follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #29
Godzpeed

Drives: Nissan GTR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mugen RR is not worth the money.
Godzpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #30
noAE86

Drives: ae86, etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
TRD designation is really nothing like Honda's Type R.

The Type R designation is Honda basically turning a otherwise basic economy car, stripping it down, putting in a or modifying the engine until it's a streetable race car. And selling it like that.

AFAIK Toyota never sold a TRD car from the factory. I could be wrong though, as I've been a life long Honda owner.

TRD to me, if anything, is like HFP.

With all of that being said, I love the FD2 and wish they made it here in the states.

Too bad it would have cost as much as an STI here too.

So FRS it is.
TRD did sell factory TRD cars, the 2000gt sw20 mr2 and 3000gt jza80 supra, with factory trd widebody kits, massive brakes and fine tuning for response, manual only, and VERY limited, there is a silver 3000gt supra just ten minutes away from my fathers house in NZ, i sworn dive towards it every time he drives pass, but like you said, TRD is just another tom's or techno toy spirit, mugen, factory "backed" aftermarket company,

agree on the type R stuff, fully race orientated arm of honda, if you guys in america could get the track bare bones cars like japan i think the awareness/persona of "type R" would be a whole lot diffident, and much more serious.
noAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #31
catharsis

Drives: honda civic si 08
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
if TRD beefed up the motor like what was done to the type r the TRD would come out on top. However the Type-R even in fwd form still would had the advantage in my eyes, unless TRD touched the motor.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #32
huma

Drives: ITR
CTR > 86.

I would be rolling a CTR instead of my current BRZ if Honda sold it here in the states. The great thing about the BRZ is that I don't have to worry about theft. (:
huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #33
|-Goku-|

Drives: 2011 Civic Si
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would be purchasing a CTR if it was available also. I loved my Si, but wanted to try something different. But the new generation of Civics are just terrible. Very cheap on the inside, so I don't know if I would still but a Type R, if they made one for the 9th Generation Civic, and for some random reason started selling them in the US.
|-Goku-| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #34
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
**discontinued due to not meeting emissions standards

I hate emission standards
Old 07-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #35
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
TRD designation is really nothing like Honda's Type R.

The Type R designation is Honda basically turning a otherwise basic economy car, stripping it down, putting in a or modifying the engine until it's a streetable race car. And selling it like that.

AFAIK Toyota never sold a TRD car from the factory. I could be wrong though, as I've been a life long Honda owner.

TRD to me, if anything, is like HFP.

With all of that being said, I love the FD2 and wish they made it here in the states.

Too bad it would have cost as much as an STI here too.

So FRS it is.
In this case yes, it's quite different. Toyota have though, sold cars in the same vein. In japan, the TRD 2000GT (MR-2 Turbo, widebody some examples approaching 500hp) and the TRD 3000GT (Supra) were offered. Recently in Australia, the now defunct TRD Australia brought to market the TRD Aurion and Hilux.

Type R cars usually see a level of modification unlike your typical TRD car though. The thing a bout TRD technocraft, you can get pretty much a TRD anything from the factory in Japan, you just have to order it, a la carte from the parts catalog, and pay through the nose. You won't likely find any stripped and seam welded chassis though, unless you look at very special edition (Toyota) vehicles.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #36
Kel O Tron

Drives: Genesis Coupe
CTR would beat the brakes off the 86 with a trunk full of groceries and still get better mpg as well.
Kel O Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #37
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel O Tron View Post
CTR would beat the brakes off the 86 with a trunk full of groceries and still get better mpg as well.
I agree with the first part...but Im averaging 32mpg and romp on the gas every chance I get. I think the mpg would be the same between the two.

If the CTR was here in the states I would have purchased it over the BRZ. I've had 11 Hondas, and every version of the Si they made up until 2011. Sadly after the ITR's stopped their production Honda hasn't let the US have anything exciting. Had they included the US market in any of the CTRs I'd still be a fan. They let me down, and I moved to another mfg.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #38
Kel O Tron

Drives: Genesis Coupe
Yeah, Honda used to have some hardcore nuts on them, and imo, they lost their soul. According to Best Motoring, the CTR is actually on the same level as the NSX-S on the track.
Kel O Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #39
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel O Tron View Post
Yeah, Honda used to have some hardcore nuts on them, and imo, they lost their soul. According to Best Motoring, the CTR is actually on the same level as the NSX-S on the track.
if your primary objective is performance on the track, just get a cobalt ss and destroy everything in this conversation including the nsx. if its soul you want, there is always a miata. if you want both, be prepared to spend another 20k
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #40
Sle

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra View Post
I believe that the JDM Type R cars (at least the Mugen RR) have an LSD to cure precisely that issue. Gets them out of the corners really well too.
Sorry to reply on this old topic, but I own an Si and have an LSD stock.
Sle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #41
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
I agree with the first part...but Im averaging 32mpg and romp on the gas every chance I get. I think the mpg would be the same between the two.

If the CTR was here in the states I would have purchased it over the BRZ. I've had 11 Hondas, and every version of the Si they made up until 2011. Sadly after the ITR's stopped their production Honda hasn't let the US have anything exciting. Had they included the US market in any of the CTRs I'd still be a fan. They let me down, and I moved to another mfg.
I agree with everything but if you include the AP2 CR then I think that was the best/raw Honda in the US ever. To my knowledge the CR is the only time the US actually got something better then Japan (CR vs there Type-S)
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #42
brianc
OCD

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
if your primary objective is performance on the track, just get a cobalt ss and destroy everything in this conversation including the nsx. if its soul you want, there is always a miata. if you want both, be prepared to spend another 20k
Since when did a Cobalt SS beat a NSX around a track? I've driven one cobalt SS in my life. Great little car. Didn't handle very well. When I first bought my RSX-S I read this review as I was debating between the rsx and the wrx. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests

Never knew the Cobalt SS was a heavy contender in the sports car world.

In terms of the Civic Type R vs the 86 TRD. Here is a Honda fanboy defending his rice:

It still is FWD vs RWD no matter how you look at it. But those of you who don't think driving a FWD is any fun, need to drive a Civic Type R. That thing has a pretty damn rigid chassis, it actually oversteers into corners when late braking. The rear comes right around. I think the CTR does 0-60 in just under 6 seconds? not bad for a 200hp FWD. How much did the stock 86 get around Tsukuba? Around 1:10? I think that's what the videos told us. According to fastlaps.com the CTR does it in 1:07.49. Pretty damn fast for a FWD .

220hp 160lbs of tq, 2800lbs, LSD, 5.1 final drive, vtec @ 5800rpm
That's alot of fun for a little honda civic.

Here is a little bit for the guys who have no idea what the Civic Type R is (as it isn't sold in America)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndaUTJUEzDg"]Civic Type R Returns (FD2) - CTR MEGA TEST & BATTLE - Best Motoring International - YouTube[/ame]
Suzuka Lap Time was 2"35"20

Tried to look for a Toyota 86 one. Only found a BRZ one.. Not sure if it's the same full lap but this video gave us 2'42"139
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcX-1zLFb3U"]€ZC6€‘ ˆ鹿‚ƒ‚*ƒƒƒˆ SUBARU BRZ ƒŽƒƒžƒ‚‚ SUZUKA CIRCUIT - YouTube[/ame]

That is some epic 7 second difference. To make it worse the BRZ had Advan AD08s, Light weight rims, and Endless Brakes. Of course the driver made the difference too, As Tsuchiya was driving the FD2. No clue who was driving the BRZ.

BTW the Canadian CSX-S is a actually a nifty car if you plan to do a FD2 conversion. It's much easier to convert a CSX to a FD2 than a FA5 to a FD2. If you are into that whole JDM conversion thing.

This is still my favorite Civic of all time

Last edited by brianc; 07-30-2012 at 06:02 AM.
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianc For This Useful Post:
JW89225 (08-16-2012)