follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #57
meWant

Drives: '16 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Great build and the car looks amazing
meWant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #58
oldeskewltoy
dedicated enthusiast

Drives: Surreptitious(AE71), & Grunt(AE95)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
I may know a guy that built a custom adapter made to fit a t5 mustang trans behind the 4age. Way cheaper and easier to find

The Frozen North
Question for you(collective can answer this if you'd like....)... would you swap in a T5 instead of your AZ6? The J160 is more or less the same transmission as your(FR-S and BRZ) has... so I ask you... would you swap in the T5 instead of your AZ6???

I didn't think so... and I have the same/similar slick shifting transmission as you... I like the 6 speed

meWant - thanks....now that the tune is better... it is a great deal of fun to drive it again...

So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeskewltoy View Post

So the mount needs to sweep, or "wing" forward.....

Yes... that is corrugated paper for now, the mount itself is being built in 1/8" plate... Once the crossmember has been sized, gusset supports will be added to reinforce the plate.

More to come.....

Actually it was built with 12 gauge (.1046"), instead of 1/8" (.125")

So the ground test looks ok, The mount appears to be shaped correctly, how will it look once raised into position?

Not bad... the overall mount holes are all covered, which mean the overall size is correct.

Once the mount holes are drilled... it looks even better.

The black marker lines show where the reinforcement/gusset will be fitted. It will also get transverse gussets as well

Again, using corrugated paper board to assist with design... OR C.A.D.

I'll admit... the welding is not very good... BUT... it is good enough for strength... and this part is under the car not typically seen... and so its good.

With the transmission installed... the driveshaft gets shortened 1/2" in the front half... and viola, the drivetrain is back in and connected

Once in, I fabricated a small piece of sheet steel to fit the original opening

Now that the gear lever is 5" further back, the hand brake is close, uncomfortably close... So I shorten the hand brake handle to compensate

And there we have the only 6 speed equipped, 4AG powered AE71 in existence....

More to come.....
Old 02-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #59
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Well seeing as I've gone through 2 az6/tl70 trannys I'd do the t5 for availability and cost. Don't forget mine is a pure racecar so I'm not after slick shifting I want strength.
Props to all the work youve done though.
The Frozen North
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #60
asianbob

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S, Asphalt, 6MT
Awesome build! Subscribed!
asianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #61
oldeskewltoy
dedicated enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
Well seeing as I've gone through 2 az6/tl70 trannys I'd do the t5 for availability and cost. Don't forget mine is a pure racecar so I'm not after slick shifting I want strength.
Props to all the work youve done though.
The Frozen North
I'm guessing you have never driven an AE86 (or other rwd Corolla) in anger... The T50 is so crappy, weak, and antiquated that it makes the AZ6 feel and drive with total confidence.

pure... or real race cars... typically need a bit more strength... although if the race car is light enough... frequently the mass reduction matches... or exceeds the increased forces of a race engine, and stickier rubber.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #62
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Blew two t50's in my race car. One the 3-4 shift rail snapped and the second one I sheared all the teeth off third gear. Yes the az6 is a way better trans but I have a bad taste in my mouth from them.
I love rwd Toyotas and if I could find one I'd buy one as a daily.
The Frozen North
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished

Last edited by Dipstik-sportech; 02-19-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #63
oldeskewltoy
dedicated enthusiast

Garage
A bit of an update.... :cheer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeskewltoy
If you remember my threads on "tuning" to be able to drive around town... well, she no longer needs a special knowledge of her quirks to drive her normally.

There are a few things still needing some adjustment.

1) occasionally she gets hung up on engine decel @ a light. She'll get "stuck" around 1800 rpm or so... funny thing is a tap of the accelerator or two and the idle will come down :confused:

2) idle was purposely set a touch high(about 1200) to try and remove some of the overlap, I'd like it reset around 1000 or so.

3) Cooling fans still draw enough to make the engine stumble and almost stall. I think for the cooling fans, a VSV will need to be installed so that the VSV activates similtaniously with the cooling fans

Over the past 2 years I've driven Surreptitious less than 1500 miles... alot of this was because a certain tuning shop had no idea how to properly set and program the FJO system. Shortly after I swapped in the 6 speed she went back for a "final" adjustment.

LONG STORY short.... once I got it back the last time.... I had to "fix" cam timing, and swap in the earlier tune

Move ahead 2 years... Surreptitious goes to Loynings, and is tuned on their steady state dyno. She is "tuned" in each rpm band for power. Off to DEQ(emissions testing) and fails.... 1100 HC, 5.0 CO.

I bring her back in, they make a few adjustments, I go back to DEQ... 214 HC, 0.447 CO - She passes

and no new cat required this time....

Now as far as performance.... She idles...(between 1000 and 1100) she idles and doesn't stall when coming to a stop... she idles with all the installed electrical draws on (lights, wipers, heater fan, 100 watt fog lamps) she even idled with the cooling fan on @ the inspection station without stalling or stumbling while the test was being performed...

This tune is only a few days old... but so far it has inspired some new confidence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by from another forum

so uhh...after the new tune....whats the power look like ?
WOT was never a problem... she always (with one exception) planted great power...

What is odd... I'm only running 2 BTDC degrees of ignition timing...

OPINION:
They did the reverse of what I thought to be needed..... I figured more timing (not less) would make it want to idle up.... What they did was feed in the less timing and they opened up the throttle plate a touch. With the throttle plate open, this lowers the pressure in the manifold... and so when there is a change like vacuum being drawn to run the brakes... or a alternator puts a load on the system there is less pressure change in the manifold... less pressure change, less unstable idle.... and so it idles pretty well under loads now.

The above is the change after the failed inspection....

BEFORE the failed inspection... They did a lot of changes in the map... the fuel map especially. If you remember Bob had set the original fuel map as best he could... but with a 6mm hole in the manifold he did the best he could. Once i found the hole, and fixed it I DEPENDED on the self learning feature to "fix" the fuel map. Well... now she has a dedicated fuel map built on a steady state dyno to keep AFRs(between 12.5 and 13) in the peak range to make power, and protect the "fragile" OEM cast pistons from detonation.

So, back to the car.... with my new found trust in her overall character... and to signify her change from temperamental toy ... into reliable, dependable toy

She gets her first new set of wipers in over 5 years a set of Anco Aero Advantage..... Why??

Now that she runs well besides wipers working, I felt it is time to finish up the parking brake.

Quote:
The emergency brake cables need a fabricated bracket on the driverside(thank you Jesse), and a zip tie around the axle hop line mount to secure the passenger side cable.
Back almost a year ago when the GTS diff went in we had been successful in finding mounting points for the heavy cables... but the small bracket inside the trans tunnel used to support the front where they come together was about 1" too far forward to actually be useful...

so today we (Jesse and I) removed the bracket from its original location, reversed its position - to make mounting in the new location easier...

Now that the cables are supported front and rear, I can finish up with the handle.
Quote:

Now that the gear lever is 5" further back, the hand brake is close, uncomfortably close... So I shorten the hand brake handle to compensate

Anyone have a spare GTS parking brake handle? Josh informs me the GTS has a different fulcrum shape for the cable to ride in... and MAY be required to use GTS calipers and cables...

OR... I can figure a way to lengthen the single cable about 3/4" to fit.

Quote:

OR... I can figure a way to lengthen the single cable about 3/4" to fit.

I should have kept the lengthening to 3/4", I did about 1 1/4"(length of threads) and although it now works, I have little room left for further adjustment...

If/when that time occurs that it is out of adjustment, I'll cut off the bindings and place the two sections a bit tighter together...

but for now... we have a working parking brake.....

NOW... maybe I can think about carpeting, and the remainder of the interior....

... and so now begins the beginning of the end of this build...
Old 05-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #64
JackSmiley

Drives: A Potential Traffic Ticket
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Nice writeup! I've been considering doing a swap for my ae71 and the BEAMS was one of the 2 choice of engines (1uzfe would be the other choice). I've been looking for aftermarket engine and tranny mounts and havent found any for sale.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #65
oldeskewltoy
dedicated enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSmiley View Post
Nice writeup! I've been considering doing a swap for my ae71 and the BEAMS was one of the 2 choice of engines (1uzfe would be the other choice). I've been looking for aftermarket engine and tranny mounts and havent found any for sale.
The AE86 and the AE71 are close enough...... a quick search shows 3 or 4 different swap kits available

https://www.google.com/search?q=beam...ms+mounts+ae86

In the mean time... take a short ride with me.... video is poor, but the sound....

[ame]http://youtu.be/oC73j3m_Hf4[/ame]

not many 4 cylinders sound as sweet......
SkAsphalt (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #66
JackSmiley

Drives: A Potential Traffic Ticket
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
The AE86 and the AE71 are close enough...... a quick search shows 3 or 4 different swap kits available

https://www.google.com/search?q=beam...ms+mounts+ae86

In the mean time... take a short ride with me.... video is poor, but the sound....

not many 4 cylinders sound as sweet......
I forgot the AE71 and AE86 are almost the same. Well, thank you sir! And loving the sound of your car!
Old 05-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #67
oldeskewltoy
dedicated enthusiast

Garage
Quote:

NOW... maybe I can think about carpeting, and the remainder of the interior....

So... carpet is on order from Stock Interiors.

Royal blue - the molded carpet, and 2 running yards (72" square) so that I can finish off the new rear space. Along with carpet, I ordered Dynamat - 36 square foot kit - since this is new for me I don't know if that's enough... but it should be more than enough to do the passenger compartment - under the molded carpet.

More to come....
Old 06-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #68
oldeskewltoy
dedicated enthusiast

Garage
Surreptitious gets christened...

sorry no pics of this

Joanne and I took a little 2 day vacation down to Newport Oregon.

We loaded up Surreptitious with our stuff, and the two dogs. We dropped the "girls" off at doggy day camp (Tail Wag Inn), and then proceeded down 18 to 101, and then down to Newport.

Joanne was sent a groupon for a 2 day stay in a jacuzzi equipped condo with private access to the beach (access was private, not the beach).

The place is called the Starfish Point Motel - http://www.starfishpoint.com/

"Our" condo as viewed from the beach..

and the view from the condo's lower deck out to the beach... the lower deck is semi- enclosed in the trees so the effect is of being surrounded

I spent about 50% of my time sitting on this deck... just enjoying the sounds of the wind, the ocean, the babbling brook (can be seen emptying into "little creek" in above pic), and the birds and "assorted" additional sounds of nature

WE had a wonderful time... WE had a chance to relax...

So... what does all of this have to do with Surreptitious being "christened"??? While down there we enjoyed some modified Mimosa's (mango juice, orange juice, and champagne).... see where this is heading????

We didn't finish all of the champagne, and although only 1/3 full and partially corked... the top popped inside the small compartment letting loose about 2 or 3 shots worth... gently "christening" one side of the interior compartment without doing damage...
VacantSky (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 02:53 AM   #69
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Drives: 1991 E30 318iS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Just read this whole thread, such a cool build!
VacantSky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VacantSky For This Useful Post:
oldeskewltoy (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #70
oldeskewltoy
dedicated enthusiast

Garage
No mirrors... Jeff - guy in glasses, and I went for a tuning cruise the other day and we saw this, and had to get a photo....

So on to what we were doing. The Winter Loynings tune (2 degrees of timing @ idle) has been simply wonderful. She handles all kinds of different loads wonderfully... FAR better then any tune so far, and easily making this totally daily-able! BUT..... as I noted in our trip to Newport Oregon, the fuel mileage is only fair to good(27mpg), so it would be useful to see if the map can be adjusted to deliver better fuel mileage.

Before we touched anything we plotted the rpm "cloud" (blocks of cells) so we knew where we wanted to adjust. We found that there is similar rpm ranges for around town (moderately high vacuum - MAP) and highway cruise(moderately high vacuum - MAP). We also found that the AFRs in that range varied from low 13s to mid 14s. We then adjusted the AFRs in those cells to mid/upper 15s, we then let the FJO adjust the fuel map accordingly....

Just in case... the new program has a new name so I can always fall back to the old one if things go awry....