follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
ShackontheTarget

Drives: GT86 Aero
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engine whistle between 2-2.5K RPM

Hi,

As the title says, I've noticed for the first time today that the engine, or so I presume, makes a light whistling noise when I'm between 2000 and 2500 RPM. It happens in all gears and idle. I've had the car for 5 months now, from new, first time I've encountered this. I could actually hear it whistle a little bit when I started it up, on cold idle.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks... and sorry if this has been covered somewhere before, couldnt find anything with a quick search.
ShackontheTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
peep my signature about how to search this site more efficiently... in a nutshell,

1. Go to Google.com
2. Type in some key search terms relating to your query, followed by the following verbatim:

site:ft86club.com

What this does is specifically target searches within that domain, and all subdomains therein. The default search feature stock on the site sucks.

There's a lot of cool things one can do with google using their operators.. this one is by far the easiet and most relavent for most looking to parse a domain for info, though.

--

As far as your noise is concerned... this may be nothing, or it may be everything. Given what you describe, nobody can reasonably give you an answer to why your system is experiencing this noise. It would help to get a video up if you can replicate and capture the event taking place
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
ShackontheTarget

Drives: GT86 Aero
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the search tips Koa.

I found out what it was, so silly. The silencer on the left exhaust tip had dislodged a bit, letting air through a gap I guess, between it and the tip's sidewall. Started up the car after 1hr "cool down", and the silencer was rattling a lot. Did some tests runs with and without them afterwards, no problems. I can sleep tonight.
ShackontheTarget is offline   Reply With Quote