follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #57
Axel

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is Toyota REALLY that stupid?? most of us probably wouldn't doubt it!

maybe, JUST MAYBE, if they actually read the reaction to this around the world this rumor won't happen.

Quote:
The concept looks quite production ready.. and STUNNING.

The design cues from the 'rendering' looks very basic and underwhelming. Not impressive at all.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #58
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Drives: Crappy old '90 civic. Frankie.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To be perfectly honest, I really like the eye black on the CALTY design that makes it look like a panda. It keeps the spirit of the hachi-roku alive. That said, I really prefer the overall look of the ED2 design. It's sexy.
Putting all of that aside, I have to agree totally with OST. If this thing drives well and looks like shit, I won't be heartbroken. It would really be in Toyota's interest to make this thing look mean.. but this car IS the revival of a legend, and a legend that was NOT built on image. The moment Toyota makes this car about image, they're going to piss off a LOT of people. (By the way, the legend I'm talking about is the AE86, not the celica. I'm not saying the celica's not a legend, but this concept's even named after the hachi-roku.)

I would prefer ED2's design, but if this thing looks like a Prius and drives like a champ, I'll still buy one.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #59
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

BTW, I can't help feeling like someone is seriously trolling us right now.
And completely winning.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #60
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
i just went and bought the magazine in question during my lunch break.

sry for the blurry cell phone pics

at the top in red it says "european design and japanese design both rejected? ft-86 moves toward design finalization"

the pic in the magazine is pretty much identical to the pic from motortrend.

all the info is the same as has already been quoted. the magazine compiled together various tidbits from anonymous insiders to come up with the following conclusions: the US design was chosen over the euro and japan designs. the US design has more curved lines, is "sexier" and has overall become much more "rounded" with a longer front overhang. they claim that the subaru version and toyota version will not be very different at all, the only difference being the badges and option grades.

here's the bad news for subaru and turbo fans:

according to this insert, an AWD version is highly unlikely because the engine IS a front midship engine and using subaru's AWD system would require using the regular impreza platform rather than the ft-86 platform, which is essentially a newly designed platform. they say that a mass produced turbo version would also be very unlikely due to necessary changes to the tranny/dif in order to handle the extra torque. turbo, if available at all, will only be available as an aftermarket option thru G's.

again, i want to remind everyone that Holiday Auto magazine in japan is known to fabricate their stories. they do get their rumors right every once in a while, but these are just rumors and there's no telling how accurate or inaccurate they are. the renderings were done by graphic artists working for the magazine based off of these rumors that were heard from "insider sources."
Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #61
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
edit: sorry i misread your post. where is this automobile magazine article that you speak of?
It's in the March 2010 issue of Automobile magazine on page 20 very first paragraph. Someone actually scanned it and posted it to this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322

I also typed out the important part of the paragraph as it is hard to read in the thread. Just look for my post.Name:  ft-86-ii-concept-designer.jpg
Views: 84230
Size:  95.8 KB
Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #62
fernan2

Drives: Wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome View Post
Looks like this is a clearer version of the Calty Design found it on Motor Trends site under "Toyota MR2 Revival" Still like the ER Concept but this will still do.
i like it, it takes time but look at this picture a few times and u get use to the idea, hopefully it will have a turbo engine, thats all i need realy to get me to buy one!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #63
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
It's in the March 2010 issue of Automobile magazine on page 20 very first paragraph. Someone actually scanned it and posted it to this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322

I also typed out the important part of the paragraph as it is hard to read in the thread. Just look for my post.
I would suggest reading this thread, just for the engrish a little further down..
Old 02-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #64
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Okay, guys..
I'm just gonna call BS.
I won't say it's not possible, but I just don't believe it. All evidence points away from it, except empty claims.
This story is a fabrication.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #65
fernan2

Drives: Wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon101 View Post
Okay, guys..
I'm just gonna call BS.
I won't say it's not possible, but I just don't believe it. All evidence points away from it, except empty claims.
This story is a fabrication.
i hope u are correct!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #66
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor

Drives: 2013 FR-S
i feel confident in toyota that they will make us happy
Old 02-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #67
admiralhonshu

Drives: Toyota Sienna
I dug these up, as confirmed there will be no Supra made. Ironically looking at the body design, it kind of looks like a larger version of the FT-86.

I was given this a while back from a Tony Chui a sales rep in Weitzes Toyota located in the Toronto area. These are 2 pictures of a prototype celica circa 2007

This above is the Scion TC Fuse Concept, it is near ready to replace the Scion TC coupe.

So I dont know if the FT86 will be called the new celica be the new Scion TC.

I hope it comes out as a special corolla still, like the matrix, when it first came out it. It was called Corolla Matrix. Perhaps they may call it Corolla 86 (Pipe Dream) but hey Toyota has done some weird and wild things they may still call it the new scion TC or the new celica even though they have present prototypes on the board ready to be released.

Last edited by admiralhonshu; 02-10-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: More info and pictures.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #68
Nemesis
H. Badger Cares About Him

Drives: BMW 335i coupe w/ man.6 spd
I think we have a winner!

If this red picture of the "final version" is what they originally posted, I think I know how this all got started. This picture was out for some time around the same time the FT-86 "G" was shown. However, it has been listed and taughted by everyone as the "hybrid MR2" not the FT-86. This is a hoax based on someones asumption that the pic below of the "MR2 hybrid" was the final version of the FT-86. To prove this, I found pics of the "MR2 hybrid" that I had saved. It didn't hit me until I saw the red pic tonight. Anyway here are the pics that I believe spawned this ugly rumor:
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #69
Nemesis
H. Badger Cares About Him

Drives: BMW 335i coupe w/ man.6 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
If this red picture of the "final version" is what they originally posted, I think I know how this all got started. This picture was out for some time around the same time the FT-86 "G" was shown. However, it has been listed and taughted by everyone as the "hybrid MR2" not the FT-86. This is a hoax based on someones asumption that the pic below of the "MR2 hybrid" was the final version of the FT-86. To prove this, I found pics of the "MR2 hybrid" that I had saved. It didn't hit me until I saw the red pic tonight. Anyway here are the pics that I believe spawned this ugly rumor:

Selfishly I hope this is not the final version of the FT-86, it looks like a chubby version of he FT-HS. Anyway atleast we tracked down how this started, lets just hope it's all based on fiction...
Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #70
admiralhonshu

Drives: Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Selfishly I hope this is not the final version of the FT-86, it looks like a chubby version of he FT-HS. Anyway atleast we tracked down how this started, lets just hope it's all based on fiction...
He is right I have my copy here too, the magazine that is.

Closed Thread

Tags
ft-86, ft-86 forum, ft-86 info, toyota ft-86