follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2023, 12:59 AM   #1737
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I think this EV SUV will sell well with typical Lexus owners, and I think that is what Mark is missing. I don't think the vehicle needs the latest tech, the best battery or engines, the most range, or even more range. Part of the video Mark is praising the vehicle, and the other times he is holding it to the standards of other cars from the likes of Tesla/Lucid/Rimac/etc, even though he is not dropping names (it is obvious). In general, he wouldn't be any more excited to drive a Lexus ICE version of this car. If anything, the quiet, torquey and smooth powertrain and lower COG would be preferred to what he was lamenting was the hybrid 4 cylinder turbo powertrains. He is saying no from the perspective of a journalist who drives sports cars and who drives the latest tech, and in the EV space, the competition is fierce, yet he is missing the target audience, which is older more conservative types who buy a Lexus for its build quality, reliability, brand name, comfort, etc. These are people who probably own a Lexus SUV and are likely going to buy a Lexus SUV again, but now they have an EV option that mostly feels like a Lexus, but happens to be an EV.
The general consensus with the Lexus RZ is that its a good Lexus, but a meh EV. Same as the other eTNGA offerings (Bz4X/Solterra). EV tech wise it seems to just be "good enough", which is probably all it needed to be. Otherwise you have to chase the latest Tesla tech and it costs money to do so. the latest Ioniq (which to be fair if you DONT get the topmost trim you get something a little more comparable to what the Toyota cars provide), the VW ID cars are pretty much known to be mostly bleh and comparable, and the Chevy Bolt (EV fanboys favorite "cheap" EV) has equally comparable specs.

The Toyota triplets seem to be better than the Leaf, and "better than the leaf" seems to be the bare minimum to get a passable EV out there, so i dont think they're as bad as its made out to be. you read about how people get one and end up liking it, i think its because...it doesnt feel like a rolling smartphone. It feels like a car that is powered by electricity.

Sure range and charging are the toyota triplets biggest drawbacks but EV fanboys seem to completely forget all about the "charge at home" or "the average driver only drives so many miles " EV positives when it comes to the Toyota cars.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-05-2023), Wally86 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 02:53 AM   #1738
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
The general consensus with the Lexus RZ is that its a good Lexus, but a meh EV. Same as the other eTNGA offerings (Bz4X/Solterra). EV tech wise it seems to just be "good enough", which is probably all it needed to be. Otherwise you have to chase the latest Tesla tech and it costs money to do so. the latest Ioniq (which to be fair if you DONT get the topmost trim you get something a little more comparable to what the Toyota cars provide), the VW ID cars are pretty much known to be mostly bleh and comparable, and the Chevy Bolt (EV fanboys favorite "cheap" EV) has equally comparable specs.

The Toyota triplets seem to be better than the Leaf, and "better than the leaf" seems to be the bare minimum to get a passable EV out there, so i dont think they're as bad as its made out to be. you read about how people get one and end up liking it, i think its because...it doesnt feel like a rolling smartphone. It feels like a car that is powered by electricity.

Sure range and charging are the toyota triplets biggest drawbacks but EV fanboys seem to completely forget all about the "charge at home" or "the average driver only drives so many miles " EV positives when it comes to the Toyota cars.
While lots of people want and like Tesla or an EV that looks like an EV, there are many people who just want something that looks like an ICE vehicle and doesn't scream EV or doesn't have the Tesla ethos of design. This looks more EV than most Lexus vehicles because it doesn't need a grill, and not having a grill is better for aerodynamics, but besides that, this is the EV for someone who just wants something that looks like a typical Lexus.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:24 AM   #1739
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I'm agreeing with @Irace86.2.0 on this one.

Ultimately, just like with ICE, there needs to be a full range of EVs if they are every going to fully succeed. That means not every version is going to look like the cabin of the Starship Enterprise (or your desk at work if you want a Tesla).

Powering my next vehicle with electrons doesn't matter to me as much as the vehicle meets the criteria I want. That's why I am #1 at my local Cadillac dealership for a LYRIQ. If they built the exact car with the twin turbo V6 in the CT5-V, I'd buy that instead. I think the state of charging in the areas I drive long distance is good enough now, that electrons or gas doesn't matter as much.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 08:29 AM   #1740
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Perhaps this is just a recall, or a request to summarize, but at this point in time, in the EV industry, why would anyone pick a Tesla over any other EV? And I'm talking about your ho hum boring daily commuter.

The obvious answer is range (and depending on many factors, possibly price). What's this "Tesla tech" being referenced? Their self driving aids are nothing special, and IMO only attractive to people that enjoy placing their life into the hands of a computer.

Their build quality inside and out is subpar. Their paint is the worst in the industry. To me, all I can come up with is "range" and their charging network (but to me that's becoming irrelevant since other brands can utilize it now).
Old 09-05-2023, 08:53 AM   #1741
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
....Their build quality inside and out is subpar. Their paint is the worst in the industry. To me, all I can come up with is "range" and their charging network (but to me that's becoming irrelevant since other brands can utilize it now).
The build quality has improved, and as far as paint, can it possibly any worse than what is on a GEN1 86?

You pretty much nailed it though, it is the charging network combined with a similar sense of "prestige" that Apple has with their iProducts.

Range isn't really a factor I don't think. Most other similarly priced EVs have similar ranges, give or take.

Obviously other EVs are selling so Tesla isn't the only choice, but for a lot of folks it seems to be first choice.

Irace86.2.0 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 09:43 AM   #1742
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Perhaps this is just a recall, or a request to summarize, but at this point in time, in the EV industry, why would anyone pick a Tesla over any other EV? And I'm talking about your ho hum boring daily commuter.

The obvious answer is range (and depending on many factors, possibly price). What's this "Tesla tech" being referenced? Their self driving aids are nothing special, and IMO only attractive to people that enjoy placing their life into the hands of a computer.

Their build quality inside and out is subpar. Their paint is the worst in the industry. To me, all I can come up with is "range" and their charging network (but to me that's becoming irrelevant since other brands can utilize it now).
Pricing is a big one. At least in the EU, a Model 3 is cheaper than a less powerful automatic -petrol- Golf, a plug-in Prius or a small electric hatchback.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-05-2023), Wally86 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 09:45 AM   #1743
WolfpackS2k

Garage
^&^^thanks for the answers

When did build quality improve? I drove my brother's new Model Y Performance 2 months ago, and the interior was cheap.

And to answer question about paint, yes. Yes.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:02 AM   #1744
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

When did build quality improve? I drove my brother's new Model Y Performance 2 months ago, and the interior was cheap.

The most recent examples seems to have improved quality (i think certain cars too...mainly Model 3 I believe). Still not amazing but better than it started off as.

Tesla is still the #1 choice because yea, its got the Apple-like cult following and the charging network making road trips a nonissue. You read about the nightmares of the non-Tesla charging networks and its enough to just say hell no to a non-tesla.
But is going that route worth dealing with the Elon factor (which to be fair isnt going to be a deciding factor to many people), the fact you are paying luxury car prices for what amounts to be something built like a 90's GM car, and the fact you pretty much defer nearly everything driving related to the computer....

I wouldnt get one, cuz i still want to DRIVE the thing. I'd like quirky EV's (like VW id.Buzz...although the buzz on that has died down since it looks like a regular van now) or a Honda e, and i think BMW is doing pretty good with their EV's....although they're styling direction (fugly grilles aside) seems to be trending the way MB is....making your premium offerings look cheap as hell for some reason.

Provide me with an EV where i can basically just swap out the ICE and have the exact same "get in and drive, and not think about anything unless i need to" and I'd be on board. Id prefer to not to adjust my habits because of "fuck you that's why".
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-05-2023), Irace86.2.0 (09-05-2023), Wally86 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 11:06 AM   #1745
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Build quality is different than materials used. I read build quality as panel gaps, squeeks, groans and such. From what I've read on other forums, Tesla has improved it's build quality. Just looking at the new Model 3 you can see it. That is relative however. Still not up to true luxury standards as far as materials or build though IMO.

Tesla's minimalist interior is a nonstarter for me and it's just getting worse (removing stalks from the model 3, the stupid "yoke" steering wheel, etc, moving EVERYTHING to the console. Just yuck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires (09-07-2023), WolfpackS2k (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 12:50 PM   #1746
Irace86.2.0

Quote:

I would say there are two types of EVs: vehicles like the Bolt, Leaf, Lightning, RZ350, LYRIQ, etc, which are convention and just swap the ICE powertrain for the EV powertrain, and then the new guys like Tesla, Rivian, Lucid Air and premium vehicles like the Hummer EV. The latter companies have included cool tech in the cars, some of which, are features that an ICE could have too like Autopilot, crabwalking, or basic things like large frunks or like the Rivian's pass through storage. The Lexus RZ has no frunk, for instance.

Things that make the Tesla special over a Bolt or Leaf has been range, performance, price, Autopilot/FSD, the UI, the glass, the charging network, OTA updates, frunk size, crash rating, Sentry Mode, pet mode, phone/remote entry, remote warming, summon mode, etc. The charging speed and network is superior, but also the UI for charging is significantly better. The UI shows charging stations on your route, shows the number of open/total chargers, shows you local stores, restaurants, entertainment that are near the station, integrates the stop into a destination you already have in progress, and then it will condition the battery, so the car is ready to charge when you get to the chargers, and then when you get there, charging is as simple as removing the plug and sticking it in the port; the port automatically opens and your car automatically charges; there is no need to pull out a credit card because it will use whatever card is on file in your system. To use an Apple phrase: it just works. Even though other companies can use the network now, I don't believe their vehicles have the same UI experience, but that could be coming. There may be a point when a Lexus RZ has Sentry mode, Party Mode and falcon wing doors, but I doubt it.
WolfpackS2k (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 01:10 PM   #1747
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,325 Times in 7,383 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

People are still having some build issues, just not with the frequency we used to see them. Panel gaps and other issues. It's gotten a lot better. My uncles model Y has a few panel gap issues and sometimes it is hard to get the hatch to close.

The model 3 does have decent features at the price point. I hate the UI. The adaptive cruise is one of the better that I have used though I still don't like it, dog mode is also super nice if you have pets.
Old 09-05-2023, 03:01 PM   #1748
WolfpackS2k

Garage
Thanks fellas.
Old 09-05-2023, 03:48 PM   #1749
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

@Irace86.2.0 for what it's worth, the LYRIQ is also a ground up EV, very similar to the Hummer. That said, I suppose it is a more "conventional" vehicle than a technology showpiece.

Most higher end non-Tesla EVs have most if not all the features you mention. The possible exception is dog mode (although you can leave most of them cooling, it just doesn't display it on the screen). I drove a LYRIQ for about 200 miles, and it did all the things you mention with charging along the route, etc. It uses Google Maps for that so pretty much anything you can get on Maps you can get. It also has a couple of other options for routing if you don't like maps.

I'm not saying they are all mark for mark equal to Tesla, but a lot of it is there, minus maybe what I consider parlor tricks (summon, party mode, that type of crap) that I don't want in my car.

Speaking of Summon, given you can't drive a Tesla hands free when in the vehicle, why would I want to trust it to drive when I'm standing outside of it, and have no other control except cancelling? Just my take on it.

Irace86.2.0 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 05:13 PM   #1750
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
@Irace86.2.0 for what it's worth, the LYRIQ is also a ground up EV, very similar to the Hummer. That said, I suppose it is a more "conventional" vehicle than a technology showpiece.

Most higher end non-Tesla EVs have most if not all the features you mention. The possible exception is dog mode (although you can leave most of them cooling, it just doesn't display it on the screen). I drove a LYRIQ for about 200 miles, and it did all the things you mention with charging along the route, etc. It uses Google Maps for that so pretty much anything you can get on Maps you can get. It also has a couple of other options for routing if you don't like maps.

I'm not saying they are all mark for mark equal to Tesla, but a lot of it is there, minus maybe what I consider parlor tricks (summon, party mode, that type of crap) that I don't want in my car.

Speaking of Summon, given you can't drive a Tesla hands free when in the vehicle, why would I want to trust it to drive when I'm standing outside of it, and have no other control except cancelling? Just my take on it.
The front packaging on the LYRIQ could have been better. I don't buy the engineers that they wanted to optimize the back. A large frunk is nice for storage/security, and as tall as the LYRIQ is, they could have included a front trunk as is, but definitely with better packaging. Overall, the vehicle comes off more traditional, which is fine. It is a great vehicle. Overall, many manufactures seem to be trying to integrate legacy parts into EVs, even if they are on bespoke, skateboard platforms. You can see this with the accessory components under the hood and why the areas are far from optimized.

Do they have Sentry Mode? If seen a few features from other manufactures, but not all features. Someone might have a buggy app with remote heating. Some might have fueling station maps, but the level of execution or the ease of operation is not on the same level. It is good or good enough, but not as crisp. I liken this to Apple having a more refined and integrated approach where apps are optimized more and features are integrated well. Apple does more for updating older models of phones and providing new features too, which is similar to Tesla. The charging network and the charging experience being a huge part of that integration. They are really boosting the competition up by allowing access to their charging network, even if most people will be charging most of the time at home. For many, it would be a deal breaker to not have access to Tesla's charging network.