follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2019, 06:47 AM   #953
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,065 Times in 774 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brian Crower makes the rods with tapered end , if you ask them before ordering from them

When i put ACE header, the engine kept the ignition timings so well around 3k-4k that i was tempted to keep rasing them... and so I did, with race fuel too
mistake learnt, i won t try to force the torque at lower rpm again , even with forged rods
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Boccaccio (11-15-2019), Teseo (03-18-2024)
Old 11-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #954
Boccaccio
CAD monkey

Drives: '15 GT86 Giallo - Supercharged
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I can almost picture myself doing the same thing, if I were in your position

Lesson learned...an expensive one :/

How much power/torque were you putting down? Any changes to the fueling system?

Did you replace the OE PCV valve with a stronger one?
Boccaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #955
tomm.brz

I had a wrx pcv and both catch cans
No restrictor and no fuel system mods, there was no need
Never dynoed unluckily
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Boccaccio (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #956
Boccaccio
CAD monkey

Caught any significant amount of oil/blow-by sludge?

Closed or vented to atmosphere?

Thank you
Old 11-16-2019, 01:04 AM   #957
tomm.brz

Only on pcv side
Recirculated
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Boccaccio (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 06:30 AM   #958
Boccaccio
CAD monkey

Appreciate it, thank you
Old 11-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #959
S3pt1c

Drives: Supercharged 2015 GTS86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie84 View Post

So if any owners of HKS V2 SC track your cars, please enlighten me on how it performs!

Also, I am aware that this kit uses restriction plate. My goal is to be at around 260~270whp with header + OP + FP + catback. Will the restriction plate be modified or can I make somewhere close to my power goals with unmodified restriction plate?

Thanks in advance!

I had the HKS S/C fitted to my GTS by Fensport last year. They did a lovely job. At the same time they also fitted for me a Cobra resonated cat back system too. I also had the thing ECUTek tuned and have since bought the Bluetooth OBDII/USB dongle. Adrian at Fensport supplies be with a selection of maps, including one allowing the use of 95RON fuel (which I haven’t tried to be honest).
I have also had a set of Yokohamas fitted, v105s I think.
I have my first track day booked at Goodwood on the 14th December, fingers crossed the weather stays dry for it.
Before then I also have to fit Tein Flex A coilovers with the EDFC Active Pro system and all the motors etc., as well as a master cylinder brace, braided brake lines and sports pads. The GTS already comes with updated rotors and callipers do no need to upgrade those. I will need to get all the geometry and alignment set too once it’s been lowered. Which reminds me, I just find out whether or not I need to get hold of adjustable rods etc. to make proper use of the coilovers.

As for reliability, I’ve done about 3,000 miles since it was fitted, without a single problem of worry. Apart from oodles of extra power the biggest think I have noticed is the increase is fuel consumption. Gone from 7.9 litres per 100km to around 12. I suppose though that I shouldn’t worry too much about that as that’s a normal trade off for FI. This has all cost a very pretty penny, however driving the car is an absolute joy and it is has taken amazing restraint not drove it harder all the time and to have been caught speeding.
Given the state of the roads around the town where I live having fully adjustable dampers is going to be fantastic and will make a big difference to town driving. Speed bumps and the line may cause a problem though. Another thing I need to find out is whether I need to get the suspension reset and whelk alignment done every time I decide whether to raise or lower the height by an inch or two. I haven’t really thought too hard about all that yet. If I do need it each time then I may rethink lowering it at all for now. For most of the driving I do it doesn’t really need to be any lower than it is currently.

I am really looking forward to tracking it, and setting up the EDFC system properly at the same time.

Hope this info helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S3pt1c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S3pt1c For This Useful Post:
WC-BRZ (11-16-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #960
tomm.brz

Pic of Brian Crower BC6619 rods, custom made with tapered wrist end for stock pistons I use for my rebuild

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Boccaccio (11-25-2019), Trap63 (11-18-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 04:19 AM   #961
MobiusOne

Drives: Toyota GT86 HKS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Pic of Brian Crower BC6619 rods, custom made with tapered wrist end for stock pistons I use for my rebuild
Nice, you plan on changing only the rods?
MobiusOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:33 AM   #962
tomm.brz

Yes, i ll use brand new oem pistons with them
Other mods are just a cosworth oil pan baffle, thicker 1.06mm cosworth head gaskets and ARP head studs
Old 11-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #963
MobiusOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Yes, i ll use brand new oem pistons with them
Other mods are just a cosworth oil pan baffle, thicker 1.06mm cosworth head gaskets and ARP head studs
For the hks is more than enough, but keep in mind that if you upgrade the pistons it will be easier to switch to a turbo.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #964
tomm.brz

i'm keeping the hks v2 without restrictor
Old 12-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #965
MobiusOne

Has anybody tired this kit with the 2.1 hks stroker? I’m thinking about doing it, but internals + turbo convertion is more efficient and costs are similar
Old 12-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #966
SugarBrz

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boccaccio View Post
Hey, guys

I've just recently become a proud owner of an HKS supercharged toyobarü.

After a tune revision in august this year, I drove up a curvy mountain road to test out the tune and perform some datalogs. The car at that time had a custom tune and mild stage 2 bolt-ons (Gruppe-S header, AVO overpipe, Berk frontpipe, silicone intake elbow + Cosworth panel filter).

What happened was my worst fear coming true. Due to not having an oil cooler, the oil rose up to dangerously high numbers, thinning out and I spun the rod bearing #1 which also damaged the crankshaft and scored the cylinder wall. My fault for not having a proper oil cooler:

What happened next is me deciding to ship the whole car to GP Performance in Germany for a proper rebuild and during the course of the rebuild also opted for the HKS supercharger kit.

The engine has a new 2017+ shortblock, stronger rods, stronger head studs instead of OEM head bolts, modifications of the oiling system (GP performance trade secret :P ) including a new TODA oil pump and oil pan baffle.

While "in there", the valves, both timing chains, valve springs (intake springs have a higher spring rate), injector seals, plugs...have been replaced with new ones and some upgraded ones, to start with a really fresh engine.

The heads, timing cover, oil pan,...were cleaned with their aquablast parts cleaner to remove any bearing residue and the rest of the gunk:

Slightly thicker HKS head gaskets brought the CR a bit down, to make the engine a little bit more knock resistant:

The engine also features an oil pressure sensor linked directly to the ECU/Ecutek tune. If the oil pressure drops below a certain threshold, the CEL turns on, if it is still dropping, the ECU will initiate a fuel cut to remind the donkey behind the wheel (me) to take it easy.

Engine oil has been changed to Motul 300V 5W_40, cooled by an HKS oil cooler sitting directly behind the right fog-light (both fog lights have been removed):

The car now produces 311 HP at the crank, with peak boost of 0.7 bar (10 psi):

I love the effortless nature of the car. Realizing I'm still in the honeymoon phase, I think the power levels are enough Maybe I'll opt for a better header (ACE) and fuel upgrades in the future, but as it currently stands, I love it
I saw your car at the GP Performance when I picked up my car there. My standard engine with HKS Supercharger Kit blew up only 20km after my Subaru Dealer installed for me a brand new catted JDL UEL Header.

So after the rebuild I changed to a modified stock header with an 100 cell catalyzer. GP is offering this modification also I´m since then using 10w60 Motul Oil.