follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2018, 05:22 PM   #15
Beachin86

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Okay that helps. Thanks for the input guys. I'm taking it in on Monday and will post here with an update.
Beachin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beachin86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #16
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Mine didn't need it when I replaced my TOB. I didn't even notice that piece was modular until I saw Tcoat's picture. That is very good to know for future reference. I looked up the price of that piece and it's only $56. It even includes a bearing for input shaft.

SU00303853
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Beachin86 (02-01-2018), Tcoat (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #17
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Get it replaced. I needed a whole new clutch fork + ToB, then when my transmission was still grinding going to 4th/5th gear a brand new transmission. Had to take it to a different dealer than the one I bought it from, since the first one also "fixed" my wiring harness with duct tape & I needed that replaced as well...
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hades For This Useful Post:
Beachin86 (02-01-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #18
Beachin86

Allright. Took the car in, tried to show them the TSB but they didn't want to look at it and insisted on their diagnosis to determine what the issue was. I think this is just because at dealers you have to deal with the people at the counter rather than the mechanics, but whatever. $150 for that.

I get a free shuttle home and they call me back later saying it is indeed the throw out bearing, and I'm out of warranty, so it won't be covered. I bring up the "Elite Protection Plan" to see if what I felt I was suckered into would help at all. Apparently it's a third-party warranty and not Toyota's, or something along those lines as she didn't seem aware of what I was talking about. Anyway, she calls back to tell me not only will that cover the TOB, it'll also cover the "cover" and labor cost. The only thing it wouldn't cover was the clutch.

So I point out that there's a brand new OEM replacement clutch along with a clutch fork sitting in my trunk and asked if they could use that instead of theirs. I was happy to hear a yes to the clutch, but a no to the clutch fork since it apparently isn't worn out to need replacing. Fine. I pay their $150 diagnosis fee and $50 deductible for my Elite warranty and will get the car back tomorrow.

Whew, I feel like I dodged a bullet on this one haha.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beachin86 For This Useful Post:
Hades (02-05-2018), Tcoat (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 03:55 PM   #19
Beachin86

Allright, picked it up last night and the clutch is buttery smooth. So much so that I'm not even sure if there's a clutch in there. haha. One thing I'm noticing now is when I press the clutch pedal in, there's a slight metal rubbing sound, almost like two metal poles sliding against each other. Is that normal? Is it possible the mechanic didn't lube up the input shaft before putting the TOB back on? Not sure if I should be concerned or not at this point knowing the new parts are in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beachin86 For This Useful Post:
Hades (02-09-2018), Tcoat (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:57 AM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachin86 View Post
Allright, picked it up last night and the clutch is buttery smooth. So much so that I'm not even sure if there's a clutch in there. haha. One thing I'm noticing now is when I press the clutch pedal in, there's a slight metal rubbing sound, almost like two metal poles sliding against each other. Is that normal? Is it possible the mechanic didn't lube up the input shaft before putting the TOB back on? Not sure if I should be concerned or not at this point knowing the new parts are in.
Ya I was floored about how smooth it was again after it was fixed. It comes on so slowly that you don't even notice the change until it is back to what it is supposed to be.
If it is the rubbing sound I think you mean it is normal but was masked by the bad TOB.
Beachin86 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #21
Beachin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ya I was floored about how smooth it was again after it was fixed. It comes on so slowly that you don't even notice the change until it is back to what it is supposed to be.
If it is the rubbing sound I think you mean it is normal but was masked by the bad TOB.
The sound went away. I think it was just the new TOB sliding on the shaft it sits on. I guess the grease just needed time to spread evenly or wear in a little.

One thing that I found extremely annoying was that I was slightly burning the new clutch almost every time I would engage it, just because I can't tell where the bite point is anymore. I removed the clutch assist spring last night and no more burning. I've known about the spring for a while but just never took the time to remove it. Now I know exactly where the bite point is. Feels great to finally have some feedback in the clutch. Before I could actually rest my foot on the pedal (I know, bad habit), but I knew it wasn't engaging at all. Now it's so sensitive, as soon as my foot touches it I can feel it beginning to engage. I might get an adjustable aftermarket spring if possible just so I have some peace of mind that the pedal is all the way up when it's not being used. So far I've tested having my foot under it (slightly pulling the pedal towards me) while driving to see if there's any vibration but it doesn't feel like it. It's just really sensitive now if there's any weight on it.

All in all, I'm very happy with the new parts and the minimal price I paid to have them installed.
Tcoat (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #22
Tcoat

Quote:
The sound went away. I think it was just the new TOB sliding on the shaft it sits on. I guess the grease just needed time to spread evenly or wear in a little.

One thing that I found extremely annoying was that I was slightly burning the new clutch almost every time I would engage it, just because I can't tell where the bite point is anymore. I removed the clutch assist spring last night and no more burning. I've known about the spring for a while but just never took the time to remove it. Now I know exactly where the bite point is. Feels great to finally have some feedback in the clutch. Before I could actually rest my foot on the pedal (I know, bad habit), but I knew it wasn't engaging at all. Now it's so sensitive, as soon as my foot touches it I can feel it beginning to engage. I might get an adjustable aftermarket spring if possible just so I have some peace of mind that the pedal is all the way up when it's not being used. So far I've tested having my foot under it (slightly pulling the pedal towards me) while driving to see if there's any vibration but it doesn't feel like it. It's just really sensitive now if there's any weight on it.

All in all, I'm very happy with the new parts and the minimal price I paid to have them installed.
I am going to pull the spring in the... umm... spring. I may even go to the extreme of doing Ultra's slave change. It is sad but I came to really like the clutch feel with the bad bearing and now want to replicate that.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77390
Beachin86 (02-09-2018), Ultramaroon (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #23
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Yeah my TOB is pretty well shot too and I'm trying to figure out how to get it covered under the extended Subaru Gold Plan my car has. It's going in on Tuesday morning to have the steering shaft assembly replaced under warranty and this would be a good time to get it done, car has 93k on it and the warranty ends at 100k. It only squeals when it's cold so I'm thinking I should leave it there overnight with the keys in the lock box then it will make ugly noises when they start it in the morning. Maybe, just maybe since they're already getting paid out on one warranty they'll cover a second at the same time I'd even pay them for the disk and pressure plate and maybe even resurfacing the flywheel if they'll cover the labor and put in the new TOB. I figure it's worth a try...
Record the video of the noise in the morning from multiple position of the car near engine bay, bring the tsb to them to have them do the inspection, pay the deductible of gold warranty.

I got this done july of last year.

*i had 3 videos & was able to get the service adviser to say he hear it too when i had the car there. manager said he didn't hear it but that's their job to say no first before inspection. The squeal is usually the loudest from near underneath passenger side wheel so record there too
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
Beachin86 (02-09-2018), gravitylover (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #24
Beachin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
Record the video of the noise in the morning from multiple position of the car near engine bay, bring the tsb to them to have them do the inspection, pay the deductible of gold warranty.

I got this done july of last year.

*i had 3 videos & was able to get the service adviser to say he hear it too when i had the car there. manager said he didn't hear it but that's their job to say no first before inspection. The squeal is usually the loudest from near underneath passenger side wheel so record there too
Thanks, but it's not a squeal at all or even the slight whirring/grinding noise I had before. It just sounds like two very smooth pieces of metal making contact and sliding. If you put a ring on a metallic pen and let it slide around, it sounds similar to what I was getting. But it seems to have gone away now, even on a cold start.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #25
Beachin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I am going to pull the spring in the... umm... spring. I may even go to the extreme of doing Ultra's slave change. It is sad but I came to really like the clutch feel with the bad bearing and now want to replicate that.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77390
I heard Spring is a good time for springs.

I can tell you that removing it didn't make it feel back to bad TOB days, but the feedback you get from the pedal after taking the spring out is amazing. I imagine that MTEC spring I keep hearing about would might give you what you want, but who knows. If/when I get mine, I'll let you know. Edit: It's on its way. lol

For now I say pull it out, take it for a test drive, and if you don't like it just put it back. It's an easy job and you most likely won't damage the spring at all.

Last edited by Beachin86; 02-09-2018 at 09:46 PM.
gravitylover (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #26
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I heard Spring is a good time for springs.

I can tell you that removing it didn't make it feel back to bad TOB days, but the feedback you get from the pedal after taking the spring out is amazing. I imagine that MTEC spring I keep hearing about would might give you what you want, but who knows. If/when I get mine, I'll let you know. Edit: It's on its way. lol

For now I say pull it out, take it for a test drive, and if you don't like it just put it back. It's an easy job and you most likely won't damage the spring at all.
I'm curious about that MTEC spring too. I'll be looking forward to your review.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #27
Rocketman1

Drives: Subaru 2015 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the same problem with the TOB on my 2015 BRZ. Is this covered by the 5yr powertrain warranty by any chance. I only have 30k miles on it but I am out of the 3yr/36k warranty.
Rocketman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:34 PM   #28
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1 View Post
I have the same problem with the TOB on my 2015 BRZ. Is this covered by the 5yr powertrain warranty by any chance. I only have 30k miles on it but I am out of the 3yr/36k warranty.
No. It is only covered by the general warranty.