follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #29
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I learned this lesson the hard way. Back in my younger years when I first got my G2 license (able to drive on your own, but with many, many restrictions) I got 2 or three tickets in about a year and half's time. Nothing huge, 95 in a 70, 125 in a 100, 105 in a 80. All those were knocked down at the road side to 14 over (about a 65 dollar fine at the time, and no points on my record). But what young, stupid me didn't realize, that when it came time to renew my insurance, it jumped up almost 1200 dollars per year, for the next 3 years that they were on my record. So, if I had just ponied up the money for a traffic lawyer (about 300-500 depending on the ticket) I'd have been out at most $1500 at the time, but ahead by $2100 (3600-1500) in the long run.

That became very obvious when I was driving with my family down to a wedding, and my dad got pulled over doing 136 in a 100. That carries something like a 280 dollar fine and 3 or 4 points. He paid a traffic lawyer 450ish (worth it, since he didn't have to pay a 280 dollar fine or have his insurance go up, or take a day off work to go to court) and the judge threw the ticket out.

TL;DR just hire a lawyer.

EDIT: Insurance in ONtario is a joke though. When I bought my first motorcycle, a 2001 Yamaha R6 in 2013, the cheapest insurance I could find for myself was 12000 (yes, twelve thousand, not a typo) per year. I laughed very loudly into the phone before hanging up on the insurance agent, then I called back the next day with my dad's license information and saying he was the primary rider (which he would have been anyways, given I'm only home for a few days every month during riding season) and lo and behold, I was quoted at 600 per year. Even though he hadn't had insurance since he was 18 (now in his mid 50's), so they could have treated him like a new rider. Guess it pays to just get licensed for everything while you're young.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #30
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
You were going 78 in a BRZ?

Sorry, but I hope you learn your lesson.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #31
humdizzle

Drives: 2018 GT3 / 2015 M3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
yeah you can do the defensive driving course every 3 years i think.

any cheap lawyer should be able to get you that since its your first offense. But yeah always lawyer up, do community service, whatever you can to keep points off ur license.

...and buy a valentine 1.

Past: 458 Italia, R35 GTR, E36/E46/F80 M3, 335i, Scion FRS
humdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humdizzle For This Useful Post:
torqdork (05-06-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 12:53 AM   #32
HotLavaFRS

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S / Base
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
At serious risk of sounding like a crotchety old bastard:
What ever happened to taking responsibility for your actions? You break the law, you take your lumps and move on.
Yes, without a doubt, fight for your rights if innocent but to argue tickets you know you are guilty of is just a drain on the system and cost you (and everybody else) indirectly in tax dollars anyway.
If you do things that can get you a ticket than you need to be able to deal with the fall out.
I was going to say this and I do pretty much anytime someone talks about having a ticket. Going that much over wasn't an accident, take responsibility for being in the wrong and move on. Call it lesson learned, as long as people keep weaseling out of tickets, they never learn to quit, they just figure they'll get to fight the next one and so on.

2015 Scion FR-S Manual Base / Stock
1970 Mustang Fastback
HotLavaFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:31 AM   #33
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
only got 2 speeding tickets in my life.....first one I paid a fine of $60.00 which the judge reduced because I had a clean record with no points....but I was given 2 points with that fine....second ticket I was lucky it was dismissed because the female cop found out I worked for the government (CIA...nah!) and told me just contest the ticket....she didn't show up for the traffic court hrg so the judge dismissed it...chances are the cop may not show up for the traffic court hrg and if he does & your record is clean they may just reduce the fine. Just my 2 cents!

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #34
lonborghini

Drives: '15 red FR-S SSC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
What ever happened to taking responsibility for your actions? You break the law, you take your lumps and move on.
Yes, without a doubt, fight for your rights if innocent but to argue tickets you know you are guilty of is just a drain on the system and cost you (and everybody else) indirectly in tax dollars anyway.
If you do things that can get you a ticket than you need to be able to deal with the fall out.
By all means, "drain the system." Speed enforcement isn't about safety. Too often it's only about revenue generation aka selective taxation. If we all would plead not guilty and go to court the abusive traffic court system would collapse, speed limits would be set to reflect the natural flow of traffic and roadways would be designed for safe and efficient travel instead of extortion. Claim your right to the legal presumption of innocence until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The burden of proving guilt is always on the prosecution. You have no obligation to prove your innocence. Never give the state the easy way out. Always plead not guilty and make the state do its job.
lonborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lonborghini For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #35
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonborghini View Post
By all means, "drain the system." Speed enforcement isn't about safety. Too often it's only about revenue generation aka selective taxation. If we all would plead not guilty and go to court the abusive traffic court system would collapse, speed limits would be set to reflect the natural flow of traffic and roadways would be designed for safe and efficient travel instead of extortion. Claim your right to the legal presumption of innocence until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The burden of proving guilt is always on the prosecution. You have no obligation to prove your innocence. Never give the state the easy way out. Always plead not guilty and make the state do its job.
Ahhh, I knew I would get at least one "but the laws are just there to make money and should not apply to me because I know there are better ways to do things" response. Thank you for fulfilling my expectations.
Bergen23 (05-07-2015), Dadhawk (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #36
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
UNLESS ...... it was about 40 years ago near Los Banos, CA.

It was a bright, sunny day and I was heading across the valley on Route 152 (a very flat and straight road).

When I "thought" I had cleared Los Banos ...... I hammered down on my 1972 Ford Gran Torino (YES, it was ..... green).

The Sheriff thought that 100 MPH was just a little too fast.

So, I went before “the judge” in Los Banos …… BAD move on my part!

It was ugly …..

Shortly after that, I-5 opened up and I NEVER went through Los Banos again.

humfrz
I know its been said before, but your stories are always a great read

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3RGY68 View Post
Equipment fails, and radar guns in particular need calibration and adjustment. One type uses radio waves, another light. Both of which can be affected by external sources (weather, other devices, light reflections, etc.) Unless calibration records are provided, and they are as recent as the day you were clocked, then I'd say it's worth a shot. Otherwise, take the class and it doesn't go on license record. I know I paid for the ticket on insurance though for 3 years.
Point of Order, RADAR and LIDAR are both light. Either way, most modern guns have modes that compensate for surroundings, albeit with reduced effective ranges in inclement weather.
Quote:
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #37
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,859 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't know how it is in your state, but in Cali, iirc, anything over 21 mph over the speed limit is a point on your record since you no longer qualify for traffic school.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #38
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I don't know how it is in your state, but in Cali, iirc, anything over 21 mph over the speed limit is a point on your record since you no longer qualify for traffic school.
Points do vary from state to state. Here is the list from the OPs state of Tennessee. 16 to 25 miles an hour over is 4 points in TN.
@WGMGR I would suggest talking to an attorney in your area that specialized in traffic court. It's a serious enough offense, and they will be able to tell you if they can help particularly for a first offense.

MomHawk went through something similar right after Georgia passed the pullover law. She slowed down and tried to pull over but the second cop on the scene didn't agree and gave her a ticket. An attorney knew to pull the video from both police cars which showed she did have her signal on trying to pull over, but didn't show the traffic in the left lane. The attorney settled it with the prosecutor with no points and no fees, although we did end up about as much out of pocket for the attorney.

In the end though, as @Tcoat said, if you are guilty the attorney will probably suggest you please guilty and they can get it reduced to a lesser crime for first time.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Kaotic Lazagna (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #39
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
just contest by mail
find out what the law says in terms of the maximum wait time is, then get postmarked before that - then the officer literally has to write an essay in response

because officers are Very adept writers and can recall the situation from their notes and memory alone about a case thats happened over how every many months ago (CA is 6 ish months)
Old 05-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #40
Shedd22
BAMF

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Oh DAAAAAMNNN
Old 05-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #41
3nl

Drives: 2015 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Call a lawyer, spend the couple hundred dollars for one, and they will get the best possible outcome for you. There is zero chance of "beating" the ticket in court - if the cop shows up you lose (and in many states they don't have to show up at all anymore).

Your only option without a lawyer is talking to the prosecutor before it ever gets to court and pleading it down - but you will never get as good of a deal as a lawyer who has a relationship with the prosecutor.

23 over isn't the worst and if it is your first ticket there is a good chance of having it pled down to an equipment violation without taking any class with a lawyer. Generally you won't have to take the class unless it isn't your first ticket in 3 or 5 years (depending on state).

Challening the state is always a good idea with a ticket - but never do it alone - always call a lawyer. There is a reason the judge rolls his eyes and ignores every word you say when he hears "pro se"
3nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #42
F3RGY68

Drives: FR-S 10 Series MT, Honda 919
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Point of Order, RADAR and LIDAR are both light. Either way, most modern guns have modes that compensate for surroundings, albeit with reduced effective ranges in inclement weather.
I still don't believe in 100% accuracy without equipment failure. Modern cars are generally safer than ever, but we've had new cars with sudden acceleration issues, brakes, unsafe airbags, catching fire, etc. Many systems were in place to compensate for the environment and mechanical issues, but they failed. My main point was anything is worth a shot in court before bowing down and paying up.

BTW op, my first and only ticket was 88 in a 60, was reduced to 74 after the class.
F3RGY68 is offline   Reply With Quote