follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
alfredoxdiaz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Buying a WideBody BRZ

what does the community think about buying a used BRZ with a wide body already installed + most of the mods I already planned on purchasing?

Is it weird or against car culture to not build the car yourself? I myself have mixed feelings toward it but it is a beautiful car, what do you guys think?
alfredoxdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
CB750F

Drives: 2015 BRZ WRB
Ha! Widebody, i don't like.

I would think "car culture" woulds spit on it.

Having said that, who cares, do you like it? Is it well done?
Bring it to a shop that does this & get it inspected.

If you like it, there is no issue, buy it.

Do what you like, forget what others think, it's your life, write your own book, don't
live by what others think or say, do your own investigation.

Enjoy the car & don't put others in danger, or yourself.
CB750F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CB750F For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Buying a WideBody BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredoxdiaz View Post
what does the community think about buying a used BRZ with a wide body already installed + most of the mods I already planned on purchasing?

Is it weird or against car culture to not build the car yourself? I myself have mixed feelings toward it but it is a beautiful car, what do you guys think?

I'll give you my personal experience buying an already modified car.

A few years ago I bought a BMW E46 performance package 330i (ZHP). It was very tastefully modded. Full Dinan stage 3 power mods (intake, TB, tune, exhaust), eibachs on Koni yellows, stoptech brakes, CSL wheels, audio upgrades, interior pieces, full Euro lights/side marker set, CF mirrors/splitters/diffuser. The works, and every mod was done properly. It was a beautiful car.

But I sold it a year later. It never felt like my car. Even after redoing the suspension and a couple more mods of my own. It always felt like I was borrowing someone else's car, and I was never able to bond with it. I sold it and haven't looked back since. With all my other cars I went through a period where I wish I didn't sell them. Not this one.

Your mileage may vary, but that's my experience.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
FRSapex (04-28-2018), re-animator (05-01-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
alfredoxdiaz

thanks for the replies! definitely going to have to think this one over, I want to feel as connected to my car as possible
alfredoxdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alfredoxdiaz For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,325 Times in 7,383 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
The "built not bought" attitude is dumb. You just have the justify what the cost savings of buying an already built car is worth over your feeling of attachment to it. Kinda like that girl you are not really physically attracted to but has a good personality.

I have spent about double to build my 4Runner, then I could have bought one for. Still hasn't run in 4 years
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (04-30-2018), Dake (04-28-2018), NAEightySix (04-28-2018), RallySport (04-29-2018), RToyo86 (04-28-2018), Tcoat (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
True but also consider why do you think the owner is selling? What's that saying about a beautiful girl someone is tired of?

Grass is always greener.

A built car may well be a good buy. But if you are not sure the seller is credible or the history is unknown, it might not be a good buy.

Have a good test drive a thorough inspection before buying a heavily modified car. If the buyer is not keen to that you should probably walk away.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
yurikaze

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS (CBS), AE86 GT-S, MA70
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I bought my AE86 with full suspension and JDM bumpers. But it was missing an interior and was rattle canned matte beige. The mods it had were things I had planned on doing anyway, and I still was able to make it mine with paint, interior, and completing the JDM conversion. If the widebody is something you want to do anyway, I say go for it, it saves work and money if a mod you wanted comes with the car.
yurikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yurikaze For This Useful Post:
Spuds (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I guess it's no different than anything else, but it's a shame "car culture" insists on being so clique -ey.

I can't play the piano, so is it "cheating" for me to buy an album where someone else plays the piano?

I'm a marginal cook. Am I a poseur because I occasionally opt to go to a nice restaurant?

As long as I don't buy the album and tell people I recorded it. Or go to the steak house and claim to be the chef, it's reasonable. The same should be true for us. Many out there appreciate a good car with specific mods but don't have the time or ability to build it ourselves.

So, if the mods are done well, you can trust the builder, and they match what you were wanting - why not? If someone is going to be a douche canoe and sincerely hassle you because you didn't bust your own knuckles, then they've indicated their opinion isn't useful.

I don't know why we can't all support each other.

...except for coal-rolling, bro-dozer drivers. Eff those guys.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
HKz (04-28-2018), Impureclient (04-28-2018), Spuds (04-28-2018), Tcoat (04-28-2018), Yoshoobaroo (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 11:39 AM   #9
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Main concern i'd look into is making sure the kit was installed correctly. Lots of horror stories of those kits being just tossed onto the car and the paint not being worked with correctly so it just rusts to shit underneath.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (04-28-2018), Tcoat (04-28-2018), Yoshoobaroo (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #10
arxm

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2023 BRZ
well you save money buying a car with what you want done being already done but agreed it might not feel like its your car, if you get a good price and the cars been done nicely I would say to go for it but thats my personal opinion

2023 Ignition Red BRZ 6MT awaiting boost
arxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:04 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
I guess it's no different than anything else, but it's a shame "car culture" insists on being so clique -ey.

I can't play the piano, so is it "cheating" for me to buy an album where someone else plays the piano?

I'm a marginal cook. Am I a poseur because I occasionally opt to go to a nice restaurant?

As long as I don't buy the album and tell people I recorded it. Or go to the steak house and claim to be the chef, it's reasonable. The same should be true for us. Many out there appreciate a good car with specific mods but don't have the time or ability to build it ourselves.

So, if the mods are done well, you can trust the builder, and they match what you were wanting - why not? If someone is going to be a douche canoe and sincerely hassle you because you didn't bust your own knuckles, then they've indicated their opinion isn't useful.

I don't know why we can't all support each other.

...except for coal-rolling, bro-dozer drivers. Eff those guys.
This ^
I always enjoy the group that mod their cars then tell everybody not to buy modded cars because they are not your own work. Nothing wrong with wanting the end product without the work.

As far as quality of work goes there are guys with heavily modded cars that I would buy in a heartbeat. There are also ones that are almost bone stock that I wouldn't touch if you paid me. So many people feel their work is perfect and nobody else can do it right which is human nature but not reality. If a good inspection shows no issues or signs of sloppy work then the risk of a problem coming up really are no greater than any other car.

It is not strange for people to do big projects and then when it is done they get bored and sell it off. For many it is the act of modding that they enjoy not the end product. These projects can sometimes be the Best Buy of all since there is frequently more care put into them.
bcj (04-28-2018), Dake (04-30-2018), JD001 (04-28-2018), RToyo86 (04-28-2018), Spuds (04-28-2018), Yoshoobaroo (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #12
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,132 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I've never bought modified, mostly because I don't trust most people that modify cars. Custom sourced modification has zero standard, and without any standard you have no idea what you are getting your self into.

If you know the person and/or have a good understanding of the car prior then that is a different story.

That being said if you or somebody you know has intimate understanding of the 86 platform, it's simply a matter of determining whether the car is put together correctly or not via a inspection. Assuming it has been, and the car is modified how you intended to modify it, to me that it a no brainer. Financially you are coming out ahead.

Those who prefer the satisfaction of DIY accept that they won't get those thousands of dollars back during modification. All things to consider.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:38 PM   #13
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Just my two cent:
There is a reason why they are selling a modded car. 8/10 times you are buying someone else's headache.

If it was me I'll run far away from it. Something is fucked with it.

Then again, it's up to you to check the car over. If it's all good and you don't have any doubts after the test drive then it's your call.

It's your money, your car. All we can do is either point and laugh or give you the nood or a thumbs up.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #14
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,818 Times in 16,426 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredoxdiaz View Post

Hello alfredoxdiaz and welcome to our forum ......

Yep, I reckon that choice is totally up to you.

If the car looks and drives to be sound ...... it would be a quick way to getting what you want.

If you buy a "base" model and plan on doing all the modifications yourself, there is a chance that you will run out of money, energy or ambition before you get it to where you want it.

Your call .......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, widebody