follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #15
RSCrawford

Drives: 2018 Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
Just a side note. Copying what a race team is doing isn't always the best way to get results on track. I have met a few PWC guys at a track day and had a chance to pick their brain on the cars. I asked them why they were running a certain part, thinking it would be a well researched integral part for hp or handling. Their answer 99% of the time was, "Blank company sponsors the event and we have to run that part." Many things they didn't want to run but were forced to under series sponsorship agreements. Example: The aftermarket intake and TS wing.

Just goes to show you. Just because they are running it doesn't mean it is the best option and you should always do your own research.
Agree. I am familiar with sponsor obligations, price caps and spec class requirements. Maybe I wasn't clear, I'm not trying to copy anyone, I'm trying to gain a bit of insight from someone whose job is to win races with the ft86 platform, not sell me something. I have worked with Motec in all kinds of applications (I'm a dealer for them) , but not this car. I have confidence Motec would meet my needs, especially since there is an M150 package specifically for ft86 that has all the time consuming framework part sorted, only requiring tuning. I'd prefer to not have to spend that much money but I will if I have to.

All advice is appreciated.
RSCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RSCrawford For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-01-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #16
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCrawford View Post
Yes and no. The shop can answer who is tuning be it in house or contract. I work in motor sports as well doing engine development/tuning/data acquisition, and am a firm believer in results and not marketing. I'm doing my research from the track backwards so to speak. I don't want to find someone to tune my car again, as I have a tune that's been done and it's not running correctly. I need to find out what direction to go be it ecutek, open flash, Motec, or alternative to find a solution. An unacceptable result has been purchased once, the second purchase needs to be the last.

There are tuners that have WAY more real world results to back up their experience than someone working for a single team.

Like it's been said already, lots of race teams are confined by series rules or something else. You're far better off talking to someone with broad tuning experience about what you're after.

Look up Sasha at OnPoint dyno in Toronto, he has a ton of experience and will definitely be able to get you what you need. Basic EcuTek, full blown custom motec firmware, anything in between. He built a tesla powered lotus Evora running a motec to control everything, and has tuned hundreds of cars with various tuning solutions.

https://www.onpointdyno.com/

There's also quite a bit of knowledge on these forums, you'll probably get close to your answer just by asking your specific questions here instead of being cryptic and vague. Your current tune that isn't running right could just be a crappy tune, not the result of a bad tuning solution. There's tons of high HP cars running EcuTek, unless yours is a swap or something really custom, I'm sure it'll work for you too.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #17
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The class and type of competition you want to compete in matters too if asking people to point you in the right direction. Are you road racing? PWC/SCCA/IMSA/other? Are you doing time trials? Are you highly restricted or are the rules wide freakin' open? How would ANYONE know who to recommend without knowing what the heck you want to do?

Also, the guys that sell things will want to sell things but many will also give it to you straight on sound 'go-fast' advice. When I made the switch to the FT86 for road racing I gained a lot great advice from Oscar Jackson Jr and CSG_Mike - both entities sell things and of course recommend their products (as they should) but they gave terrific general "go-fast" advice and significantly truncated my R&D schedule/cost.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:31 AM   #18
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCrawford View Post
Agree. I am familiar with sponsor obligations, price caps and spec class requirements. Maybe I wasn't clear, I'm not trying to copy anyone, I'm trying to gain a bit of insight from someone whose job is to win races with the ft86 platform, not sell me something. I have worked with Motec in all kinds of applications (I'm a dealer for them) , but not this car. I have confidence Motec would meet my needs, especially since there is an M150 package specifically for ft86 that has all the time consuming framework part sorted, only requiring tuning. I'd prefer to not have to spend that much money but I will if I have to.

All advice is appreciated.
Lets have a chat. I'm CSG's development driver, but not a sales person, commissioned employee, or even an employee at all; I've never collect any sort of monetary compensation from CSG.

I'm coaching at the media day tomorrow Road America tomorrow (today?), followed by IMSA GT3/Super Trofeo/MPC friday/saturday/sunday.

I may be able to give you a better sense of direction.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote