follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #533
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Hah I know that car... I've coached Matt a bit over the last year and half or so. He's gotten pretty quick.

I didn't know you were on the flat out forum. Whats your handle?
i think its the same as here. i dont really post that often because for the last five years or so, school has really kept me from going to the track. now that im done with that im really looking for a track car. seeing cars that just seem sorted and fairly priced makes me cry a little when i just bought the brz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I definitely recommend an alignment, at the very least with the factory camber bolts. Hell I'd do that off the showroom floor. But for the bare minimum for safety it's just brake pads and fluid IMO.

- Andy
yeah thats what i do with my miatas. i just havent been to the track in anything that wasnt well sorted but this car seems pretty purpose built. i dont care about making the car fast. i just want sustainable fun. thanks.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (12-06-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #534
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i have lowered my car with Eibach Sportlines. I have also added the roll centre/bump steer correction kit from Whiteline, SPC rear lca's and front camber bolts (16mm) with factory wheels. What are the correct alignment specs that:
1. will not wear the tires unevenly
2. give me a decent grip (i know is in the tires but the camber will help me a bit too) for street use and some very rare track/skid pan days.

cheers
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #535
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
thinking of winter specific setup..

where would i be able to source taller and softer springs to go over the OEM dampers, and how much extra height could the OEM dampers handle.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #536
Khorne
Super 86

Drives: Red 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Hey CSG and RCE.

Was wondering if either of you have any experience with MCA suspension, specifically the blue series. They are a pretty big brand down here in Aus, not sure about over there though.
http://mcasuspension.com/blue-series/

Im considering a set for my 86, due to the reputation they have down here.

Cheers.
Khorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #537
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne View Post
Hey CSG and RCE.

Was wondering if either of you have any experience with MCA suspension, specifically the blue series. They are a pretty big brand down here in Aus, not sure about over there though.

Cheers.
Not I, said the fly.

They do seem to have a great reputation though.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #538
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
i have lowered my car with Eibach Sportlines. I have also added the roll centre/bump steer correction kit from Whiteline, SPC rear lca's and front camber bolts (16mm) with factory wheels. What are the correct alignment specs that:
1. will not wear the tires unevenly
2. give me a decent grip (i know is in the tires but the camber will help me a bit too) for street use and some very rare track/skid pan days.

cheers
I'd recommend you align for the street, and then just accept the wear from track/skidpad days, since it's primarily a track car.

0 to 1/16" total toe-in front
0 to 1/16" total toe-in rear

Max out your front camber using camber bolts; it should be around -1.5 or so.
run about -1 in the rear.

This will work for spirited street driving, and not destroy your tires on track, and also give you good life.

Keep in mind, everything about that alignment is compromised. It's not the best of any thing, but it does everything okay.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #539
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne View Post
Hey CSG and RCE.

Cheers.
I've not tried them but have heard good things as well.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #540
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
thinking of winter specific setup..

where would i be able to source taller and softer springs to go over the OEM dampers, and how much extra height could the OEM dampers handle.
Eibach can make one-off custom springs, but it's not cheap.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #541
Khorne
Super 86

Drives: Red 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
You two are quick haha, i'll give them a go they do have a great reputation.

Happy 2014 from Australia, its 2am 1/1/2014 here
Khorne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Khorne For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (01-02-2014)
Old 12-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #542
shaunsweeney

Drives: 2014 FR-S MT Asphalt Grey
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
PM sent @Racecomp Engineering
shaunsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #543
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd recommend you align for the street, and then just accept the wear from track/skidpad days, since it's primarily a track car.

0 to 1/16" total toe-in front
0 to 1/16" total toe-in rear

Max out your front camber using camber bolts; it should be around -1.5 or so.
run about -1 in the rear.

This will work for spirited street driving, and not destroy your tires on track, and also give you good life.

Keep in mind, everything about that alignment is compromised. It's not the best of any thing, but it does everything okay.
I'd have a similar questions. I don't have adjustable LCA's but I do have caster/camber plates up front. What alignment would you suggest for a daily driver that also see a couple HPDE a year (2-3). Ideally I'd set the camber up front for either the track or street and then adjust with the plates back to the ideal camber setting for the opposite of what the car was originally set at. I know this affects Toe but I'm curious if there was some setting that I could do with my camber plates to avoid changing the toe every single time I want to do an event. Suggestions?
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #544
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
I'd have a similar questions. I don't have adjustable LCA's but I do have caster/camber plates up front. What alignment would you suggest for a daily driver that also see a couple HPDE a year (2-3). Ideally I'd set the camber up front for either the track or street and then adjust with the plates back to the ideal camber setting for the opposite of what the car was originally set at. I know this affects Toe but I'm curious if there was some setting that I could do with my camber plates to avoid changing the toe every single time I want to do an event. Suggestions?
You won't have any rear camber adjustability.

Use camber bolts to "max" the front camber via the bolts. Then use camber plates to fine tune. Mark them. Then adjust them for about -3 in the front, and mark them again. Those will be your two settings. As you get more experience, you'll get a better idea of what you prefer.

Keep in mind you'll have more front than rear grip under cornering, so that camber stagger will result in a looser car.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Malt (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #545
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
You won't have any rear camber adjustability.

Use camber bolts to "max" the front camber via the bolts. Then use camber plates to fine tune. Mark them. Then adjust them for about -3 in the front, and mark them again. Those will be your two settings. As you get more experience, you'll get a better idea of what you prefer.

Keep in mind you'll have more front than rear grip under cornering, so that camber stagger will result in a looser car.
Thats what I was planning on doing but wont the toe change when adjusting the camber through the plates? Is that a cause for concern?

If so, should I set the toe on the track setting or the street setting and then adjust back to other setting through the plates? Basically I don't want something that is going to be dangerous or absolutely destroys the tires. If that means I have to adjust the toe each time then I guess I should learn how to do it.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #546
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
Thats what I was planning on doing but wont the toe change when adjusting the camber through the plates? Is that a cause for concern?

If so, should I set the toe on the track setting or the street setting and then adjust back to other setting through the plates? Basically I don't want something that is going to be dangerous or absolutely destroys the tires. If that means I have to adjust the toe each time then I guess I should learn how to do it.
The toe does change, but not a HUGE amount.

Set the toe for street use.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Malt (12-31-2013)