follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
ephemerality

Drives: None currently
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question about 2012 vs 2015 86s

Hi guys, I've been looking at a few 86 GTs to buy and I was wondering if there was a definitive difference between the '12 and '15 models.

I've read posts and even my car dealer said that you should never buy '12 models which are the most common in my country.

The '12 one has 60k kms on it with a unspecified exhaust and a trd body kit going for 23k

The '15 one has 57k kms going for 28k.

Wondering if the 5k difference in price is something I'll be paying for later down the line, if there is a significant difference in the performance/reliability of the 2012 version.

Thanks in advance.
ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ephemerality For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
there was no MY12, the 86 started out as a MY13 unless you guys in NZ go by year the car was actually made..

as far as the engine is speaking, mechanically they are basically the same thing with the only concern being the first year of production with little nagging stuff and now the valve spring recall which affects any twin that was built up to July 2013. 5K is a big difference, not sure if getting the newer one is worth that.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You have to be nuts to buy anything that is within the valve spring recall. Pretty much half the Issues/Warranty/Recalls/TSB subforum is about that current recall.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
You have to be nuts to buy anything that is within the valve spring recall. Pretty much half the Issues/Warranty/Recalls/TSB subforum is about that current recall.
why? yes some people have had some nightmares but we're all just reading the horror stories, don't think it is time to jump ship on the first MY.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #5
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
there was no MY12, the 86 started out as a MY13 unless you guys in NZ go by year the car was actually made.
They do, North America is stupid. There is no '12 FR-S but there are many '12 86s and BRZs

The only major flaw that could appear on a '12/'13 that wouldn't be on the '15 is direct injector seal failure related to the tune and hard track use. It will also require replacing coil packs after some amount of track use.

If it's a commuter and will stay on the street it's whole life you can probably safely save the money and buy the '12. With 60k kms already on the car you're past the point of early parts failures and there's a high probability imho that you'll go past the powertrain warranty without much hassle (100k-120k km).

I'm not sure if the throwout bearing issue affects '15 cars though, but that's a >120k km problem usually.

Edit: no appreciable performance difference between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
That's because there's nothing else to talk about, there's well over 100k of these things running around North America and a minor recall and some crap work is the worst going on? We're sitting pretty.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
jrb363 (03-02-2019), soundman98 (03-02-2019), Tcoat (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #6
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
My car was in the recall. I had the recall work done. It was a bad idea.

My car also likely would not have been affected in the slightest had I chosen to not have the work done. My car had a salvage title from being flooded. Same engine, I autocrossed and drove the car mercilessly. Car was totally solid and I have no doubt that it'd have made it another 50k issue free, had I not chosen to take my car in for the recall.

I think anything with the early FRS would have shown itself by now, don't let it scare you away from a good deal.

Last edited by DarkPira7e; 03-01-2019 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Quoted someone by mistake
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
They do, North America is stupid. There is no '12 FR-S but there are many '12 86s and BRZs

The only major flaw that could appear on a '12/'13 that wouldn't be on the '15 is direct injector seal failure related to the tune and hard track use. It will also require replacing coil packs after some amount of track use.

If it's a commuter and will stay on the street it's whole life you can probably safely save the money and buy the '12. With 60k kms already on the car you're past the point of early parts failures and there's a high probability imho that you'll go past the powertrain warranty without much hassle (100k-120k km).

I'm not sure if the throwout bearing issue affects '15 cars though, but that's a >120k km problem usually.

Edit: no appreciable performance difference between the two.

That's because there's nothing else to talk about, there's well over 100k of these things running around North America and a minor recall and some crap work is the worst going on? We're sitting pretty.
The TOB issues reaches right up into the early 17s and can raise it's head as low as about 50K miles. But... it is very hit and miss and if it does arise but is caught early is a very cheap fix so not a deal breaker.
Agreed that any issues that are likely to show up with the 12 would probably already of showed themselves so not much risk there.
strat61caster (03-03-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemerality View Post
Hi guys, I've been looking at a few 86 GTs to buy and I was wondering if there was a definitive difference between the '12 and '15 models.

Thanks in advance.
Hello ephemerality and welcome to the forum -

If both have been cared for, I don't think it would much matter, considering the price difference.

I'd suggest you just pick the one that has the transmission you prefer and the color you think is pretty.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-01-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:21 AM   #9
ephemerality

Thanks everyone for your help! I've decided to go with the 2012 as it seems a little easier on the wallet and it seems there are equal people for and against buying first production year models.

I had a few more questions about this car.

The brake rotors seem rusted over but the dealer said it's just surface rust that doesn't affect anything (but of course he'd say this as the salesperson).

How common is it to find fake parts as the car is equipped with what said a Rosso Modello exhaust except I had a look online and the only ones I could find were burnt tip titanium exhausts except if you look in the image, it's clearly not that. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough

Anyway thanks again guys it's been really helpful reading your replies.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2019, 02:30 AM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help! I've decided to go with the 2012 as it seems a little easier on the wallet and it seems there are equal people for and against buying first production year models.

I had a few more questions about this car.

The brake rotors seem rusted over but the dealer said it's just surface rust that doesn't affect anything (but of course he'd say this as the salesperson).

How common is it to find fake parts as the car is equipped with what said a Rosso Modello exhaust except I had a look online and the only ones I could find were burnt tip titanium exhausts except if you look in the image, it's clearly not that. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough

Anyway thanks again guys it's been really helpful reading your replies.
The rotors look nasty but a quick wire brushing and some high heat paint on the hat and they will be fine.

I have no idea on that particular exhaust but EBay knock offs of any brand name are very common.

Check the bolts and fasteners in the engine bay closely. If they appear to have been removed or replaced be suspect that there were engine mods that have been removed. You can tell by wrench marks on bolts and screws. Not saying the exhuast is a knock off since I have no clue but if it is you don't know what other cheap parts have been on the car and removed.
new2subaru (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:37 AM   #11
ephemerality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The rotors look nasty but a quick wire brushing and some high heat paint on the hat and they will be fine.

I have no idea on that particular exhaust but EBay knock offs of any brand name are very common.

Check the bolts and fasteners in the engine bay closely. If they appear to have been removed or replaced be suspect that there were engine mods that have been removed. You can tell by wrench marks on bolts and screws. Not saying the exhuast is a knock off since I have no clue but if it is you don't know what other cheap parts have been on the car and removed.
god bless thank you heaps. I'm going for a final inspection tomorrow.

Is there anything I should be wary of if mods have been removed/replaced?
Old 03-02-2019, 02:50 AM   #12
Tcoat

Quote:
god bless thank you heaps. I'm going for a final inspection tomorrow.

Is there anything I should be wary of if mods have been removed/replaced?
I wouldn't worry to much if there were suspension modes since going back to stock is easy and there would be no damage done. The big concern would be if it had been supercharged or turboed since that will strain the engine. Pay special attention to the bolts and screws around the air intake since that would be a sure sign it had been heavily modified.
Modified

Stock (the areas to look at)

All those fasteners would show signs of removal.
jrb363 (03-02-2019), nikitopo (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:59 AM   #13
ephemerality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I wouldn't worry to much if there were suspension modes since going back to stock is easy and there would be no damage done. The big concern would be if it had been supercharged or turboed since that will strain the engine. Pay special attention to the bolts and screws around the air intake since that would be a sure sign it had been heavily modified.
Modified

Stock (the areas to look at)

All those fasteners would show signs of removal.
This is really helpful thank you! I'll definitely keep an eye out tomorrow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ephemerality For This Useful Post:
Joveen (03-03-2019), Tcoat (03-02-2019)