follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #2367
Hanni_0176

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
You need the system to be on for the drag reduction when not on full power.
Understandable, but that's not what I was getting at. What I meant was that I think the On/Off switch is a bit pointless, considering you have to go WOT to engage the ESC anyway. The system should be constantly 'On' while the car is running. The only point I can see to the On/Off switch is if someone wants to go WOT without the ESC kicking in... but the only situation I can think of where I'd ever want to do that would be during an extended track session, after the batteries on the ESC are drained, and only until they are charged back up enough to get back on the ESC. The again... that in and of itself does seem to make the On/Off switch have some value, so I take back my previous statements. Please disregard my complaint(s) and carry on.
Hanni_0176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #2368
Hanni_0176

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI View Post
It was just an example but yeah I agree. I also see where full throttle clearly must be used to make a serious pass or merge. However, my foot is planted on the floor maybe just a few times a month. If I was going to throw down $1600, ide really like to experience it before purchase somehow, or hopefully have some other form of use other than just WOT.
Just my #1 concern atm and lookin for some knowledge
Sounds to me like you need to mash down on the pedal more often :P

If you daily drive the car in a way that you rarely go full throttle and don't exceed the speed limit, why would you be worried about having more power? This car has more than an adequate amount of power in stock form for daily driving. The people who complain about being unable to pass minivans while merging onto the highway are either ignorant and/or do not know how to drive the car, or are exaggerating for the sake of complaining.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #2369
Hanni_0176

Oh, and also.

VTEC just kicked in yo
Old 10-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #2370
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey beta testers,

I got an interesting thing for you. For the last 24 hrs I haven't gotten a single engine code, and I can tell you sometimes I haven't followed the 3500 rpm recommended activation. I'm wondering if the reason this is occurring is because of the snorkel. (I removed mine) Am I just getting lucky here, or is it helping?

By the way I'm still not running the tune.
I popped a code almost immediately before i was tuned.

Which snorkel did you remove? The directions called for the removal of the sound tube and air resonator attached to the side of the airbox. I'm having trouble visualizing a snorkel.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #2371
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
You need the system to be on for the drag reduction. This helps supply power when not on full throttle.
Drag Reduction doesn't add power at partial throttle, it keeps the compressor wheel from being a restriction. When DR is running properly, you don't know it's there (unless you notice the flicker of the volt meter).

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #2372
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I think he should add blowing the tube before install as a step.
All I can think of right now is a cartoon from the days when Air Jordan sneakers first came out. A cheerleader is on her knees in front of a basketball player and is asking, "are you sure this is how to inflate these sneakers?"
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #2373
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
I popped a code almost immediately before i was tuned.

Which snorkel did you remove? The directions called for the removal of the sound tube and air resonator attached to the side of the airbox. I'm having trouble visualizing a snorkel.
The snorkel is the tube right behind the bumper it feeds "cold air" into the intake.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #2374
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
Drag Reduction doesn't add power at partial throttle, it keeps the compressor wheel from being a restriction. When DR is running properly, you don't know it's there (unless you notice the flicker of the volt meter).
Well by power I meant air, since "air, fuel, and spark = boom." Not enough air reduces power. But I understand what you meant.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 10-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #2375
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
All I can think of right now is a cartoon from the days when Air Jordan sneakers first came out. A cheerleader is on her knees in front of a basketball player and is asking, "are you sure this is how to inflate these sneakers?"
Yeah I wish that happened while I was working on the compressor.

Installed Mods:
Old 10-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #2376
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey beta testers,

I got an interesting thing for you. For the last 24 hrs I haven't gotten a single engine code, and I can tell you sometimes I haven't followed the 3500 rpm recommended activation. I'm wondering if the reason this is occurring is because of the snorkel. (I removed mine) Am I just getting lucky here, or is it helping?

By the way I'm still not running the tune.
All the tubes are tight? If you turn the car to ON(not running), hit the on switch, and then go wot do you hear the unit start up? That tripped the code for me every time. Don't stand on the pedal for to long but a couple seconds is okay just to hear the dc motor start up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #2377
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni_0176 View Post
Understandable, but that's not what I was getting at. What I meant was that I think the On/Off switch is a bit pointless, considering you have to go WOT to engage the ESC anyway. The system should be constantly 'On' while the car is running. The only point I can see to the On/Off switch is if someone wants to go WOT without the ESC kicking in... but the only situation I can think of where I'd ever want to do that would be during an extended track session, after the batteries on the ESC are drained, and only until they are charged back up enough to get back on the ESC. The again... that in and of itself does seem to make the On/Off switch have some value, so I take back my previous statements. Please disregard my complaint(s) and carry on.
The only time you would want it off is if something went wrong and it went 100 percent throttle or something. Then you want to be able to manually cut the power from the unit. The battery doesn't charge when it is off so your second use case doesn't apply at the track.

Thanks for all the questions BTW everyone... Keep them coming

fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #2378
Thatruth2001

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
The snorkel is the tube right behind the bumper it feeds "cold air" into the intake.
You will eventually throw the CEL. It is only a matter of time. I have the Perrin intake installed. Alternatively you may or may not be on to something. Interested to see if it pops in the next day or so.
Thatruth2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #2379
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
All the tubes are tight? If you turn the car to ON(not running), hit the on switch, and then go wot do you hear the unit start up? That tripped the code for me every time. Don't stand on the pedal for to long but a couple seconds is okay just to hear the dc motor start up.

Wouldn't the engine light be on if the car isn't running? Also all connections were tripled checked yesterday during the setback.

Installed Mods:
Old 10-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #2380
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Wouldn't the engine light be on if the car isn't running?
I'm at my car right now. Let's get this code triggered. Tell me what to do.

Installed Mods:

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive