follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2016, 12:16 AM   #1
Dok Henz

Drives: 2018 CWP tS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
2017 BRZ Headunit (and Dash!) Replacement

Hey all:

I'm just shy of putting my first 1000 miles on '17 BRZ, and each mile seems better than the last... save for the crappy head unit. Sure, it links to my iPhone, and powers the speakers, and does some of what a modern infotainment system should do, but it's a shame that the Subaru engineers have wasted so much time with the terrible software. But I digress.

I'm looking to upgrade to an aftermarket unit that has CarPlay. What I'm seeking help from you here isn't which unit to purchase, but how the hell to fit an aftermarket unit into the trapezoidal chasm the engineers have chiseled into the dash once the stock unit is removed?

Here are my questions:

(1) Has anyone replaced their 2016 or 2017 head unit in an aesthetically pleasing way? If so, how? Are there standard adapters for the double DIN unit to fit into the trapezoidal space? Did you replace the dash section(s)?

(2) I'm contemplating ordering a replacement dash from the Canadian '17 BRZ, which has a rectangular opening:

Anyone know how I might go about getting my hands on one of these parts? Any Canadian BRZedHeads that could steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Peace,
Dok
Dok Henz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:21 AM   #2
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=110948&page=9

pn 66077CA200

They are currently on back order, but that's what you need. As you can see in that thread, people have already started swapping them. I assume this will be a very very popular swap and this part will always be in high demand.

If you swap to that, you can use any of the standard double din adapters or a head unit that is shaped to fit the 13-16 FR-S dash shape.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:38 AM   #3
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dok Henz View Post
Hey all:

I'm just shy of putting my first 1000 miles on '17 BRZ, and each mile seems better than the last... save for the crappy head unit. Sure, it links to my iPhone, and powers the speakers, and does some of what a modern infotainment system should do, but it's a shame that the Subaru engineers have wasted so much time with the terrible software. But I digress.

I'm looking to upgrade to an aftermarket unit that has CarPlay. What I'm seeking help from you here isn't which unit to purchase, but how the hell to fit an aftermarket unit into the trapezoidal chasm the engineers have chiseled into the dash once the stock unit is removed?

Here are my questions:

(1) Has anyone replaced their 2016 or 2017 head unit in an aesthetically pleasing way? If so, how? Are there standard adapters for the double DIN unit to fit into the trapezoidal space? Did you replace the dash section(s)?

(2) I'm contemplating ordering a replacement dash from the Canadian '17 BRZ, which has a rectangular opening:

Anyone know how I might go about getting my hands on one of these parts? Any Canadian BRZedHeads that could steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Peace,
Dok
Removing the dash panels
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj-6sMWD3Pw"]Frs Trim Pieces Removal [Scion Frs] - YouTube[/ame]

Get dash panels off another car that has the right shape. Is it really shaped differently? Pic?
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:43 AM   #4
Dok Henz

Garage
johan:

Thanks for the quick reply, and exactly what I needed. Looks like I'll be ordering the part tomorrow. Now onto the important work: finding the right head unit!

Thanks again!
Dok

(PS: My apologies for not searching enough of the forums to find the info you shared, BTW!)
Old 10-13-2016, 12:46 AM   #5
Dok Henz

Garage
swarb:

It's almost like the engineers knew we'd want to swap out the dash... seems ridiculously easy to do!

And yes, the insert for the infotainment system is different - trapezoidal rather than rectangular:

Thanks for the info!
Dok
Old 12-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #6
softgrip

Drives: 2017 BRZ - Dark Grey Metallic
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dok Henz View Post
And yes, the insert for the infotainment system is different - trapezoidal rather than rectangular
Such a pain in the ass! I was looking at a head unit that fits flush with the Toyota style space (with the wide edges) - the Kenwood DDX916WS.

Now it looks like I'll need to change the dash of my 2017 BRZ. I've only had it for 3 days!
softgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
Dok Henz

Garage
I was planning to have my head unit replaced today, but seeing this makes me wonder if I should wait to get one that fits into the standard dash cutout without the plastic spacers...?

I'll chat with my installation guys and get their $0.02. It looks like this unit is tough to get in the US right now, so I may just end up going with a standard double DIN (likely the Pioneer 4200). Photos to follow after the installation.

Dok
Old 12-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
The downside of the double din is that you need an adapter kit to fill in the extra space on the sides (the factory unit is about 3/4" wider than DIN) and all those adapters look like ass. On my 2014 I used fiberglass to narrow the dash piece and then wrapped it in alcantara.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
softgrip

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
The downside of the double din is that you need an adapter kit to fill in the extra space on the sides (the factory unit is about 3/4" wider than DIN) and all those adapters look like ass. On my 2014 I used fiberglass to narrow the dash piece and then wrapped it in alcantara.
Not for the Kenwood DDX916WS.

The WS is for wide screen, and it will fill that gap.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrip View Post
Not for the Kenwood DDX916WS.

The WS is for wide screen, and it will fill that gap.
Yes, and as the OP said, that unit is not available in the US. Then he followed up with going with a standard double din head unit, hence my comment.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #11
Dok Henz

Garage
So, the NEX 4200 was installed yesterday.

Initial impressions:
(1) Sounds quality is definitely superior in the mid and high ranges, but I'm not sure if this is due to the head unit, or the addition of an amp which is powering the 8" sub in the trunk.
(2) CarPlay has been alright, but not as great as I'd thought it'd be. Plusses: Siri reads your Messages, Maps and navigation are on the main display (as opposed to using Maps or Waze on a separately mounted iPhone), and Pandora, Audiobooks, and Podcasts accessible directly from the 4200. Minuses: My CarPlay connection disappears under hard acceleration (surely an installation glitch), and the overall usability in terms of speed and touch response are just OK.
(3) The 4200, like most aftermarket systems I suspect, has some less than user friendly ways to access varying functions, like switching between specific sources; wish there was a physical button for changing to the radio, for example. But it's highly customizable, both in its display and sound features.
(4) To quote member toast above, "the adaptors look like ass." While I went out of my way to find the Canadian dash piece, it's still cut for the 200mm wide Toyota width double-DIN units. The worst part is that the 4200 sticks out about 1/4-3/8" from the plastic adaptors, and screams "aftermarket!" Being partial to the new interior aesthetics of the '17 BRZ, the narrower head unit looks a little out of place in the dash, especially compared to the look of the native unit.

I plan to give it a few weeks, but may ultimately reinstall the factory head unit (gasp), ask the stereo shop to re-tune it a little for better sound quality, and keep a (smaller) amp and sub. I find that I'm less interested in excellent sound quality in this car anyway - the sound deadening isn't great to begin with, I use the aural RPM gauge in my head to determine shift points, and I'm not in need of ground thumping bass or ear splitting treble...

Photos to follow, hopefully.

Peace,
Dok
The Following User Says Thank You to Dok Henz For This Useful Post:
Chimera (12-12-2017)
Old 12-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #12
softgrip

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Yes, and as the OP said, that unit is not available in the US.
I must be blind...?... nope found it . I was blind.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #13
Naeblis

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Has anyone bought the DDX916WS? I'm considering ordering it off ebay to replace my CA-FI, and installing it. Was just wondering if anybody had issues installing, or if it was a pretty simple install?
Naeblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #14
Gyzm0

Drives: 2013 Toyota GT86
Hello,

I like the Kenwood DDX916WS very much, but doesn't it bother you that the "physical" buttons are on the right side?
It looks like it was made for RHD, should we hope for a LHD version or do you think it won't ever happen?

Best regards.
Gyzm0 is offline   Reply With Quote