follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #85
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
YMMV. There is no one right use. Most people think our intervals are too long, especially for a car that sees the amount of track testing ours does (virtually every weekend).
For clarity is this mixed track/DD usage? Straight or 90% track usage? More like the average person who uses this as their only car with something like 5/95 track (or hard running)/DD miles?

Would be an awesome endorsement for following what's recommended in the owners manual if you guys are confident, the only issue you guys have really had is the DI seals correct?
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:33 PM   #86
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
For clarity is this mixed track/DD usage? Straight or 90% track usage? More like the average person who uses this as their only car with something like 5/95 track (or hard running)/DD miles?

Would be an awesome endorsement for following what's recommended in the owners manual if you guys are confident, the only issue you guys have really had is the DI seals correct?
It's mixed usage, but with copious amounts of track testing.

Remember, actual on-track miles are not THAT high, but the load is much higher.

Also, remember that we get our fluids tested, and are, literally, using the most expensive fluids available. If you want to run this kind of interval, DO NOT do it without gtting your fliuds tested at an appropriate lab.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (04-29-2015), strat61caster (04-29-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #87
regandr

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
take a pro driver's school FIRST !!

Please let a former Skip Barber school instructor and 30 year SCCA racer (including a regional championship) make a few suggestions :
1. do absolutely nothing to your car before your first NASA or SCCA track day. that's right, nothing.
2. the reason for this advice is you need to experience what your car and YOU can do, right out of the box, before you make any changes
These are fabulous track cars - STOCK !!
Let me give you a real-world example:
I have run 44 track days in my STOCK BRZ. the ONLY mod. to this car is a set of BFG G-Force Rival tires. I regularly run at Miller M.S. Park in SLC with guys who have spent $10000 + on their cars for superchargers, coil-overs, wings, aero skirts, wheels, yadda, yadda. They are all SLOWER than, or only very slightly (in the dry) faster than my STOCK car !! and I am old enough to be all of their fathers !
All of them should have spent their hard earned $$ on a pro drivers school : Skip Barber, Bondurant, etc. and learned how to drive first. Any a__hole can hammer the throttle on the straight. You become smooth, fast and a much better driver in the corners.
regandr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to regandr For This Useful Post:
kravi (01-16-2016)
Old 05-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #88
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Fine advice, but this thread is about prepping the car...
Old 05-04-2015, 07:05 PM   #89
Special_K
Bannéd

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Thanked 2,077 Times in 911 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sorry in advance for being a ****, but why the fuck do you keep saying 4/32" tread instead of just 1/8"?!?!... My inner engineer just died a little bit.

Other than that good writeup though.
The fascinating thing about my signature is that by the time you realize that it is of no importance, it will also be too late to stop reading it. Good luck getting those five seconds of your life back.
Special_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #90
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_K View Post
Sorry in advance for being a ****, but why the fuck do you keep saying 4/32" tread instead of just 1/8"?!?!... My inner engineer just died a little bit.

Other than that good writeup though.
Because tread is measured in 1/32" increments...
Old 05-04-2015, 07:13 PM   #91
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by regandr View Post
Please let a former Skip Barber school instructor and 30 year SCCA racer (including a regional championship) make a few suggestions :
1. do absolutely nothing to your car before your first NASA or SCCA track day. that's right, nothing.
2. the reason for this advice is you need to experience what your car and YOU can do, right out of the box, before you make any changes
These are fabulous track cars - STOCK !!
Let me give you a real-world example:
I have run 44 track days in my STOCK BRZ. the ONLY mod. to this car is a set of BFG G-Force Rival tires. I regularly run at Miller M.S. Park in SLC with guys who have spent $10000 + on their cars for superchargers, coil-overs, wings, aero skirts, wheels, yadda, yadda. They are all SLOWER than, or only very slightly (in the dry) faster than my STOCK car !! and I am old enough to be all of their fathers !
All of them should have spent their hard earned $$ on a pro drivers school : Skip Barber, Bondurant, etc. and learned how to drive first. Any a__hole can hammer the throttle on the straight. You become smooth, fast and a much better driver in the corners.
Not even brake pads?
Old 05-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #92
Special_K
Bannéd

Quote:
Because tread is measured in 1/32" increments...
Even so, do people honestly say they have 16/32" of tread and not just a half inch? I believe the tolerance cutoff is 1/32" not the measurement standard... Anyway, off-topic move along.
The fascinating thing about my signature is that by the time you realize that it is of no importance, it will also be too late to stop reading it. Good luck getting those five seconds of your life back.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #93
CSG Mike

Quote:
Even so, do people honestly say they have 16/32" of tread and not just a half inch? I believe the tolerance cutoff is 1/32" not the measurement standard... Anyway, off-topic move along.
Yes, you always say you have 'x/32' tread remaining when referring to tread depth. If you've ever seen a tread depth measurement tool, they are marked in 1/32" increments.

seriously.

Lowest common denominator isn't always faster either.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:13 PM   #94
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Not even brake pads?
He must not be braking hard enough since my first couple times out I used the stock pads and had lots of fade as they got too hot.

On a side note Mike I have AX6 pads for the rear, but my fronts are shot along with my rotors (new stock rotors already installed). I'd rather just buy new front pads for track days for now until I save up enough for the AP racing endurance kit. I'm assuming XP10 is what you'd recommend for the front on RE-11a tires with 250whp? My rear AX6 pads have lots of life left.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:36 PM   #95
Special_K
Bannéd

Quote:
Yes, you always say you have 'x/32' tread remaining when referring to tread depth. If you've ever seen a tread depth measurement tool, they are marked in 1/32" increments.

seriously.

Lowest common denominator isn't always faster either.
Fair enough, you guys keep doing whatever you do... At my work 1/64 is the smallest common increment, but I know that if I denoted a part as 8/64" instead of 1/8" I'd get slapped from here to next week
Old 05-04-2015, 10:50 PM   #96
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Fair enough, you guys keep doing whatever you do... At my work 1/64 is the smallest common increment, but I know that if I denoted a part as 8/64" instead of 1/8" I'd get slapped from here to next week
It's not doing whatever we do...it's the way tire industry measures tread depth. I work in the tire industry. It's all I've been doing for 10 years. Tread depth is measured in 32nds, always. Just the way it is and has always been.

Now, if you're measuring distance for something? Well...yeah, no sense in using 16/32, 8/16, 4/8, etc...
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apex_BRZ For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-05-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #97
Special_K
Bannéd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_BRZ View Post
It's not doing whatever we do...it's the way tire industry measures tread depth. I work in the tire industry. It's all I've been doing for 10 years. Tread depth is measured in 32nds, always. Just the way it is and has always been.

Now, if you're measuring distance for something? Well...yeah, no sense in using 16/32, 8/16, 4/8, etc...
I would say that's the exact definition of "doing whatever you do". Tire guys use 32nds... ergo. keep doing whatever you do.

The Following User Says Thank You to Special_K For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-05-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #98
zdr93523

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Not even brake pads?
I know @regandr and he only runs upgraded brake fluid and tires. He does a VERY good job of keeping up with me and @enivid, even with his nearly stock car. It is a testament to his skill and experience.

For what it's worth, I have a great pic that my wife took of three of us standing around listening to Don drop knowledge on us. We appreciate his instruction and apply little tidbits of information at every opportunity. My braking has become smoother (my biggest struggle regarding weight transfer is smooth brake release), Andy had a revelation regarding his tire pressures, and I'm not sure what Mike is doing but he sure is thinking hard in the pic!

IMG_4350 by zdr93523, on Flickr

And yea, we spent a lot of money on the cars, but half of the enjoyment in owning these cars is playing with them, whether it is driving or modding. At least we don't have non-functional mods.

@regandr Why don't you compete in TTD and win some tires or brakes or whatever contingency program you want to participate in? What were your times on the West track last month?
@CSG Mike What's the typical time separation between the NA Stock class and FI Super Mod cars in 86 Cup? 8 seconds is about the average from what I can surmise. So, we're not exactly throttle hammering a___holes (like GTR & 911 Turbo drivers) like it has been insinuated.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com

Last edited by zdr93523; 05-05-2015 at 12:05 AM.
zdr93523 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zdr93523 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-05-2015), kravi (01-16-2016), Sleepless (05-05-2015)