follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #771
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Damn Ferrari has made my favorite driver decide to retire after this season.
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I read he wants to finish out the contract which is one more season after this.

After his uneventful last year at Ferrari the first time around (I remember Trulli and Fisi gave him a run for his money) I don't have much hope that his input on the next years car will bring him too much closer to Alonso and I doubt he'll stick around unless he starts having fun (winning). I'll be surprised if Ferrari kicks him to the curb after only one (expensive) year with the only guy to give them a championship in the last 10 years.

Raikkonen has been treated as someone near legend status, but objectively speaking it's closer to someone very talented, often disappointing with some flashes of sheer genius, a driver that will be lost to the history books unlike Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso.

Coincidentally I always find it funny when the commentators say "The two Ferrari champions", the past 10 years have been a bit rough for the Italians.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #772
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'll be surprised if Ferrari kicks him to the curb after only one (expensive) year with the only guy to give them a championship in the last 10 years.
To be fair, if the Ferrari chassis wasn't such a piece of garbage, Alonso would have given them at least two championships.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cfusionpm For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (07-08-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #773
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think David Hobbs illustrated my opinion of Vettel pretty damn well:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO9dMZjKi14"]Vettel's dad is going to beat up Alonso's dad - YouTube[/ame]
cfusionpm (07-07-2014), Silver Ignition (07-08-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #774
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
To be fair, if the Ferrari chassis wasn't such a piece of garbage, Alonso would have given them at least two championships.
And if Raikkonen had stayed at Mclaren one more year with either teammate or Alonso at Ferrari, Ferrari could have zero championships since 2004, if we're revising history that's much more feasible than coming up with a non-existant chassis. If memory serves Mclaren was the class of the field in '07 it was Hamilton and Alonso's infighting and one easily avoidable mistake that delivered the championship to Ferrari.

My only point is that Raikkonen is extremely capable even if he's underperforming in comparison, first year with a team rarely goes so swimmingly as '07 for Hamilton/Raikkonen or '09 Vettel. Unless a replacement shows up with a fat sack of cash to buy out the contract I think he'll ride out the next year unless he's become entirely despondent to the team. The only driver who pops to mind is Bottas but I don't get the feeling those pockets are so deep.

With plenty of capable drivers and engineers frothing at the chance for a top tier team Ferrari can buy a lot of R&D and talent with 10 million Euros...
Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #775
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
And if Raikkonen had stayed at Mclaren one more year with either teammate or Alonso at Ferrari, Ferrari could have zero championships since 2004, if we're revising history that's much more feasible than coming up with a non-existant chassis. If memory serves Mclaren was the class of the field in '07 it was Hamilton and Alonso's infighting and one easily avoidable mistake that delivered the championship to Ferrari.

My only point is that Raikkonen is extremely capable even if he's underperforming in comparison, first year with a team rarely goes so swimmingly as '07 for Hamilton/Raikkonen or '09 Vettel. Unless a replacement shows up with a fat sack of cash to buy out the contract I think he'll ride out the next year unless he's become entirely despondent to the team. The only driver who pops to mind is Bottas but I don't get the feeling those pockets are so deep.

With plenty of capable drivers and engineers frothing at the chance for a top tier team Ferrari can buy a lot of R&D and talent with 10 million Euros...
But the fault of Ferrari not winning championships isn't Alonso's fault, it's Ferrari. He's probably the most talented driver out there, at least when he's not in a top tier car, and he's shown that over and over again. Especially yesterday when he passed Vettel relatively easily, then it took Vettel something like 10+ laps with 2 DRS zones to finally get by him by late braking off the track limits.

Raikkonen is a lot like Vettel, if he's in a car he's comfortable in, he performs excellently. It requires a mix of confidence and zen. Alonso said it best when he said "I don't care what the car feels like, I just want a fast car." And he's shown plenty of times he can stay in contention with a garbage car. Imagine what he could do in a GOOD car?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #776
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
But the fault of Ferrari not winning championships isn't Alonso's fault, it's Ferrari. He's probably the most talented driver out there, at least when he's not in a top tier car, and he's shown that over and over again. Especially yesterday when he passed Vettel relatively easily, then it took Vettel something like 10+ laps with 2 DRS zones to finally get by him by late braking off the track limits.

Raikkonen is a lot like Vettel, if he's in a car he's comfortable in, he performs excellently. It requires a mix of confidence and zen. Alonso said it best when he said "I don't care what the car feels like, I just want a fast car." And he's shown plenty of times he can stay in contention with a garbage car. Imagine what he could do in a GOOD car?

I am entirely in agreement with you. I am however confused about your point, I never questioned Alonso's abilities and he is unarguably one of the top 3 drivers on the grid today and for the last 10 years.

I'm not sure how Ferrari's incapability of developing a competitive chassis recently reflects on Alonso's driving ability. If we're playing "What-ifs" then Brawn would have been punished for the double diffuser in '09 and Vettel would be a 5 time champion, Mclaren would have finished every race giving Raikkonen championships in '03 & '05, Hamilton could have been brought in one lap earlier in China '07 winning his debut season championship leaving Ferrari with no championships since 2004 and Raikkonen still championshipless. Of course giving Alonso a magically 'better' chassis in hindsight would give him better results and more championships. The same can be said for literally any driver on the grid from Chilton to Perez to Button to Hamilton and everyone in between.

Edit: except Maldonado, the fastest chassis on the grid is useless if you ball it up 25% of the time

Edit 2: I'm saying Raikkonen will likely stay next year, he's a solid driver but I'm not expecting improvement based on history, there isn't a shining star replacement that will make Ferrari money next year.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:01 AM   #777
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
I am entirely in agreement with you. I am however confused about your point, I never questioned Alonso's abilities and he is unarguably one of the top 3 drivers on the grid today and for the last 10 years.

I'm not sure how Ferrari's incapability of developing a competitive chassis recently reflects on Alonso's driving ability. If we're playing "What-ifs" then Brawn would have been punished for the double diffuser in '09 and Vettel would be a 5 time champion, Mclaren would have finished every race giving Raikkonen championships in '03 & '05, Hamilton could have been brought in one lap earlier in China '07 winning his debut season championship leaving Ferrari with no championships since 2004 and Raikkonen still championshipless. Of course giving Alonso a magically 'better' chassis in hindsight would give him better results and more championships. The same can be said for literally any driver on the grid from Chilton to Perez to Button to Hamilton and everyone in between.

Edit: except Maldonado, the fastest chassis on the grid is useless if you ball it up 25% of the time

Edit 2: I'm saying Raikkonen will likely stay next year, he's a solid driver but I'm not expecting improvement based on history, there isn't a shining star replacement that will make Ferrari money next year.
My mistake! We're on the same page, I must have read something wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfusionpm For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #778
cfusionpm

Garage
Also a thought, after all the clamouring about how this would be a boring season.... it's actually been pretty exciting so far, especially with races like England, Canada, and Bahrain. There's actually a scrap at the front instead of one person, and lots of fighting from behind Mercedes. I'm reconsidering buying tickets for Austin after the last few races, and might actually end up going.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #779
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
I sure hope so. I haven't read anything yet on how badly he was hurt in that crash on Sunday either. I bet if Kimi was in a Mercedes powered car he would be right up there battling for third each weekend. The Ferrari is probably only the 4th or 5th best chassis on the grid right now and Alonso's familiarity with it is helping him have better results as he wheels it each weekend while Kimi has been struggling to come to grips with it. Throw a Mercedes power unit in your car and your chassis matters much less
Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #780
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I sure hope so. I haven't read anything yet on how badly he was hurt in that crash on Sunday either.
Just a bruised ankle. Hobbs updated this during the race. Kimi will race the next race.
strat61caster (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #781
strat61caster
-

Quote:
I bet if Kimi was in a Mercedes powered car he would be right up there battling for third each weekend. The Ferrari is probably only the 4th or 5th best chassis on the grid right now and Alonso's familiarity with it is helping him have better results as he wheels it each weekend while Kimi has been struggling to come to grips with it. Throw a Mercedes power unit in your car and your chassis matters much less
Raikkonen's familiarity with his car also helped him win his championsh- oh wait no it didn't.

The only teams consistently capable of putting two cars in contention for 3rd are Red Bull and Williams over the past three races. I won't speculate any further on that because it's a landmine, but I will say that Raikkonen isn't fairing much better than Massa did against Alonso, sure he could pick up some pace as he settles and the season develops but all we can do is wait and see and hope it's cheaper for Ferrari to keep him next year than buy him out.

I have a hunch Ferrari will finally bring in new blood for 2016 point, between Grosjean, Bottas, Hulkenburg, a couple unexpected picks that wouldn't say no and development drivers that haven't hit the spotlight yet, Maranello has been quite stale. But what the hell do I know, we all thought they'd do it this season and then they signed a guy they already fired once before.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #782
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
This season has been rather exciting. I just wish they would give us back engines worth a damn and lay off the damn "green" initiative. This is the pinnacle of motorsports, after all. Not something meant to appease The Green Party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #783
Silver Ignition
APEXHNTR

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #1867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
This season has been rather exciting. I just wish they would give us back engines worth a damn and lay off the damn "green" initiative. This is the pinnacle of motorsports, after all. Not something meant to appease The Green Party.

You don't get more pinnacle than Turbo 1.6L V6 Hybrids that do close to 300km/hr.

Sure beats Nascar in terms of technological advancements...
#1867 of 2500

in the garage...2001 Toyota 4Runner [Solid Axle Rock Toy], 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT [Shitwagon], 2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800 [daily rider], 1978 Suzuki GS750 [Café Racer]
Silver Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #784
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post

They could fix pretty much all their "problems" by removing the fuel flow limit.

Tags
no mikey nooo, supersupermaxmax, waawaaalewis