follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #127
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have a hard time coming to terms that a brand new car I purchased is going to have its engine rebuilt. And the fact that the fix is not even guaranteed to work.

Anyone feel the same way?

Not sure if I'm going to push for a brand new replacement...
Old 09-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #128
Tricky1980

Drives: 2013 Raven Fr-s
I'm on my 3rd loaner car.. had a venza for 2 days a yaris for 2 days(told them unacceptable) now im in a rav-4.. its atleast decent... have no update on my physical car as of yet... been lil over 2 weeks at the shop... received paperwork from scion to file claim through their 3rd party resolution dept. im curious as to how this will turn out.
Tricky1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #129
speedy racer

Drives: 92 lexus sc300 > whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How did you get third party arbitrator involved?
speedy racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #130
CharlieChaos

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post
I have a hard time coming to terms that a brand new car I purchased is going to have its engine rebuilt. And the fact that the fix is not even guaranteed to work.

It's funny the different answers everyone is getting. I was told if its a electrical / electronic issue they are replacing the part if it is machanical they are shipping a brand new engine to be put in the car
CharlieChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #131
714FR-s_guy

Drives: 2013 scion FR-s asphalt
Bought my FR-s three weeks ago... Now at 1500'miles... CEL and SL come on permanently
What's up has anyone has theirs fixed, waiting to hear about results
714FR-s_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #132
michaelshull

Drives: Scion FR-S
Add My FRS to the ongoing list

FR-S Manual transmission - 4500 miles, fixed after 2 weeks and 2 attempts, back in shop after 1 week, still in Shop, no ETA. My symptoms are exactly like everyone elses problem listed here. did not pay good money for a car that can't hold and idle and shakes.

I am extremely disappointed that the Scion Corporate rep did not acknowledge the issue over the past 3 weeks I have had the issue.

I am going to attept to Lemon Law my car. Also reported the issue to the NTHSA as a complaint that Toyota has not acknowledge this as an issue with their cars.

Last 6 of vin is 703700
michaelshull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #133
Darweeezy
Vrooom vrooom!

Drives: Asphalt FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just had the CEL and SLIP light come on. Bringing it to the dealership tomorrow afternoon.

~1200 miles
Manual Transmission
VIN: 7077XX
Darweeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #134
eurospeed

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06tofrs View Post
after 15 days in the shop what the hell did they say was the problem and fix for your issues? What other complaints did you have?
Mind you they had an FR-S in the shop for the same problem, so they knew the drill of taking orders from Toyota. Toyota first told them to swap the oil control valves...no dice, CEL came right back on. Next, they were told to replace the cam sprocket assy (one side only), the oil control valve, and the ECU (this I did not know of until I picked up the car). Parts took about two weeks to arrive and two days to install.

In the meantime, the car was first delivered with chipped paint in the front bumper (transport damage) and a faint double ding on the passenger fender. I asked them to address it when my car was being worked on for the idle issue and at the last minute they said no. They (their management) not only lied to and insulted me, but felt I was too much of a perfectionist and therefore refused to fix the isues in fear they would not be able to satisfy me. Needless to say, I always thought Toyota's goal was all about perfection and customer satisfaction...boy was I wrong. Without going into further detail, I gave them and Corporate my $0.02.
eurospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #135
eurospeed

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenslide View Post
Frs white..went to finish deal on car only to be told car was in the service dept with cel. Told by dealership that they knew what was wrong p0019 code they would fix and I could take delivery. Week later told car was fixed but toyota put a hold on the car but they had a new one coming from japan. Should take delivery next week. Spoke with scion concerning this issue and was told they were aware of the problems and that parts would not be available until oct.
This is the first hold I have seen and this is an option Toyota should've been giving all of us with very low miles.

Ridenslide, do you mind me adding this car to the list even though you were not the owner? Do you have the last four of the VIN by chance?
eurospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #136
Z06tofrs

Drives: Black fr-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post

So after another day in the shop my car wasn't even touched

I'm in the same boat as you. Now that major work is listed under the cars vin log it will most likely show up when you car fax the vehicle. Also don't know how true but an older car I use to own I tried to trade in but the motor was rebuilt. Once they found that out they wouldn't allow the trade.

At this point I think I just want my cash back and they can keep the car.
Z06tofrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #137
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Engine serial numbers would be a much more effective way of tracking this issue. May be that all the engines affected came from the same plant/line. Not sure how Subaru does things but I know Toyota labels each engine with a build date and time. I'll look around and see if I can figure out the Subaru stickers.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FirestormFRS For This Useful Post:
alrashwa (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #138
Ridenslide

Drives: 2013 scion frs white
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurospeed View Post
This is the first hold I have seen and this is an option Toyota should've been giving all of us with very low miles.

Ridenslide, do you mind me adding this car to the list even though you were not the owner? Do you have the last four of the VIN by chance?
Yes please add it to your list I do not have the vin number since I had nit officially signed the papers. I was notified that my new white frs hit the port on the 4th. I am hoping that they might of addressed the issue in the production line but understand I could be driving a camry. I live about 200 miles from the dealership and they are bringing the car to me and told me if I had any problems with it they would pick it up and bring me a loaner. I have purchased several cars in the past from this dealer in amarillo texas and they have always been great to work with. Hopefully my new frs wont be on the list....kim
Ridenslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:06 AM   #139
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So my check engine light came on and it wasnt p0019 or p0018. It is p03** (forgot which one will have a look later). That is related to the camshaft position sensor. Anyone else have this pop up?

Germans>Japanese>Italians>Americans. Unless its a Corvette.
czar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #140
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
From my understanding, the actual "rebuild" is just cam gears, solenoids, and the ECU. They aren't opening up the heads from what I've been told. I doubt this would show up as a "rebuild" on a carfax.
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote