follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Whiteline Com-c top mounts

I did a search but couldn't find it.

I remember reading some people having big problems with these? Clunking sounds etc. Is this still the case?
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,831 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I talked to the Whiteline North America rep a while back. It was a limited number of units, all of which will be covered under warranty. They stopped production to eliminate the problem.

I've got a set on order, and I'll be posting my experiences once I get them installed.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
Mo707 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Turn in Concepts

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
We had some problems with them back a year ago or so, but they seem to be better since.

Tony
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Smudgeous

Drives: 2013 WRB 6MT BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn in Concepts View Post
We had some problems with them back a year ago or so, but they seem to be better since.

Tony
I've had 2 sets both result in the same issues. The second pair was double-checked that nothing was wrong before installing them (no notchiness, bearings spun fine), but after driving around on them for awhile, I got the same issues with the car making a lot of clunking while turning the wheel.

For the record, the first ones I got were in August, with the replacements in mid September. Unfortunately during installation the second time, I let the wife help out with the re-tightening of the strut bolts with my torque wrench, with the result basically the same as Cobrabyte's recent post

I suppose I could always try to contact Whiteline about it since it's still a problem that happened regardless of the shearing of the bolt, but I'm not sure whether I want to try a third time or just call it quits and throw back on the stockers..
Smudgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Smudgeous

Drives: 2013 WRB 6MT BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
As a follow-up to my last post, I just got off the phone with Jan, who told me that they did have a bad batch of bearings from their last manufacturing run that they're aware of and trying to rectify. He said they're currently expecting a replacement batch in around the end of February, and already had my name down on a list of people who'd called in with problems. They'll be working on getting everyone replacement (or in my case, replacement replacement) Com Cs around the beginning of March.

For those curious of my own plight, he additionally told me that my sheared bolt would not be a problem, and that I can still return them once I receive the new ones.
Smudgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smudgeous For This Useful Post:
Calum (01-16-2013), whataboutbob (01-16-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudgeous View Post
As a follow-up to my last post, I just got off the phone with Jan, who told me that they did have a bad batch of bearings from their last manufacturing run that they're aware of and trying to rectify. He said they're currently expecting a replacement batch in around the end of February, and already had my name down on a list of people who'd called in with problems. They'll be working on getting everyone replacement (or in my case, replacement replacement) Com Cs around the beginning of March.

For those curious of my own plight, he additionally told me that my sheared bolt would not be a problem, and that I can still return them once I receive the new ones.

That is my understanding as well, I've been emailing Jan back and forth myself awaiting the upcoming solution. Right now I'm still running the stock top mounts. I have a brand new set of com-c's that they sent me sitting around and I will send them back once the replacements get in. Jan assured me that it would be a complimentary replacement, which I appreciate.

Here is my post explaining the issue with the top mounts: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=175
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Any update on these from Whiteline? Would love to get these new revised ones on the car!
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Bump for update. Anyone talk to Jan from WL-US?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
I've inquired with a couple vendors about the top hats. Everyone seems to say the new batch should be available ~ march.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Bump for update. Anyone talk to Jan from WL-US?
Yep. A couple weeks ago I heard mid march.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
Turn in Concepts

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I've been watching, and they are out of stock everywhere (or at least all the common places).
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Just got an email from Jan @ Whiteline US. The new batch of top mounts are in and should be shipping out now to warranty customers.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-05-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

FINALLY received my warranty replacement Whiteline Com-C top mounts. My originals were removed after one day of rattle & pop filled driving due to bad bearings and/or suspension geometry. I took some comparison photos of the new vs old top mounts to show what's different in this run that will hopefully solve the issues with deforming rubber around the bearings when turning, and some folks had clunking noises too

Bottom side comparison, you can clearly see a different bearing insert in the middle, not much else different

New top side includes some dust covers.

Without the dust covers on top. Note the different inner bearings on top

This is where I'm still concerned about these. In my experience with the original Com-C's, over every slight bump or deviation, I could hear the upper spring perches colliding with the collar around the bottom of the top mounts, circled below in blue. I presumed this was due to bad geometry due to the lack of a conical washer on the upper spring perch on the BRZ; we have a welded flat washer, unlike the WRX which uses a separate conical washer to ensure proper mating with the inner bearing at the increased negative camber angles. When I removed the original Com-C's to swap back to stock, my upper spring perches had marks all over them from colliding with the collar on the bottom of the Com-C's. They were installed exactly as instructed and spun freely around the strut before installing back into the car.

The new top mounts have the exact same collar depth, which has me concerned about them. I will be emailing my concerns and findings to Jan at Whiteline-US and try to get more info about what has changed in this new batch to prevent contact between the bottom collar of the Com-C's and the upper spring perch.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 03-12-2013 at 11:55 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (03-22-2013), Calum (03-14-2013), enjoyminutemaid (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Jan @ Whiteline US responded to my inquiry

Quote:
The durometer of the rubber has been stepped up to reduce deflection under load.

The top hats have been road tested on cars in Australia, with zero problems to date.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-14-2013), enjoyminutemaid (03-14-2013)