follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
DCStorm

Drives: 2013 FR-S (RIP), 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Car not starting after head unit/speaker/amp install? HELP!

So this has got to be the weirdest and most concerning thing I've seen on my car in the 4 years I've had her. Basically I had a new head unit, all 8 speakers upgraded, added an amp and sub, and had all installed professionally. I'm no good with car electronics so I had everything installed by a professional.

Everything seemed fine and the speakers sounded great but after taking my car home from the shop that installed everything, my car no longer would start. I'd turn the ignition all the way and it wouldn't even click. The engine wouldn't even attempt to start. It definitely wasn't the battery because all the electronics in the car work. I'd have to play with it for almost an hour to get lucky for it to start. This has me really worried as the FRS is my daily.

The day after the install it kept doing the same thing. I got it to start and took it back to the shop that installed everything and they said everything checked out ok. My car then didn't start again as I was leaving but they said they had no clue what it could be. Mind you I've never had any issue like this at all in the past.

Then my car finally started and the check engine light came on. Mine is an automatic and the light in the gauges that signify if the car is in P or N or D didn't light up. And if I'd put it in drive the car would jerk really bad.

Today I woke up early to take it to the Toyota dealer and the car started perfectly and everything. Once I got there it continued to start normally and they couldn't find anything. The only thing I notice now is a minor high pitched whine that seems to go along with the RPM's of the engine, not too sure. However I don't believe an issue like that will just autocorrect itself so I'm still very worried. If anybody can please pitch in I'd greatly appreciate it.

My FRS is like my baby and I just want everything to function normally.
DCStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #2
22R
22R

Drives: 2012 Camry SE 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How old is your battery ? Are battery post clean ? The fact that it worked fine after the stereo shop gave it to you indicates their work was fine. Either battery or some other issue just happened.

22R
22R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:16 AM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Sounds to me like it was the anti thief device kicking in. A while ago another frs owner went through the same thing after getting an audio upgrade. If I recalled the trouble was with his key fob not communicating with the alarm brain. In the end I believe the dealer had to reset the key fob or something like that so the car can start.

The minor high pitch sound is a common problem, that's an easy fix it's just a ground loop. One of the amps just needs a new grounding point or needs to be metal on metal contact that's all. Although maybe that could also cause your problems if there was a bad ground somewhere and it was messing up with the ecu.

Either way might be better off taking it back to the audio shop or, if it was me take it to a slightly better shop to have it looked over.

Maybe some one else might have some better ideas. That's my 2 cents on the matter.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
DCStorm (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 12:57 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22R View Post
How old is your battery ? Are battery post clean ? The fact that it worked fine after the stereo shop gave it to you indicates their work was fine. Either battery or some other issue just happened.

22R
Ya, I'd suspect that the battery is getting weak.

I'd suggest you take it to a shop and have the battery "load tested". If it doesn't pass ..... time for a new battery.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:20 AM   #5
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
It's most likely your battery. Your electronics can still work. Chances are you battery voltage is low and can't turn over the engine. Also, check the alternator. Make sure it's outputting around 14 volts. Also, your new sound system can be wired incorrectly causing it to draw too much current, so the alternator wont be able to keep up with charging the battery.
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal3000 For This Useful Post:
DCStorm (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 06:29 AM   #6
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCStorm View Post
my car no longer would start. I'd turn the ignition all the way and it wouldn't even click. The engine wouldn't even attempt to start.
This has nothing to do with the battery. If it was battery related, it'd try to start and fail. No noise, no click but power to the car means that something else is going on.

The shop that installed the stereo is responsible to fix this. Force the issue. They also have to fix that ground loop (the whining noise you hear). they were sloppy and should have picked that up right away.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-19-2017), DCStorm (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
This has nothing to do with the battery. If it was battery related, it'd try to start and fail. No noise, no click but power to the car means that something else is going on.

The shop that installed the stereo is responsible to fix this. Force the issue. They also have to fix that ground loop (the whining noise you hear). they were sloppy and should have picked that up right away.
Bet you a beer it is the battery. It doesn't have to click or try for the power to be too low to activate the starter but high enough to run everything else.

Wish I had a dollar for everybody that said it can't be the battery because everything else works just to find out it was the battery or connections to it.

The battery should ALWAYS be the first thing checked and never ruled out because accessories work.
22R (06-19-2017), DCStorm (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #8
DCStorm

Drives: 2013 FR-S (RIP), 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22R View Post

22R
That was what I thought too but the battery is almost new, probably less then 500 miles on it
DCStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCStorm View Post
That was what I thought too but the battery is almost new, probably less then 500 miles on it
Doesn't mean it could not have been drained just enough to not start the car. They were doing work that involves electrical after all.
If it happens again give it a check and actually rule it out.
Sound like it just managed to get charged up enough and that is why it fixed itself.
DCStorm (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
22R
22R

Drives: 2012 Camry SE 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Again I said it is probably the battery it could be something else but charge the battery first and check the voltage then go from there
22R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 22R For This Useful Post:
DCStorm (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #11
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
definitely have the shop correct the ground loop whine (aka alternator whine)
This can come from having the gain adjusted too high too, but it's their job to figure out if you paid for professional work.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chimera For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-19-2017), DCStorm (06-19-2017), Tcoat (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #12
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Bet you a beer it is the battery. It doesn't have to click or try for the power to be too low to activate the starter but high enough to run everything else.

Wish I had a dollar for everybody that said it can't be the battery because everything else works just to find out it was the battery or connections to it.

The battery should ALWAYS be the first thing checked and never ruled out because accessories work.
You're gonna owe me a beer, bud. The starter will at least make a noise and try something. If the starter isn't even budging AND you have power to the car, it ain't the battery. I know that you can have power to everything and the starter won't turn the car over, but it'll do something. I spend all day explaining this to people at work.

Either the starter is bad(or there's a connection isue with it) or it's a security issue. Unless it's some sort of ECU issue which I am not familiar with. But since the stereo system on most cars is tied in closely with the infotainment system, my money's on the shop not reconnecting everything correctly.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #13
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
You're gonna owe me a beer, bud. The starter will at least make a noise and try something. If the starter isn't even budging AND you have power to the car, it ain't the battery. I know that you can have power to everything and the starter won't turn the car over, but it'll do something. I spend all day explaining this to people at work.

Either the starter is bad(or there's a connection isue with it) or it's a security issue. Unless it's some sort of ECU issue which I am not familiar with. But since the stereo system on most cars is tied in closely with the infotainment system, my money's on the shop not reconnecting everything correctly.
Nah. Loads of times there isn't even a click or buzz or anything.
He already has it up and running and the only thing that was changed was it charged itself up once started.
fika84 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #14
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

He had already said it was an intermittent problem- it's not fixed. And how do you explain that it started in the first place without a jumpstart?