the best, as it makes it so I am comparing apples to apples. My car has around 3500km on it, and it has the TRD exhaust as well.

First 3 runs are as follows:
1. 162.9hp - 133.52tq
2. 166.05hp - 136.51tq
3. 167.95hp - 136.73tq

After the TRD intake was installed (within an hour, so similar temp etc)
1. 174.39hp - 143.59tq
2. 175.6hp - 144.2tq
3. 170.02hp - 141.16tq - Something was up on this last run as I felt the car shift a bit on the dyno. I was satisfied with the figures so we just took it off.

Shitty pic of the graph, but as you can (kind of) see, it was a pretty even increase throughout the rev range with a decent peak at 4500.

(Will be posting pic, vid of gauges shortly)

The Red box is around the runs done with the TRD intake.

I see he his banned, but in closing I'd like to send out a big GFY to FR-S Matt!
shu5892001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shu5892001 For This Useful Post:
NatedoggGt86 (11-26-2015)
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #244
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post
How hard is it to install this for someone with just the most basic mechanical ability and a basic set of wrenches?
Should be easy. Removing a few worm gear clamps and undoing a few bolts should be trouble free unless you crossthread something. May want a long extension for your ratchet, though. Those are always helpful!
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #245
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,152 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have the FA20 tune on mine with the intake, but I also have a front and over pipe so doing a dyno wouldn't be accurate for just the intake. The car does feel more responsive and power is immediate and smoother, especially at the low end. There is now plenty of "go" right off the line once the throttle is pressed, even more so than when I had my greddy. For me, it's the additional torque that makes everything worth, as It makes the car feel immensely better as a daily driver in stop and go traffic

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #246
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i think the people talking crap about the intake are talking because its likely just cheating the ecu into running a little hotter. i would love to see this same test with a tune but both for the intake and stock. i guess beggars cant be choosers.
I don't think your close at all on "cheating the ecu int running a little hotter".
Doing crap like that can VOID your warranty and as this is a TRD part it will not void your warranty on the car. It also happens to be emissions certified which translates to - it does not do anything to change/trick the engine into running a different mixture.

If anything this is one of the FEW CAI's that DO NOT "trick/cheat" the ECU.

Mine is en-route to my house right now. I got mine for $365 total/final price including tax & shipping, not the cheapest but not that overpriced either.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #247
GoSharks

Drives: BRZ Limited, WRB, 6 MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
I don't think your close at all on "cheating the ecu int running a little hotter".
Doing crap like that can VOID your warranty and as this is a TRD part it will not void your warranty on the car. It also happens to be emissions certified which translates to - it does not do anything to change/trick the engine into running a different mixture.

Mine is en-route to my house right now. I got mine for $365 total/final price including tax & shipping, not the cheapest but not that overpriced either.
Would you mind saying where you bought it?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #248
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post

im simply stating why people tend to think a lot of the intake numbers are the way they are. things like a change in ambient temperature can do the same thing so i dont see why you think its impossible. either way, a dyno with the afr or after tunes will put an end to the questioning
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #249
TEWwild

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
If it helps, I got mine from the dealer for around $400, don't remember exact amount. It took about a week and a half to come in.
TEWwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #250
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Ebay, the only way I found to get this thing lower toyota price.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #251
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Maybe I missed it, but what is the part number?
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #252
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks @Thorpedo for the job you did producing very useful results. Great intake since it produced very nice gains and did so without losing power anywhere.

For those saying tuning is going to remove the gain, that's not a worry. What these results demonstrate is that it flowed better than the stock box. That is what you want. The engine is a big pump. The more air you get flowing through it, the more power you can make. Tuning will make sure that the air/fuel mixture is correct and further improve the operation of the car. If you're going lean that demonstrates you are flowing more air in. Adding fuel with proper tuning is not going to remove the benefit of the additional air. This is a very solid choice for NA no matter who made it.
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff86 For This Useful Post:
bdub85 (04-22-2013), LeeMaster (04-22-2013)