follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #1
Devante
Crescent fresh at best.

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S - Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2016 Head Unit Question / Discussion

Posting this because I had a question but also feel free to talk about the new head unit.

My question is that I have a Note 4 and one time I connected it to the unit and it had a browse button that let me browse through my phone's library by artist, song, or album.

That was one time. I've never been able to get that browse button to appear again.

Also, I have album art for pretty much ever song. But some of my Thin Lizzy songs show album art that I didn't put for the song. It's like this group photo of them instead of the album cover embedded in the song. Where is it getting this photo and how to I get it to show my actual artwork?

Thanks!

Some things I noticed that I don't like:

One thing about the browsing that kind of sucked was that it doesn't let you type in the first couple of letters of what you want and jump to it, nor does it let you drag the slider down the side.

It has no screen auto-off.

Can't directly touch where you want to jump in the song progress bar.

Little things aside, it seems like a step up from last year's model.
Devante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
Datcrazyeric
gotta go slower

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Once we PDI the 2016 we have in stock I'll check it out for you if I get a chance.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Try unpairing and repairing. I wish a user manual came with it, I can't even find one on Pioneers site and nothing in my manual or in the manual case.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Devante
Crescent fresh at best.

There's an option that basically says pair device from vehicle or pair device from phone.
I've selected both. Will mess with it some more and report back.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
Datcrazyeric
gotta go slower

Drives: 2014 FR-S
http://www.scion.com/audio/

Download the PDF and see if that helps
stevesnj (07-31-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
PatSciFRS

Drives: Scion FRS 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devante View Post
Posting this because I had a question but also feel free to talk about the new head unit.

My question is that I have a Note 4 and one time I connected it to the unit and it had a browse button that let me browse through my phone's library by artist, song, or album.

That was one time. I've never been able to get that browse button to appear again.

Also, I have album art for pretty much ever song. But some of my Thin Lizzy songs show album art that I didn't put for the song. It's like this group photo of them instead of the album cover embedded in the song. Where is it getting this photo and how to I get it to show my actual artwork?

Thanks!

Some things I noticed that I don't like:

One thing about the browsing that kind of sucked was that it doesn't let you type in the first couple of letters of what you want and jump to it, nor does it let you drag the slider down the side.

It has no screen auto-off.

Can't directly touch where you want to jump in the song progress bar.

Little things aside, it seems like a step up from last year's model.
For the song list browsing to work, you need to hook up your Note 4 using a data USB cable and set the audio source to USB.
PatSciFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
Devante
Crescent fresh at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSciFRS View Post
For the song list browsing to work, you need to hook up your Note 4 using a data USB cable and set the audio source to USB.
But... It already worked without using a cable at all. In fact, I haven't even lifted up that little USB flap yet.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
Devante
Crescent fresh at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datcrazyeric View Post
http://www.scion.com/audio/

Download the PDF and see if that helps
Thanks!
Just read through it and it doesn't mention anything about hooking it up one way or another to get the browse button to show up. :/
Old 07-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #9
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I have a similar but unrelated problem with the 2014 BeSpoke unit in mine (swapped out the original 2013 base unit). With an iPod plugged in, if I go to Browse/Songs, it lists the songs in alphabetical order, but by Artist/Album/Song. I want it to just list the bloody things by song title. It even has the guide at the bottom to jump between letters of the alphabet, but that jumps by artist, not by song title.

Very aggravating because I typically listen to music by starting with the 1st song, and playing all the way through my entire collection in alphabetical order (gives you the effect of random, without the repeats). I ended up having to create a playlist.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
Devante
Crescent fresh at best.

Dude it just happened again when I got in my car! It connected, said browse, I clicked on browse and started going through songs, then it kind of went back to the main audio screen and the browse button was gone.

Also, when I touch the album art, it doesn't show me a list of songs queued up.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #11
Devante
Crescent fresh at best.

So I figured out the browse button situation.

I use PowerAmp for my music.

I decided to test using the built in music player app and as long as I use that, the browse button appears.
The Following User Says Thank You to Devante For This Useful Post:
RustySocket (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #12
RustySocket
Slow Learner

Drives: 15 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I like it when people post the solution after they figured it out.
RustySocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:37 AM   #13
Astral Abyss

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S
I'll never like a device that forces me to sort via ID3 tags instead of folders. I had to go through all my music, I have over 500 albums, and fix a lot of tags that never were a problem with my JVC in my last car. Call me anal, but when all my bands that begin with "The" get lumped together, I get annoyed. And artists should be sorted by last name. Especially when literally every other device and program reads them that way, including Foobar, my main PC program, except this Pioneer unit. Seriously?

The best part is that after I did all that and plugged my 64GB USB card back in, it takes over 15 minutes to update and recreate the catalogue. And if i add another album... Another 15 minutes. I can't do anything in the interim... Just watch the spinning wheel and wait. Like I said, I have a lot of music. The JVC didn't use ID3 tags so it could load in about 15 seconds.

Also, if you just change the tags and don't delete\add something to force a media update, it doesn't actually recreate the catalogue so none of your changes take effect.

As Devante noted, it has issues with album art. Seems to like a separate jpg and not integrated into the song. That's great. I guess I'll get to add jpegs to 300+ albums now since I stopped doing that a couple years ago since EVERYTHING else can read it from the song itself. Disappointing really.

I'm ridiculously anal about my music. I will force this thing to sort and play my music correctly if it kills me.
Astral Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:49 AM   #14
Devante
Crescent fresh at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Abyss View Post
I'll never like a device that forces me to sort via ID3 tags instead of folders. I had to go through all my music, I have over 500 albums, and fix a lot of tags that never were a problem with my JVC in my last car. Call me anal, but when all my bands that begin with "The" get lumped together, I get annoyed. And artists should be sorted by last name. Especially when literally every other device and program reads them that way, including Foobar, my main PC program, except this Pioneer unit. Seriously?

The best part is that after I did all that and plugged my 64GB USB card back in, it takes over 15 minutes to update and recreate the catalogue. And if i add another album... Another 15 minutes. I can't do anything in the interim... Just watch the spinning wheel and wait. Like I said, I have a lot of music. The JVC didn't use ID3 tags so it could load in about 15 seconds.

Also, if you just change the tags and don't delete\add something to force a media update, it doesn't actually recreate the catalogue so none of your changes take effect.

As Devante noted, it has issues with album art. Seems to like a separate jpg and not integrated into the song. That's great. I guess I'll get to add jpegs to 300+ albums now since I stopped doing that a couple years ago since EVERYTHING else can read it from the song itself. Disappointing really.

I'm ridiculously anal about my music. I will force this thing to sort and play my music correctly if it kills me.
Well the weird thing about the album art is some songs have the right art, some songs from the same album show a group picture it got on its own, and some don't show the art at all.