follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #673
AJPG

Drives: 22RE, FA20, 4G63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Of course if you have less power the car should be way easier to handle, that's not new... On any platform, including but not limited to car, truck, SUB, bikes, bicycles, planes and boats!

About heat management on hot climate, well that's a obvious issue. The end
AJPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #674
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Racers Line View Post
I have actually had the same result!
I could only muster a 1:30 at Thill West. Thumbs up to you sir! (watched your video) You are way past ready for 86cup. Now to convince NCRC.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #675
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Thread has been very valuable. At this point I'm curious what comes next after combating the heat?

Hypothetically speaking: You've done the suspension, added more grip, stuck on bigger brakes and added boost. End result is one heck of a fast car that runs hot.

So you run down the heat management list: oil cooler goes on first, turbo blankets/shielding (depending on FI setup) then a vented hood. After that maybe a bigger radiator. By this point you've got one heck of a fast car that won't overheat any more.

So now you've solved the heat problems and are able to run tons of laps. You're pulling a TON of Gs lap after lap in a car with no dry sump and which can also experience fuel surge at less than 3/4 of a tank.

I'm N/A and have a JR oil cooler which alone has controlled my temps nicely. I've already decided to stick with lower grip street tires on track though because I was easily pulling over 1.3Gs on R comps at which point I was beginning to experience fuel surge and possible oil starvation issues were beginning to worry me. Throwing FI on top of all that seems suicidal. Higher possibility of catastrophic engine failures and all.

Not meaning to offend anyone - just seems to me that reliably tracking a boosted version of this car is looking like one heck of a deep rabbit hole.

Assuming great ways to manage heat (plenty in this thread) what comes next? Happy to be educated.
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)

Last edited by ultra; 04-28-2015 at 06:39 PM.
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ultra For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-29-2015), GT86_PRAGUE (08-03-2015), hmong337 (04-28-2015), mkivsoopra (04-28-2015), Sleepless (05-01-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #676
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra View Post
Thread has been very valuable. At this point I'm curious what comes next after combating the heat?

Hypothetically speaking: You've done the suspension, added more grip, stuck on bigger brakes and added boost. End result is one heck of a fast car that runs hot.

So you run down the heat management list: oil cooler goes on first, turbo blankets/shielding (depending on FI setup) then a vented hood. After that maybe a bigger radiator. By this point you've got one heck of a fast car that won't overheat any more.

So now you've solved the heat problems and are able to run tons of laps. You're pulling a TON of Gs lap after lap in a car with no dry sump and which can also experience fuel surge at less than 3/4 of a tank.

I'm N/A and have an JR oil cooler which alone has controlled my temps nicely. I've already decided to stick with lower grip street tires on track though because I was easily pulling over 1.3Gs on R comps at which point fuel surge and oil starvation were beginning to worry me. Throwing FI on top of all that seems suicidal. Higher possibility of catastrophic engine failures and all.

Not meaning to offend anyone - just seems to me that reliably tracking a boosted version of this car is looking like one heck of a deep rabbit hole.

Happy to be educated.
Good post... I'm actually looking down that hole now. Car makes gobs of power without overheating and has tons of grip. I'm experiencing fuel starvation in certain corners at the track on street tires, and oil starvation is a big question mark.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #677
ultra
Curious cat.

I've seen a baffled oil pan for sale somewhere but no idea how effective that is.

Absolutely no clue on solving fuel surge issues beyond carrying a spare tank of gas around and always topping the tank up to full after every session.
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
Old 04-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #678
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
I could only muster a 1:30 at Thill West. Thumbs up to you sir! (watched your video) You are way past ready for 86cup. Now to convince NCRC.
Haha thank you man! I loved the track. The Z4m I prepped before that same event did a 1:23.9 so I still felt slow.

I am working on NCRC though. I've got an email into Dave, so hopefully I hear back from him soon.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #679
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
You drive it. Until one fateful day, you fall prey to to the boost and turn up the power. When you get to this point you hopefully had start setting aside a fund. This fund will eventually go to a built bottom-end. Truthfuly though you may be dipping into it to fund axles, trans or anything else that breaks along the way.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #680
Xuningshen

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I've seen a baffled oil pan for sale somewhere but no idea how effective that is.

Absolutely no clue on solving fuel surge issues beyond carrying a spare tank of gas around and always topping the tank up to full after every session.
Me, not knowing anything specific about oil pan baffling, looking at whats available for our cars, there only seems to be pans that increase oil capacity. with minor baffling that apparently isn't even required because our car's "upper" pan already has some baffling in it? I've looked up(googled) other baffled pans for STI's n stuff and they have fancy traps doors and what not. So why doesn't our car have them yet? Anyone?
Old 04-29-2015, 02:32 AM   #681
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

I'm N/A and have a JR oil cooler which alone has controlled my temps nicely. I've already decided to stick with lower grip street tires on track though because I was easily pulling over 1.3Gs on R comps at which point I was beginning to experience fuel surge and possible oil starvation issues were beginning to worry me. Throwing FI on top of all that seems suicidal. Higher possibility of catastrophic engine failures and all.

Assuming great ways to manage heat (plenty in this thread) what comes next? Happy to be educated.
The driver mod is always available...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #682
ultra
Curious cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The driver mod is always available...
If I ever end up in Cali you can school me pretty good on that bit, no doubt.

It's just kind of weird that nobody's come up with a fuel surge solution in the course of boosting and building these cars yet. It's a known issue (I think?) and these cars aren't new to being boosted anymore so I had assumed that somebody would have looked at doing stuff with fuel pumps and senders in order to address fuel starvation issues at some or other by now.

Edit: something along these lines perhaps:
http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36-fue...-kits-p39.aspx

At least the heat seems manageable but I just hope that people don't automatically equate effective heat management and a good tune with being ''Reliable', particularly when driving hard.

Tracking a car that might suddenly stutter or run lean in corners just seems like a considerable risk to keep in mind, particularly if you're boosted and can't get a blown motor replaced under warranty anymore.

Apologies if off topic; figured that surge and starvation issues are somewhat related to cooling in the 'overall reliability' sense.
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
Old 04-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #683
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
@ultra, I know of a surge tank under development for our cars, but it hasn't been released yet.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mkivsoopra For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (06-30-2015), ultra (04-30-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #684
CSG Mike

Quote:
If I ever end up in Cali you can school me pretty good on that bit, no doubt.

It's just kind of weird that nobody's come up with a fuel surge solution in the course of boosting and building these cars yet. It's a known issue (I think?) and these cars aren't new to being boosted anymore so I had assumed that somebody would have looked at doing stuff with fuel pumps and senders in order to address fuel starvation issues at some or other by now.

Edit: something along these lines perhaps:
http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36-fue...-kits-p39.aspx

At least the heat seems manageable but I just hope that people don't automatically equate effective heat management and a good tune with being ''Reliable', particularly when driving hard.

Tracking a car that might suddenly stutter or run lean in corners just seems like a considerable risk to keep in mind, particularly if you're boosted and can't get a blown motor replaced under warranty anymore.

Apologies if off topic; figured that surge and starvation issues are somewhat related to cooling in the 'overall reliability' sense.
A few reasons. The biggest one is that there's not really a good place to locate a surge tank. We've discussed with several manufacturers, and its effectively a "racecar only" solution, whereas with other platforms like the Evo, 02-14 WRX/STI, S2k, etc, there's a way to conveniently place the surge tank without intruding in trunk or passenger cabin space. This severely limits the market for such a solution.

On the other hand, fuel starvation hasn't been a huge issue... but we're also not pushing a ton of power. We do use a large pump.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ultra (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #685
ultra
Curious cat.

^ Useful, thanks man. Do you guys keep your tank topped up above a certain level too? Running R compounds with no problems?

Anyone else logging this stuff for that matter?

As far as heat goes my car's a rock solid at the moment - simple JR oil cooler completely solved high oil temp issues as per my OBDII logs. I run 0w20 or 5w30 on a stock motor. Stock tune. Track or traffic in Dubai heat - zero issuess since the oil cooler install. Oil temps rarely creep over 100 Celsius and coolant stays well in the 90s.
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
The Following User Says Thank You to ultra For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #686
CSG Mike

Quote:
^ Useful, thanks man. Do you guys keep your tank topped up above a certain level too? Running R compounds with no problems?

Anyone else logging this stuff for that matter?

As far as heat goes my car's a rock solid at the moment - simple JR oil cooler completely solved high oil temp issues as per my OBDII logs. I run 0w20 or 5w30 on a stock motor. Stock tune. Track or traffic in Dubai heat - zero issuess since the oil cooler install. Oil temps rarely creep over 100 Celsius and coolant stays well in the 90s.
Tank level depends on setup and driver skill, as well as the specific track. Anything we post would be misconstrued, since every situation is different.