follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #29
IgnitionGundam

Drives: Silver Ignition Gundam
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
Unfortunately for me, I stuck it on there a little bit off center. Should have woken the wife up to offer a second hand when installing. Have left it alone for now because I'm pretty sure that when it finally gets loose, it will pull tint with it.
I did the same thing. I couldn't bare to look at it. I stripped it off cleaned it up, wrapped it in carbon fiber and used a 1/4 inch double sided black tape instead of the 1/2 inch it came with. Made sure to measure and center it properly this time with masking tape. Came out great imo.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #30
Shindig

Drives: 2013 FRS
^^^
@IgnitionGundam Very nice install... How long for total installation?
Shindig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shindig For This Useful Post:
jort88 (05-02-2015)
Old 10-12-2014, 01:17 AM   #31
IgnitionGundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
^^^
@IgnitionGundam Very nice install... How long for total installation?
Too long. Seriously over a course of a week on and off. Had to figure out how to take the back off without taking off the side panels. Drilling out the original third brake light assembly was a challenge cause the panel is so flimsy you feel like you're gonna snap the thing in half.

When I put on the original 3rd brake light, it was off centered by like half an inch. Bugged the hell out of me. Ended up taking it all off. Stripping down the original tape to plastic which took forever. Then measured and measured until it was centered and taped it masking tape for perfect alignment. Stuck it on with 1/2 in tape and realized how ugly it looked through the window. Stripped again and did it with 1/4 inch tape, and got the idea to wrap the inside with carbon fiber vinyl. Put it on, then realized the window got dirty again...stripped it off one last time, cleaned the window and put it back on... now i'm happy.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #32
Shindig

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitionGundam View Post
Too long. Seriously over a course of a week on and off. Had to figure out how to take the back off without taking off the side panels. Drilling out the original third brake light assembly was a challenge cause the panel is so flimsy you feel like you're gonna snap the thing in half.

When I put on the original 3rd brake light, it was off centered by like half an inch. Bugged the hell out of me. Ended up taking it all off. Stripping down the original tape to plastic which took forever. Then measured and measured until it was centered and taped it masking tape for perfect alignment. Stuck it on with 1/2 in tape and realized how ugly it looked through the window. Stripped again and did it with 1/4 inch tape, and got the idea to wrap the inside with carbon fiber vinyl. Put it on, then realized the window got dirty again...stripped it off one last time, cleaned the window and put it back on... now i'm happy.
at least it's perfect now lol
Shindig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #33
Phaedrus29

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitionGundam View Post

Haha nice work. Maybe I shouldn't have titled this "Easy" Third Brake Light Solution. "Relatively Easy Solution"
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:16 AM   #34
IgnitionGundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus29 View Post
Haha nice work. Maybe I shouldn't have titled this "Easy" Third Brake Light Solution. "Relatively Easy Solution"
Oh and thanks to @Phaedrus29 for guiding me through the rear deck removal process.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #35
Zardoman

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks OP, mine came out great! good find!
Zardoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #36
codesplice
Elite Recognized Geek

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Got the CDC brake light installed over the weekend (along with the Beatsonic sharkfin). Grainy smartphone pics to follow:

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. It took me about three hours total, including a run to Autozone (for a panel removal tool) and another to Michael's (for the adhesive felt to patch the rear deck).

Thanks again @Phaedrus29 for paving the way!
This post is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the poster's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.
G+
codesplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #37
Mooseknuckle44

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quick question. Just found this thread. How's this solution holding up to over 8 months of being stuck up there? Falling off or separating at all? This looks SOOOO much better than the spaceship 3rd brake light it came with. GREAT Find!! Thanks for the DIY.
2013 FRS-Asphalt-M6-Invidia N1, K&N drop in, plasti dipped emblems, debadged FRS, Spyder II tails, 5000K Bi-xenon HID's, red demon eyes, Quad halo's, switchbacks w/Tapturn mod,Grimmspeed hood struts, led everything exterior, H&R 25mmF/15mmR spacers, Sportlines, SPC LCA's..(FUN car)
Mooseknuckle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #38
Max FRS

Drives: 2015 Halo FRS Automatic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I did this September 2014 and it has not come loose at all. I did use a heat gun to warm up the plastic, then held it firmly against the window with a rag until cool on both sides so that it perfectly lines up with the curve of my window. Great mod and inexpensive.
Max FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #39
Phaedrus29

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle44 View Post
Quick question. Just found this thread. How's this solution holding up to over 8 months of being stuck up there? Falling off or separating at all? This looks SOOOO much better than the spaceship 3rd brake light it came with. GREAT Find!! Thanks for the DIY.
No issues to report here either. Still very happy with the mod.
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #40
Mooseknuckle44

Garage
Thanks fellas!! Think l'ma do this VERY soon!!
2013 FRS-Asphalt-M6-Invidia N1, K&N drop in, plasti dipped emblems, debadged FRS, Spyder II tails, 5000K Bi-xenon HID's, red demon eyes, Quad halo's, switchbacks w/Tapturn mod,Grimmspeed hood struts, led everything exterior, H&R 25mmF/15mmR spacers, Sportlines, SPC LCA's..(FUN car)
Old 05-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #41
Mooseknuckle44

Garage
@boredom.is.me
Old 05-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #42
SmartedPanda

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited Manual. 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wish there was an easier way to remove the rear brake light.
I am way too stupid and clumsy for this by myself!
[| Blox 490 Knob | Mishimoto Silicon Intake | K&N Filter | DD Always-On DRL | Tomei 60S | Weather Tech | RED USDM TOM's Tail Lights | OEM Underbody Panels | Intec High Mount Brake | RexSpeed Heated Wide Mirrors | TC105N 17x9 | Super Sport 245/40R17 |TRD Quickshifter | Porsche Brake Air Duct | TRD Sliding Armrest| OEM Knee Pads | MTEC Shifter Springs| WRX OEM Oil Cooler| Generic PVC Catch Can|]
SmartedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmartedPanda For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (05-10-2015)