follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where to install amp in FRS?

I bought a Rockford Fosgate P500X4D 500w 4-channel amp for my system and wanted to get your thoughts about where to install it. I still want to put it under the passenger seat because I want to avoid putting it in the trunk. But with it being 2-3/16" tall it needs to squeeze under the seat. There's a warning in the owners manual about giving it at least 1" of air space if you install it under the seat.

I plan on using it to push a 10" sub bridged on 2 of the channels and a set of components (6.5" and tweeters) for the other 2 channels. The birth certificate says 630 watts RMS but I don't think I'll be coming anywhere close to using all of its power.

My question is, if I don't plan on pushing this amp too hard (less than 1/2 gain most of the time), will I be risking much by wedging the amp under the passenger seat where the bottom of the seat will be in direct contact with the top of the amp? Not much ventilation down there, but it really seems as though these RF amps are underspec'd (and over engineered) in every way. It is quite a hefty amp with some quality heat sinks.

The other location I'm considering is under the trunk carpet anyway so ventilation won't be much better.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
wrohdejr

Drives: 2013 subaru limited wrb brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
This is how i installed my amp.

wrohdejr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrohdejr For This Useful Post:
mit_peid (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

I just bought the JL cs110 10" sub enclosure. Thinking about just screwing the RF amp to the top/back of the JL box. I also bought some MB Quart PVL216 components today. Thinking about putting those crossovers onto the JL box too. I know I know easy for a thief to steal and maybe an amp on a sub isn't the best but I think it'll be fine since its not a monster sub and should be hidden in the trunk.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #4
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
I just bought the JL cs110 10" sub enclosure. Thinking about just screwing the RF amp to the top/back of the JL box. I also bought some MB Quart PVL216 components today. Thinking about putting those crossovers onto the JL box too. I know I know easy for a thief to steal and maybe an amp on a sub isn't the best but I think it'll be fine since its not a monster sub and should be hidden in the trunk.
Just use security screws and have it bolted to something metal.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Don't put the crossovers on the box please, mounting the amp on it would be fine though in my opinion.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Don't put the crossovers on the box please, mounting the amp on it would be fine though in my opinion.
Please explain why no crossovers on box. Too far away from where the speakers will be?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #7
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
Just use security screws and have it bolted to something metal.
You mean have the amp bolted onto metal, then the box? Sorry, I'm a little confused, would this for better grounding or as a theft deterrent?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #8
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Please explain why no crossovers on box. Too far away from where the speakers will be?
Its a lot of vibration for a xover, you run the risk of it getting them having a short life. Distance doesnt really matter. If you want cut some of the foam out behind the seat and mount them next to the oem amp. Its a good solid spot.

Quote:
You mean have the amp bolted onto metal, then the box? Sorry, I'm a little confused, would this for better grounding or as a theft deterrent?
I'm saying, if you have a concern of theft. Mount the box with metal brackets to metal, and use security screws. Your common thief isn't carrying those bits around, and prolly isn't gonna bother to spend the time it would take to try ripping it out of there if you have it properly secured.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Maybe I can fit the crossovers where the stock 4" speakers are up on the dash. I will need to see how big they are first when I get them in. I would rather not cut into the stock material if possible even it it is just styrofoam.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #10
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Maybe I can fit the crossovers where the stock 4" speakers are up on the dash. I will need to see how big they are first when I get them in. I would rather not cut into the stock material if possible even it it is just styrofoam.
could get a project box from radio shack and put them in there then under a seat also. then they would be safe from any elements.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Question about component speaker positioning. I've heard and am now reading in the MB Quart manual ideally you want the tweeter to be within 8" of the component woofer. My plan is to have them a lot further away than 8" from each other with the woofer being in the door and the tweeters being up in the dash.

How big of a deal is this? My MB Quarts also give an option of installing the tweeters right in top of the woofer (coaxial). But I feel this may take away some of the benefits of going with components.

Should I think about potentially just doing that? Thanks,