follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #99
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
On Gen's doors it looks like there is perforated alcantara... wonder what the dash pieces would look like perforated instead. Just not a fan of the alcantara covered dash pieces like in the pics above, but perforations might change my mind..
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #100
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
On Gen's doors it looks like there is perforated alcantara... wonder what the dash pieces would look like perforated instead. Just not a fan of the alcantara covered dash pieces like in the pics above, but perforations might change my mind..
They are perforated and I don't think they would have a problem wrapping the dash trim with perforated Alcantara, but I'll let them answer that...
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #101
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM Coachworks View Post
@cslntuee I do not believe so, but we could add a pen/utility strap to the visor, similar to the WRX/STi visor.

@Shimmyshake We are exploring the option of an additional charge to remove the embroidery. I cannot tell you yet if that will be an option moving forward.
You should be paying us to have that logo on there, it's advertising!

Seriously though, I'd buy a LOT of these parts if they were cheaper. But would never pay 10/piece for a different thread, though I would love to have a nice dark blue throughout.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #102
Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post
You should be paying us to have that logo on there, it's advertising!

Seriously though, I'd buy a LOT of these parts if they were cheaper. But would never pay 10/piece for a different thread, though I would love to have a nice dark blue throughout.
Honestly, the only way I could see them getting the price lower is if they switched to a lower grade material. Alcantara and Leather are not cheap materials... You could go with someone like Redline which is a bit cheaper, but the stitching will be crooked and you have to install it yourself. That's worth $50 in my book. They are significantly less expensive than local shops for me and do much better work.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #103
michaelahess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
Honestly, the only way I could see them getting the price lower is if they switched to a lower grade material. Alcantara and Leather are not cheap materials... You could go with someone like Redline which is a bit cheaper, but the stitching will be crooked and you have to install it yourself. That's worth $50 in my book. They are significantly less expensive than local shops for me and do much better work.
I'd take the bits cutout and stitched and then just glue them on myself if it would be a good chunk of cost savings. Which I'd think it would be since they don't need to buy the new parts. Or do the single most labor intense part of this. The trade in deal isn't worth it after you factor in shipping so that's a non starter to bring down costs.

Why charge more for the color of thread? Thread is the same price. I doubt they run these on automated machines as they'd be cheaper to begin with, so doing a production run with one color or another is a simple affair I'd think.

I worked in a sewing shop for a short time when I was younger and they had 20 or so automated stitching machines that would all produce the same thing at once, that's about as automated as these things can get. So cut die's, cut the pieces, put them on the machine(s), then manually wrap.

Guess I'm just used to the Chinese child labor factories, stupid world economy....
Old 05-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #104
Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post
I'd take the bits cutout and stitched and then just glue them on myself if it would be a good chunk of cost savings. Which I'd think it would be since they don't need to buy the new parts. Or do the single most labor intense part of this. The trade in deal isn't worth it after you factor in shipping so that's a non starter to bring down costs.

Why charge more for the color of thread? Thread is the same price. I doubt they run these on automated machines as they'd be cheaper to begin with, so doing a production run with one color or another is a simple affair I'd think.

I worked in a sewing shop for a short time when I was younger and they had 20 or so automated stitching machines that would all produce the same thing at once, that's about as automated as these things can get. So cut die's, cut the pieces, put them on the machine(s), then manually wrap.

Guess I'm just used to the Chinese child labor factories, stupid world economy....
I don't believe they charge more for a different color stitching. That's news to me if they do.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #105
michaelahess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy
Sorry, this is not really the place... But WOULD you guys make pieces with a thread color other than red? Im trying to do away with the red stuff going on with this car...
@Fancy All of our products can be customized with any available thread color or material color for an additional charge. Typically, it is an additional $10/product to special order with a different thread color or Alcantara color than the standard Black/Red.

That would be a LOT with the pieces I'd want.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #106
ph0en1xtk

Drives: Raven MT Scion FR-S
a while back i emailed about the gauge cluster hood in simulated leather to better match the material that is currently on the doors and armrest and such, and JPM emailed back and said that it would be available on the website soon. I still have yet to see anything on there, but i see a member that posted a picture of not only the gauge hood, but the dash trim also in leather. How can i get these items? If theyre custom done, and i need to send a donor piece, by all means im willing to do so.

Also, the picture i saw had the two dash pieces wrapped in simulated leather, but there was also an alcantara one that was one solid piece with spacers for standard double DIN sized radios. Id really like a solid piece like that but leather instead of alcantara. Whatever the pricing would be, id like to set something up to get these pieces done
ph0en1xtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #107
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
Packages have arrived...now the work begins. Safe to say you don't have to worry about your pieces arriving damaged... I could practically wrap my house in bubble wrap at this point. (which is a good thing)
Can't wait to see it installed man! I want to see that radio dash panel installed, because i'm getting the same thing lol.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #108
Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
Can't wait to see it installed man! I want to see that radio dash panel installed, because i'm getting the same thing lol.

About half way there... going slow and making sure everything fits right, no wires rattle, etc.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #109
UnOvertime

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
@ph0en1xtk This is what you are looking for...at least for the gauge cluster hood

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35694

Last edited by UnOvertime; 05-07-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Forgot content
UnOvertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #110
ph0en1xtk

Drives: Raven MT Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnOvertime View Post
@ph0en1xtk This is what you are looking for...at least for the gauge cluster hood

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35694
thanks! that takes care of that, and if the speaker surround trim is cheaper than the jdm option, thatll even save me some money there too

Now i gotta see if i can get that dash piece, and all will be right with the world.
ph0en1xtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #111
UnOvertime

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0en1xtk View Post
thanks! that takes care of that, and if the speaker surround trim is cheaper than the jdm option, thatll even save me some money there too

Now i gotta see if i can get that dash piece, and all will be right with the world.
Yeah no problem. I emailed them awhile ago about the simulated leather knee pads and they said they were working on them. Now that these will be available soon, I have no excuse not to buy the knee pads, ebrake boot, and shift boot. I kept holding off saying "I will get the pieces when they all come out".
Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #112
HeubergerMotors

Drives: 2006 WRX TR
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
GO ALEX!
HeubergerMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HeubergerMotors For This Useful Post:
JPM Coachworks (05-08-2013)