follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #29
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I haven't been too crazy with the nexus in yet, but the mount has stayed on the dash through some hellish test driving after I got my sways and springs put in >:]. I'm 99% positive it will hold up with the nexus as well.

I think it was around $50 on ebay, very high quality though, I was expecting somewhat of a junky product, but am very impressed.
I bought a suction cup mount, (just a cheap 15$ off ebay) still waiting for it come in, but I'm definitely trying to find something that if I go into a drift or do some agressive driving my nexus 7 wont fly out aha lol, I do like the idea of where it mounts because it doesn't obstruct your view too much, aslong as air from the a/c still makes it way passed it, I think I might be sold depending how my ebay one is ;D
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #30
Batman
Easy, Tiger.

Drives: Tiguan, S4, SBC 350 Wrangler
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody602 View Post
I bought a suction cup mount, (just a cheap 15$ off ebay) still waiting for it come in, but I'm definitely trying to find something that if I go into a drift or do some agressive driving my nexus 7 wont fly out aha lol, I do like the idea of where it mounts because it doesn't obstruct your view too much, aslong as air from the a/c still makes it way passed it, I think I might be sold depending how my ebay one is ;D
It hasn't slid around or moved at all when I hit some hard corners, but I haven't done a track day with it yet. My only problem is it rattles slightly when the nexus isn't in it, but its so faint I can only hear it when the music isn't on. Let me know how your suction cup works though! My other build I help with is still needing something, and he is open to suggestions!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #31
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
It hasn't slid around or moved at all when I hit some hard corners, but I haven't done a track day with it yet. My only problem is it rattles slightly when the nexus isn't in it, but its so faint I can only hear it when the music isn't on. Let me know how your suction cup works though! My other build I help with is still needing something, and he is open to suggestions!
I'll let you know for sure, it'd be nice if there a vendor that can craft up some sort of mount for the nexus 7 in the fr-s in great location and that has a nice look to it. I thought about making my own, but I've never fiberglassed before so idk aha, and the only reason I'd use it is gps/gauges, no plans on making it play audio of any sort or anything, just for gauges and gps lol
Batman (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #32
xn7485

Drives: 1995 Acura Integra GS-R
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Posted pic up in page 1 post of ProClip + Nexus 7.

Quote:
I have my nexus 7 mounted right on the dash with the Kroppson, its awesome! Pics in the build album on my profile, if the one below doesn't work
I like where this mount sits, but doesn't it block your windshield view somewhat?
xn7485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #33
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by xn7485 View Post
Posted pic up in page 1 post of ProClip + Nexus 7.

I like where this mount sits, but doesn't it block your windshield view somewhat?
Can't be any worse then a GPS lol, it doesn't sit too high, plus it's somewhat adjustable (height wise) I've done my research

Last edited by Brody602; 12-06-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Brody602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #34
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Track's around here like Lime Rock Park do not allow items that are not permanently attached to the vehicle to be in the cabin while you are racing. They don't even allow Go-Pro camera's on the outside of the car without a steel safety cable attaching it to the car. A tablet on a mount would be a big no-no around here.

When the time comes I will be getting an Android head unit from CA-Fi and running Torque on it. My buddy @2forme has done this already and it is by far the cleanest and easiest way to do something like this. It is also Track safe at all tracks as it is permanently mounted to the vehicle and cannot come lose in a crash or during cornering/braking.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
CxG (01-12-2017)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #35
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
Track's around here like Lime Rock Park do not allow items that are not permanently attached to the vehicle to be in the cabin while you are racing. They don't even allow Go-Pro camera's on the outside of the car without a steel safety cable attaching it to the car. A tablet on a mount would be a big no-no around here.

When the time comes I will be getting an Android head unit from CA-Fi and running Torque on it. My buddy @2forme has done this already and it is by far the cleanest and easiest way to do something like this. It is also Track safe at all tracks as it is permanently mounted to the vehicle and cannot come lose in a crash or during cornering/braking.
I looked into the android HU's but until they come out with one with a lot better hardware and the capability of running JellyBean, I'm not sure if they interest me all that much. JellyBean is one of androids most stable OS's so I'd like it. The android units also seem to have a fair amount of drawbacks, i.e. lag, bugs, glitches.

On a side note, how well does the torque app run on the supported OS? Is it possible to have music in the background while in the torque app?
CxG (01-12-2017)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #36
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
I looked into the android HU's but until they come out with one with a lot better hardware and the capability of running JellyBean, I'm not sure if they interest me all that much. JellyBean is one of androids most stable OS's so I'd like it. The android units also seem to have a fair amount of drawbacks, i.e. lag, bugs, glitches.

On a side note, how well does the torque app run on the supported OS? Is it possible to have music in the background while in the torque app?
The CA-Fi unit has a Capacitive touch screen, and is capable of running JellyBean, there should be a 4.1 upgrade coming out for it soonish. I've used @2forme's unit and there is no lag. It's just like using my Cellphone.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
CxG (01-12-2017)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #37
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
The CA-Fi unit has a Capacitive touch screen, and is capable of running JellyBean, there should be a 4.1 upgrade coming out for it soonish. I've used @2forme's unit and there is no lag. It's just like using my Cellphone.
Will it run 4.1 as smoothly? You've definitely gained my interest, also is when you say it's capable of running 4.1, is it actually upgradeable to that or do you have to by pass stuff? thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #38
ProjectD

Drives: '04 350Z/ 2013 LR BRZ (LM)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'll let you know for sure, it'd be nice if there a vendor that can craft up some sort of mount for the nexus 7 in the fr-s in great location and that has a nice look to it. I thought about making my own, but I've never fiberglassed before so idk aha, and the only reason I'd use it is gps/gauges, no plans on making it play audio of any sort or anything, just for gauges and gps lol
Wait, wait, wait....i know this is a Dumb Q, but can you actually have the Nexus 7 connected to BOTH the bluetooth sensor (Torque app) AND have the HU (via Bluetooth) simultaneously playing MP3s? I currently am using a Flash Drive (32g) for my tunes and i was actually planning on getting either the Prime (like spartan65) or the 7, with a different mount and use it to store Music/ Games (when bored in traffic)/ Some Navigation/ and Mainly to use Torque app.

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing lol

My question was targeted towards using Blutooth with the stock head unit + using the OBD sensor (also connected via bluetooth) and work simultaneously.
ProjectD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #39
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectD View Post
Wait, wait, wait....i know this is a Dumb Q, but can you actually have the Nexus 7 connected to BOTH the bluetooth sensor (Torque app) AND have the HU (via Bluetooth) simultaneously playing MP3s? I currently am using a Flash Drive (32g) for my tunes and i was actually planning on getting either the Prime (like spartan65) or the 7, with a different mount and use it to store Music/ Games (when bored in traffic)/ Some Navigation/ and Mainly to use Torque app.

I was thinking the same thing lol

My question was targeted towards using Blutooth with the stock head unit + using the OBD sensor (also connected via bluetooth) and work simultaneously.
I don't think you can have the Nexus 7 paired with 2 seperate devices, (I'm still waiting to receive mine in the mail, should be here monday! ) although it may be possible.

With the Ca-Fi unit, you can only use the WIFI obd sensor, therefore you would be able to have a connected device via bluetooth. But with the head unit you're probably better off just using an SD card or whatever.
ProjectD (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #40
ProjectD

Drives: '04 350Z/ 2013 LR BRZ (LM)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I don't think you can have the Nexus 7 paired with 2 seperate devices, (I'm still waiting to receive mine in the mail, should be here monday! ) although it may be possible.

With the Ca-Fi unit, you can only use the WIFI obd sensor, therefore you would be able to have a connected device via bluetooth. But with the head unit you're probably better off just using an SD card or whatever.
Ok Cool. Thanks. Keep us posted on your progress with the Nexus 7.
ProjectD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #41
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectD View Post
Ok Cool. Thanks. Keep us posted on your progress with the Nexus 7.
Will do
Old 12-07-2012, 03:33 AM   #42
Gardus@Supersprint
Banned

Drives: Clio TCE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you go into your settings, and then I think theres a datalogging section, cant you specify what sensors you want to log and what not?
Yes, thanks, I missed that. I'll try tomorrow.
Gardus@Supersprint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, app, boost, gauges, torque