follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #1163
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So my activation issues were related to the two-year-old dump batteries. The voltage on one was below 12.5V. I replaced the ETX16Ls with two Odessey PC 680s and it feels like normal again. Still need to get some data just to confirm, but it definitely feels like it’s at full boost now. Still need to find out if I have the odor after full activation now that I have the check valve in the PCV line.

For those that are interested, here is the confirmatory data log.

https://datazap.me/u/vfrqqq/log-1510...=0&data=1-9-11

Last edited by vfrqqq; 11-11-2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Added data log
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:05 AM   #1164
BuffDriver

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Update: Installed Sojhinn's kit and have been etuning with Shiv...

I LOVE THIS ESC! ! !

THANK YOU again for letting me buy it, Sojhinn.

Edelbrock SC kit w/ ECUtek tune, Oil Cooler, UEL catted header, Perrin 2.5 Overpipe n Catted midpipe, 3.0 Catback resonated (all exhst ceramic coated), TRD short shifter, MTEC clutch n trans springs, Trans: Pentosin MTF2, Diff: Motul 75W90, Whiteline trans bushing, 3/4" clutch slave cyl., Ferodo DS2500 pads w/Motul 600 fluid, 17x8 wheels n 235/45ZR-17 tires
BuffDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #1165
R2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My kit is still for sale, now with an updated price!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122395
R2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #1166
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
my battery is dead completely due to not driving for while.
is it ok to jump from other car?
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #1167
R2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=11
R2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R2 For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (02-02-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #1168
tzbang

Drives: 2013 GT86
So I've recently installed one of these kits. Mine needed to be modified a bit for RHD, so extended (fatter) cables etc.

Anyway - everything seemed to go good for the first few weeks, probably taken the car out a handful of times. But this morning it wouldn't start. The small battery which runs the car didn't have enough charge to turn the car over. I tried jumping the battery from a spare and although I eventually got it running.. it was running rough and hardly at all. I assume there still wasn't enough charge for the ECU.

A few days ago I did mess around with the pedal switch placement.. and I did notice that for some reason when I turned the ignition on the ESC started whirring away.. which was odd. I switched it off using the little volt switch. Then it seemed fine. I put the car back in the shed and that was a few days ago.. now it won't start.

I figure messing with the pedal switch etc is irrelevant as that is on the other battery system. So maybe it's just because I started the car up a couple of times without driving? It's not going to be a very reliable system if I can't turn the car on and off a couple of times.

All the batteries were bought new.. but I have to admit.. they sat on the bench unused (on a trickle charge) for over a year before I installed them.
tzbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #1169
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzbang View Post
So I've recently installed one of these kits. Mine needed to be modified a bit for RHD, so extended (fatter) cables etc.

Anyway - everything seemed to go good for the first few weeks, probably taken the car out a handful of times. But this morning it wouldn't start. The small battery which runs the car didn't have enough charge to turn the car over. I tried jumping the battery from a spare and although I eventually got it running.. it was running rough and hardly at all. I assume there still wasn't enough charge for the ECU.

A few days ago I did mess around with the pedal switch placement.. and I did notice that for some reason when I turned the ignition on the ESC started whirring away.. which was odd. I switched it off using the little volt switch. Then it seemed fine. I put the car back in the shed and that was a few days ago.. now it won't start.

I figure messing with the pedal switch etc is irrelevant as that is on the other battery system. So maybe it's just because I started the car up a couple of times without driving? It's not going to be a very reliable system if I can't turn the car on and off a couple of times.

All the batteries were bought new.. but I have to admit.. they sat on the bench unused (on a trickle charge) for over a year before I installed them.
Battery condition is key with these kits and with a compact starter you won't have nearly the reserve that you had with a full size OEM battery.

I would recommend that you get a new starter battery.

I consider the dump pack and starter battery as wear items. The starter battery about 2 years unless it is jump started several times. The dumps should last 1.5 years till they start to degrade, and should be replaced by 2 years.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:23 PM   #1170
tzbang

The battery was brand new.. but I guess leaving it on a trickle charger for 15months might not have been great for it. But still.. I'm surprised it only lasted 2 weeks of use. There must have been some kind of draw on it for the last 3 days while it was not being used.. Is it a known issue that the car electrical system drains the compact starter battery quickly?
Old 02-07-2018, 12:05 AM   #1171
Gums

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Had similar issue with the ESC running (sometimes) with ignition on. Solved by installing a seperate switch for the ESC/Procede.

Car has an anti rust unit, starter battery will only last a week without C-Tec charger. Basically plug charger in every time I get home. Expecting battery to fail at some stage as it's over 3 years old.
Gums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #1172
tzbang

Well I solved this one I think.. and it's a bit embarrassing. The battery was flat.. this much is true. I found out that my boot was left open for 3 days sitting in the shed. So I'm guessing that was enough to flatten my battery. But it didn't explain why when I jumped it - she ran so terribly rough.. spluttering.. dying. I thought the battery was full stuffed and wasn't taking a charge. But it seemed odd..

It was like.. like it wasn't getting any air in. Suffocating. Then I wondered.. if I'd removed the tape I'd put over the air-filer intake as I made a small cut so I could mount the ESC straighter. The answer was no I hadn't.

The Following User Says Thank You to tzbang For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #1173
zc06_kisstherain

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Well I solved this one I think.. and it's a bit embarrassing. The battery was flat.. this much is true. I found out that my boot was left open for 3 days sitting in the shed. So I'm guessing that was enough to flatten my battery. But it didn't explain why when I jumped it - she ran so terribly rough.. spluttering.. dying. I thought the battery was full stuffed and wasn't taking a charge. But it seemed odd..

It was like.. like it wasn't getting any air in. Suffocating. Then I wondered.. if I'd removed the tape I'd put over the air-filer intake as I made a small cut so I could mount the ESC straighter. The answer was no I hadn't.

remember you jumped a car so ECU needs time to re-learn.
drive for few days then push it.

BTW, how hard did you tighten your clamp?
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:12 PM   #1174
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Haha, so how does it feel now?
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #1175
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
In case anyone is interested, I'm selling my PROcede controller.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131826
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #1176
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Anyone ever tried openning apart the snail to change out the propeller for a lighter one?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote