follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
lunchbox

Drives: Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S vs 2012 Ford Focus ST

Hey everyone just wondering what you think about this. I'm stuck between them both for right now. 250hp turbo is comporting. I like the technology the focus has... here are some specs

The beating heart of the Focus ST is a turbocharged 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine that produces 247 horsepower and 266 pound-feet of torque, mated exclusively to a six-speed manual transmission. Ford's new torque-vectoring power control system is on hand, which should keep the front wheels in line, as front-wheel-drive turbo cars are always prone to understeer and torque steer.

Auto Blog Ford Focus ST

Anyone got some input? THANKS!
lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lunchbox For This Useful Post:
Guff (05-28-2012)
Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It will be faster in a straight line and a better daily driver I bet but the handling feel of the FRS will be better I suppose.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
lunchbox

Yea that's a good point. Thanks for not coming in here and spamming OMFG FR-S FTW ST SUXXXXXX N00bFACE!

Yea untilmately i'm interested to see if the torque vectoring stuff actually works. Could make it much more fun to drive... Oh it also has LED headlights... haha
Old 12-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
spoolin

Drives: Nissan 300zx twin turbo
really its going to be what your preference is rwd or fwd and na vs turbo because i think they will make the focus to do pretty well in the corners but i much prefer a 2 door well balanced na rwd coupe over a 4 door fwd turbo hatchback but i still think the focus will be a great car it just really all comes down to preference. do we know how much the focus will weigh?
spoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
i think it's down to what you prefer... old school feel vs new technology. personally i prefer doing everything myself, hence the reason why i adore the mx-5 and have been waiting patiently for the fr-s (mind you i am 6"1' and do not fit in the mazda all that comfortably). i could careless about being fast in straight line as there will be faster cars (i`d buy a used vette and call it a day on that one). if it's lap times you are after, i dont think the fr-s is for you, but if you want to smile all the way through the experience, then it definitely is.

but then again, i have not driven both cars so i cannot say for sure. car reviews are so biased you never know the truth till you drive them yourself (unless you are watching chris harris anyways).
mokinbird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
i think it's down to what you prefer... old school feel vs new technology. personally i prefer doing everything myself, hence the reason why i adore the mx-5 and have been waiting patiently for the fr-s (mind you i am 6"1' and do not fit in the mazda all that comfortably). i could careless about being fast in straight line as there will be faster cars (i`d buy a used vette and call it a day on that one). if it's lap times you are after, i dont think the fr-s is for you, but if you want to smile all the way through the experience, then it definitely is.

but then again, i have not driven both cars so i cannot say for sure. car reviews are so biased you never know the truth till you drive them yourself (unless you are watching chris harris anyways).
This is the only part of your post that I like.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
ryude

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
I had a turbocharged FWD car before, it's stupid. Spin/wheelhop first and second gear, it's just not fun unless you spend loooots of money. At that point, why didn't you just start with RWD in the first place?
ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The Focus ST is everything that the 86/BRZ isn't. Heavier, unbalanced, loaded with technology. Even offering enough extra power to offset the excess weight. The new hatchback is 3000lbs so the ST is at least that. It's also more practical, the Focus is a good 7-8 inches taller and has a fairly spacious interior for a compact.

The Mazda cousins are known for being more driver focused. But I like the Ford versions better. I was watching/waiting for the Ford Focus ecoboost but they went with ST versions instead and the premium Fords use their dual clutch 6spd automatic leaving the 5spd manual for the base and lower spec.

I haven't driven either one at all, yet. But the Focus is more of a corner carver than anything else available from Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
lunchbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
The Focus ST is everything that the 86/BRZ isn't. Heavier, unbalanced, loaded with technology. Even offering enough extra power to offset the excess weight. The new hatchback is 3000lbs so the ST is at least that. It's also more practical, the Focus is a good 7-8 inches taller and has a fairly spacious interior for a compact.

The Mazda cousins are known for being more driver focused. But I like the Ford versions better. I was watching/waiting for the Ford Focus ecoboost but they went with ST versions instead and the premium Fords use their dual clutch 6spd automatic leaving the 5spd manual for the base and lower spec.

I haven't driven either one at all, yet. But the Focus is more of a corner carver than anything else available from Ford.
They are using a 6spd manual in the ST. Makes it a bit more fun imo.

I just want them both to come out so I can drive it. That should make the decision.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
I really like the ST, I sat in the blue one at the LA Autoshow. It should be a great car if you need the space.
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
BootpTraphik
loading in progress

Drives: Genesis Coupe 3.8 M/T
That dark blue they are using for the new Focus is awesome, I drool every time I drive by it at the dealership.

Is it the same "torque vectoring" found in the Focus RS? If it is, then I'm sure it works awesome! Wish I had a Focus RS...

Both these cars have the ability to corner well. If the Focus 5 door is ~3000lbs thats not so bad. Expect more body roll and understeer with the Focus compared to the 86 though. I would bet the Focus pulls out of corners better than the 86 in return. I think Ford has almost perfected that platform as a FWD hot hatch. The Focus platform has always been a good handler. Interesting comparo for sure!

Resident GenCoupe lurker and FT-86 fan
BootpTraphik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Good car indeed. Focus RS is one of the best looking hatchbacks in the market. It also loads with power and tech. I like it, but I will never consider buying one.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
Caliban
Terrorist of Chat Rooms

Drives: 05 E46M3, 06 CT9ARS, FR-S?
comparing apples to oranges.. totally different platform/layout. I will take the RWD car over FWD any day.
Caliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The Focus ST looks really nice, I'm certainly impressed by it but I would have a tough time buying one over a Mustang V6 Base. With very little money you can make the stang awesome, the obvious disadvantage being how common they are. I agree with the above posters, if you love RWD then buying a nose heavy car like the Focus is a tough pill to swallow. I did it with a Tiburon and I sold it quickly.
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote