follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Electric power steering

Ok so from this pic

we can see that the FT will have EPS. my immediate reaction is , of course, but then...

it turns out the LF-A has column mounted electric power steering! conventionally, column mounted has the worst feel over pinion mounted and rack mounted, but the LF-A has great steering feel!!! THIS is why you have a halo car. THIS is why the LF-A costs so much. they've managed to make electric power steering great. so all those hours spent tuning the steering? it trickles down into $20k cars like the FT, hopefully

so what does all this mean? it means toyota knows how to make EPS great. sure a corolla or yaris isnt going to have similar steering feel/EPS tuning, but the FT was made with the same sporting intentions as the LF-A. it's supposed to be a bac to basics kinda car with as little intervention as possible. what better steering system to emulate? it would not surprise me if the steering of this car turns out to be LF-A good. and for an EPS system? that is HIGH praise...

Last edited by madfast; 10-06-2011 at 05:08 PM.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Kiwi

Drives: Volkswagen Golf GTI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The column mounted EPS was also one of my main concerns about this car.

I've never realized that the LFA also uses the same type of EPS system, but if Toyota can do it then lets hope they also do the same with the FT86.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Are you sure the power steering is done by toyota? Subaru also makes an EAPS system.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
My RX8 has electric power steering, it feels great.. This is different to drive by wire
Old 10-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
As long as we're talking about the steering system, this is a patent that was published last week assigned to Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru.) As with many patents, it tends to be rather vague as to what vehicle it goes to. That in mind, it describes a system for mechanical steering.

Quote from the first page:
"Moreover, since the steering gear ratio can be changed mechanically without performing motor control, the occurrence of control delay can be prevented, thereby reliably preventing deterioration of the driver's operational feel"

So whatever car this system is going on, it seems like they really want road feedback and driver experience to be key. Which, seems to be what they've been saying all along for the FR-S/BRZ/Whatever.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf US2011233886A1.pdf (493.6 KB, 391 views)

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Random_Art
professional smartass

And here's another patent from Fuji Heavy Industries describing an electric power steering unit published back in July.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf US2011172883A1.pdf (802.2 KB, 437 views)

Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
madfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Art View Post
As long as we're talking about the steering system, this is a patent that was published last week assigned to Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru.) As with many patents, it tends to be rather vague as to what vehicle it goes to. That in mind, it describes a system for mechanical steering.

Quote from the first page:
"Moreover, since the steering gear ratio can be changed mechanically without performing motor control, the occurrence of control delay can be prevented, thereby reliably preventing deterioration of the driver's operational feel"

So whatever car this system is going on, it seems like they really want road feedback and driver experience to be key. Which, seems to be what they've been saying all along for the FR-S/BRZ/Whatever.
i dunno how i feel about variable steering ratios. BMW's active steering hasnt been such a hit. i have a feeling this patent isnt for this car. steering is absolutely important in this back to basics car. variable ratio is not necessary. i personally want it quick all the time
Old 10-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
My RX8 has electric power steering, it feels great.. This is different to drive by wire
RX8 uses rack mounted EPS. This is column mounted, which is known for having terrible feel.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
i dunno how i feel about variable steering ratios. BMW's active steering hasnt been such a hit. i have a feeling this patent isnt for this car. steering is absolutely important in this back to basics car. variable ratio is not necessary. i personally want it quick all the time
I dunno, I'd rather have a mechanical power steering system with variable ratio over a column mounted EPS system any day of the week. How would column mounted EPS be more "back to the basics" than mechanical, regardless of variable steering ratios or not.

As long as the variable steering is quick for all but the very extremes of wheel angles (yes I'd prefer non variable as well, but in this world of EPS systems I'd love ANY mech system instead!) then I think it'll be great to have the system that patent is for... and it does seem like a potentially good sign that the patent seems focused on driver involvement, exactly what Toyota and Subaru say this car was designed for.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
Random_Art
professional smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I dunno, I'd rather have a mechanical power steering system with variable ratio over a column mounted EPS system any day of the week. How would column mounted EPS be more "back to the basics" than mechanical, regardless of variable steering ratios or not.

As long as the variable steering is quick for all but the very extremes of wheel angles (yes I'd prefer non variable as well, but in this world of EPS systems I'd love ANY mech system instead!) then I think it'll be great to have the system that patent is for... and it does seem like a potentially good sign that the patent seems focused on driver involvement, exactly what Toyota and Subaru say this car was designed for.
I, too, would rather have the mechanical steering. I've driven a few new cars that had electric power steering, and every single one felt dead to the road. Personally, I miss how much feedback I got from my Celica.

But, on the other hand, I don't want the system to be so mechanically stupid as to be almost impossible to turn the wheel when the car is stationary. It was a workout to wrestle with the wheel in my old Toyota pickup.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
madfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Art View Post
I, too, would rather have the mechanical steering. I've driven a few new cars that had electric power steering, and every single one felt dead to the road. Personally, I miss how much feedback I got from my Celica.

But, on the other hand, I don't want the system to be so mechanically stupid as to be almost impossible to turn the wheel when the car is stationary. It was a workout to wrestle with the wheel in my old Toyota pickup.
there's no point in talking about mechanical steering. it looks like 99.999% chance that it's EPS. fwiw the new 991 porsche 911 has EPS so its a sign of the times. Im just glad and optimistic that toyota has shown that they can make a column mounted EPS that doesnt outright suck.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
there's no point in talking about mechanical steering. it looks like 99.999% chance that it's EPS. fwiw the new 991 porsche 911 has EPS so its a sign of the times. Im just glad and optimistic that toyota has shown that they can make a column mounted EPS that doesnt outright suck.
Well if Subaru just filed a patent now than the rest of us can keep the hope alive that it won't be a POS EPS system
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
Kiwi

Drives: Volkswagen Golf GTI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm pretty sure all or most cars are using mechanical steering as I don't think steer-by-wire is offered right now.

The difference is that the steering is power assisted with electric motors instead of using hydraulic pumps.
All in all this is encouraging news.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #14
madfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I'm pretty sure all or most cars are using mechanical steering as I don't think steer-by-wire is offered right now.

The difference is that the steering is power assisted with electric motors instead of using hydraulic pumps.
All in all this is encouraging news.
in terms of this discussion, it's assumed "mechanical steering" means hydraulic power steering.