follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Subaru BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotto View Post
There was a selection process by Subaru for this event. Since I was selected, very happily, I can tell you a little. I signed up for email updates for the BRZ on Subaru's site. I received a survey for 'what color BRZ' would you want? After sending that back I received another survey having to do with this event - which got the ball rolling to eventually getting to drive the amazing Subaru BRZ
Ahh I got that survery as well. I didn't get the second one though. Very cool!
2013 BRZ Limited- GBS - 6MT -VIN #0937
~~NYR SCCA # 18 C Street R (CSR)~~
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #30
touge-n00b
Storm Vanguard ONE

Drives: SCCA-HI CS-22 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The point I was trying to make is that the M3 wouldn't exist without the race car whereas the BRZ would exist even without the race car.

But you do bring up a great point on the M3 being essentially a souped-up 3-series. No arguing that the base cars are in different classes.
touge-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #31
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by 315FR-S View Post
kinda funny how 2 every day enthusiasts can convey how a car feels and how it makes them feel better than an automotive journalist =p
I was thinking the same thing! They did a great job and almost seemed like professional journalists. Great job guys!
2013 BRZ Limited- GBS - 6MT -VIN #0937
~~NYR SCCA # 18 C Street R (CSR)~~
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #32
DubGUy
Soon to be owner of BRZ

Drives: 2000 Ford Ranger Sport XLT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Well, my post was deleted. Guess I got a little over-zealous.

I think it's fair to argue the BRZ/86 are even more pure in design considering the E30 M3 was a modified version of the standard entry-level BMW sedan, whereas the BRZ/86 are purpose-built sports cars. To say that the E30 M3 is a race car made into a street car is only half true. Like most homologation specials, it started life as a street car before being turned into a race car, and then tamed back into a street car. Not to say the E30 3 series was a slouch; I had one and it was rather sporting.

This:

Then this:

Then this:

vs. this:

Then this:

Then who knows? STi version?
Skeettastic!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #33
TPO

Drives: Scion fr-s,Lexus is250,4-runner
Garage
Can't wait for mine
TPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #34
DeepHunta

Drives: '05 Outback Wgn, '05 Lotus Elise
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
my excitement level is now at 120%. It was at 100%, but after watching real reviews by real people and not journalists, oh man!

Where the heck is my GBS!? All you WRB and SWP are super lucky! Super jealous. I have no idea how much mileage I'm gonna put on that car as soon as I drive off the lot. What's the total distance from Seattle to New York?
Proud ex-owner of GBS 6MT BRZ Limited. Pre-ordered on Feb-29-2012, got VIN on 5/19 with ETA 6/6, arrived early on 6/2, but still didn't pick it up until Jun-6-2012. Recently sold the Buuurz as of 4/21/2014
DeepHunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #35
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 315FR-S View Post
kinda funny how 2 every day enthusiasts can convey how a car feels and how it makes them feel better than an automotive journalist =p
Yeah, it's like reading, or listening to movie critics' reviews, sometimes I just rather pay no attention to them... and see for yourself.
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #36
scotto

Drives: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon 5MT Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubGUy View Post
Not to ruin everything, but I already saw this yesterday. Other than that, congrats to both drivers, hopefully you both fully enjoyed it I saw both expressions on the Premium and Limited. All I got to do is just wait for mine to come in. Patience is a virtue.
Good point on both Premium and Limited being featured in the video.

At the end Alex preferred the Premium he drove because it had everything he needed and nothing more. (Red BRZ)

I really liked the WRB Limited I drove. I liked the Start Button, the cool row of switches below the climate controls, and the Alcantara held me in the seat very nicely, though usually I prefer cloth seats for comfort and grippy-ness.

It may have been that we had just really bonded with the cars we drove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
toyota/scion dropped the big cash and flew 50+ people to Long Beach, wine and dine, 4 days. subaru invited 2 people to drive to the shoot location, no wine no dine no bell no whistle.

result? same off the chart excitement.

lesson learned: the car is just that damn good, it sells itself. . congrats scotto.
Thanks! The catering I have to admit was tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaVI View Post
Welcome. Glad to see one of the forum members put his input about the BRZ. Great job.
Thanks very much. I've been following the FT86 development inch by inch, and even before that the Prodrive P2 looked like a promising inspiration for Subaru. The Toyota and Subaru collaboration is magical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by touge-n00b View Post
Yes I'm even more inclined to be swayed toward his opinion due to the fact that I now know he owns an E30. But in my mind the E30 is and always will be a homologation special that only exists because BMW wanted to race Mercedes.

I see where the similiarities are between the two cars, but the E30 wasn't designed to be a road car that could be competent on a track, the E30 was built to be a race car competent for the road. Two different philosophies (comparded to the BRZ/FR-S) that just so happened to meet in the middle.

Scotto, thanks for the little tidbit on the other guy owing an E30.
Anytime!
scotto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotto For This Useful Post:
DubGUy (05-22-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #37
scotto

Great pics turbowned! The last one is really funny!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #38
scotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC BRZ View Post
I was thinking the same thing! They did a great job and almost seemed like professional journalists. Great job guys!
Thanks so much It was an honor, and I felt a responsibility to do my best to convey my experiences both for Subaru since they picked me, and especially for any enthusiast who would watch the video. Alex and I were both expecting the BRZ to be good, but how good it actually was, was surprising to us both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepHunta View Post
my excitement level is now at 120%. It was at 100%, but after watching real reviews by real people and not journalists, oh man!

Where the heck is my GBS!? All you WRB and SWP are super lucky! Super jealous. I have no idea how much mileage I'm gonna put on that car as soon as I drive off the lot. What's the total distance from Seattle to New York?
BRZ + twisty road = heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
Yeah, it's like reading, or listening to movie critics' reviews, sometimes I just rather pay no attention to them... and see for yourself.
I got one of the first WRX's when they first came out. I was all over every review. I emailed back and forth with one nice reviewer several times.. Still to drive it yourself is your own experience which there is no substitute for. I'm smitten by the BRZ having driven it though. My WRX is a great car. It's modded to my specific taste, and still the BRZ killed it in resolution of driving involvement, feedback, and directness of input response. The only time I've felt anything like that in the WRX was at a track day. There is just a deeper connection with the road, the car, and the experience in the BRZ by far. My WRX even carefully modded feels like skimming over the road by comparison if that makes sense.
YukiHachiRoku (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #39
Metabrz
001 of 012

Drives: MY12 NZDM Subaru BRZ "BRZ001"
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I love the comparison to the E30.

My family has been mad on BMW's forever, it's all I grew up with as my dad has a major boner for them. I'm kinda take it or leave it but the E30 is the car that opened my eyes when I was a kid.

Im more a JDM kinda guy and that comparison floats my boat for sure.

It's a long wait to December.....
Metabrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #40
scotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabrz View Post
I love the comparison to the E30.

My family has been mad on BMW's forever, it's all I grew up with as my dad has a major boner for them. I'm kinda take it or leave it but the E30 is the car that opened my eyes when I was a kid.

Im more a JDM kinda guy and that comparison floats my boat for sure.

It's a long wait to December.....
That's a great point Metabrz about cars that open your eyes when you're a kid! I'll date myself, but the first car that I fell for was the early 60's Corvette. It just looked so mean and purposeful, strong and determined, yet the styling was quite aero dynamic for the time.

My first taste of good handling as a teenager was getting to drive a BMW 2002. All the American cars I drove, our big v8 family cars I likened to 'boats' No offense, but they were heavy, rolly, ungainly. I remembered laughing at Cadillacs of the day because when they came to a stop the car wiggled every which way on their suspension - whacky! The 2002 was composed on it's suspension, it was light and nimble, the steering was direct by comparison, it had a manual - Yes! - , and it seemed to carve through a corner - it was so much more rewarding to drive! This car opened my eyes for sure!

Cars have improved so much over the years! In GT5 on the PS3 I tried a 2002 on the Nurbergring.. and it felt rolly, unsettled, and slow... In it's day the 2002 was a revelation, as I'm sure the 911's were.
Today, I see the BRZ in the same kind of light, a revelation!

Congrats on your decision!

Last edited by scotto; 05-18-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: clarity
Metabrz (05-19-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #41
DubGUy
Soon to be owner of BRZ

Drives: 2000 Ford Ranger Sport XLT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotto View Post
Good point on both Premium and Limited being featured in the video.

At the end Alex preferred the Premium he drove because it had everything he needed and nothing more. (Red BRZ)

I really liked the WRB Limited I drove. I liked the Start Button, the cool row of switches below the climate controls, and the Alcantara held me in the seat very nicely, though usually I prefer cloth seats for comfort and grippy-ness.

It may have been that we had just really bonded with the cars we drove!

Thanks! The catering I have to admit was tasty

Thanks very much. I've been following the FT86 development inch by inch, and even before that the Prodrive P2 looked like a promising inspiration for Subaru. The Toyota and Subaru collaboration is magical!

Anytime!
That's exactly why I also got mine as a Limited, push button start on a 6 speed manual!? That's new to me, plus those switches on the automatic climate control look like some switches to activate something cool. The rear spoiler I like (even though I saw some on Pontiac cars I still like it.) Other than that it's the car that I have been waiting for. It was either this, or maybe an LFA? LOL!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #42
scotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubGUy View Post
That's exactly why I also got mine as a Limited, push button start on a 6 speed manual!? That's new to me, plus those switches on the automatic climate control look like some switches to activate something cool. The rear spoiler I like (even though I saw some on Pontiac cars I still like it.) Other than that it's the car that I have been waiting for. It was either this, or maybe an LFA? LOL!
:happy0180:

I like the spoiler, though not everyone does... gives you a slight aero improvement . .01 I think!

What color are you getting?

Congrats!

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, brz review, brz reviews, subaru brz, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz review, subaru brz reviews