follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #155
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
Actually THAT is apparently somewhat more common - you have to drop the entire hub to get them in on the rear. Let them drop or hang and can wreck the wire. Fronts - I think they took the hub off as well to use a press and the wire for the sensor is very very short.

Battery may have been disconnected (hence no video).

But again, I'm all for aftermarket toys and gizmos but nothing should be able to either kill or send throttle signals. Or the brakes either.
Honestly, something still seems kind of weird about the whole thing. Are you sure it was the throttle being manipulated and not just the compressor that was being switched on? If it was the throttle blipping, why was the car started? Lastly, why were they messing around under your dash (if that's where your Procede is installed like most of us)? I guess I can't picture the whole event very well. Do you have a link to the video?
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #156
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
PROcede ESC User Software!

I'm more interested to know how they cut the wire. I think they left it dangling and it was grounding out.
@Khyron686 @DAEMANO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #157
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It's like 20 4min videos (with some amusing test drive stuff) before one of the head guys noted the camera.

I'll try and explain the flow:

Car perfect, ESC fine, Procede wonderful.

Get new 245 tires, don't clear struts. Need 5mm spacers, which means new studs.

Front already pokes, with another 5mm looks stupid, get 15mm rear spacers, which means new studs.

Get car back from my awesome tire shop (great aftermarket place), lights up like a Christmas tree when driving 120km/hr, and goes limp mode. (Traction, ABS, Engine, and one other light all come on)

P0500: Vehicle Speed Sensor

Save and clear codes with Torque, they come back within 5 mins.

Take back to tire shop - they agree they'll do whatever to fix it. Check all the sensors, find one that has a big scratch. They pay 200 for a new front sensor, install, 10 min drive no codes. Yay!

I get the car, a bit later I feel something not right with braking, like abs grinding sorta like when stability control comes on (ABS uses speed sensors). But no lights. Few hours later, Christmas tree is back.

Tire shop can't test each sensor, agrees to let dealer do it. Surely they have a tool to test each sensor. Tire shop agrees to pay the 150$ diag fee. I say wait and make sure it's actually the problem. Coincidences happen.

I remove Phantom, disconnect all the electrical. Not trying to hide it, I just don't want stupid joyrides. I was too lazy to open my dash and remove the Procede - the ESC is gone, it should do nothing. I'm not looking for warranty.

Flashed ecu back to stock with OFT.

Dealer gets car in the AM, all error lights on, limp mode. They clear codes and 2 techs take test drive. They get the error within 5 minutes of driving. Since there are 2 techs, they are talking a lot and they have many opinions about how good the car is, definitely not stock (I have a header that's it) and s2000s being faster. They pull over and clear codes, hook up the big logger that records EVERYTHING and try and get the codes to come back. They cannot. And they were driving hard - not wreckless - but having fun too. Nothing brings the code back.

Car goes back to shop, they put it on the lift and just idle it in gear to test sensors - I lose video after that.

I got a call asking about the black box under the dash, they told me the car wasn't running properly at all. Cue my confusion - why are they under the dash at all for a speed sensor code.

Video back a few hours later, hood open, they were under the dash and that's when they said the throttle was reving up and down (I could sort of see it) and hear them talking about it. And the bitching about the POS charger, etc.

So yah, they probably screwed up and cut the ground wire which I had mounted pretty good I thought. They said on the work order that it was cut or loose or something before they touched it (possible but that's more like butt covering).

But the point is that after they fixed that ground and got it back to running, I haven't had a single code or weird feeling at all. I haven't put the ESC back in yet. I was charged 1 hr for the diag, which I paid and will not give to the tire shop. They logged about 6 hrs total which they ate since they obviously had a working car come in.

But my concern is this - does a crappy ground wire that the user (us) have the potential to completely kill the throttle, or worse make it rev on its own? If so that's a big bloody problem. I'd expect it to kill my ESC or logging or something not possibly kill me if it happened during a merge and I lose all throttle. That can't happen over a single 18g wire.

Anyway, I'm going to leave it alone for a few days and make sure no codes, them I'm going to disconnect the ground from the procede and see if it does the same thing in my garage. Will put back ESC and re-flash back to normal program.
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #158
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
But my concern is this - does a crappy ground wire that the user (us) have the potential to completely kill the throttle, or worse make it rev on its own? If so that's a big bloody problem. I'd expect it to kill my ESC or logging or something not possibly kill me if it happened during a merge and I lose all throttle. That can't happen over a single 18g wire.
Thanks for the background. I don't think this would happen solely due to the PROcede. Not to say that it couldn't. It's reading the signal but not outputting anything on that channel. Not to say that it's impossible either as @KoolBRZ has aluded to. I imagine that this would be an easy thing to test for though right?
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #159
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
They should never have been in the cab of the car in the first place. It's obvious they didn't know what the *&%$#@ they were doing. Wired properly there is no risk, but if you start sending current backwards across circuits it was never supposed to flow across, yes bad things can happen. You could toast your ECU, Procede controller, transmission controller, stability controller, airbag controller, antilock brake controller, and on and on.
What they did was very, very risky, and if you're very lucky everything will still work fine once it's wired back up correctly. They should have just replaced your speed sensors and called it a day. They should never have been inside the car, or fired up the engine, period.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-14-2015), Sojhinn (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #160
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
They should never have been in the cab of the car in the first place. It's obvious they didn't know what the *&%$#@ they were doing. Wired properly there is no risk, but if you start sending current backwards across circuits it was never supposed to flow across, yes bad things can happen. You could toast your ECU, Procede controller, transmission controller, stability controller, airbag controller, antilock brake controller, and on and on.
What they did was very, very risky, and if you're very lucky everything will still work fine once it's wired back up correctly. They should have just replaced your speed sensors and called it a day. They should never have been inside the car, or fired up the engine, period.

I still think when they cut the wire they left it dangling and / or maybe rewired it wrong. (At first)

But I can see bad things happened if a circuit were completed without it properly being insulated and having it ground out.

Again this would be the throttle position sensor grounding out.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 08-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #161
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yah those 2 are tapped well and you'd have to remove the glovebox to get at them. I can see the ground and the power lines getting kinked/frayed since they are by the wheel and kinda user-random mounted.

I will see what they did when I'm feeling ambitious to get under there, and try an experiment by disconnecting the ground. It should just not work. I have to fish out my volt meter and re-stick it anyway.

Still no codes and it's been almost an hour of driving. No loose surface though (and these 245 re71r are hard to break loose).
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #162
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Yah those 2 are tapped well and you'd have to remove the glovebox to get at them. I can see the ground and the power lines getting kinked/frayed since they are by the wheel and kinda user-random mounted.

I will see what they did when I'm feeling ambitious to get under there, and try an experiment by disconnecting the ground. It should just not work. I have to fish out my volt meter and re-stick it anyway.

Let us know. I'm really curious. I still stand by my idea but who knows.

Installed Mods:
Old 08-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #163
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I would like to have switchable maps on the Procede.

To enable use of the ESC on the track, I would like a partial boost map that can be switched to a full boost map for the straight, then swithed back to the partial boost map.

Thanks.
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:27 AM   #164
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
see my previous post. wondering about having partial boost map for most of a track, and then full boost for the straight. My theory is that it will help with dump battery recharge and controller/electric motor heat management.

I want to have a circuit that switches from procede signal for the ESC (partial boost map) to the throttle switch signal for the ESC (full boost).

---------------------
My question is regarding the procede signal (0-5V) wire to the ESC. Will the procede get damaged if I tap this wire and run 5V through it?
------------------
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #165
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
PROcede Controller with RS232 Interface

Does anyone have experience connecting a PROcede controller with the RS232 serial connetion to a laptop via a USB port (i.e., 9-pin female connector)? I have an FTDI-LED USB to RS232 converter, however, as best as I can tell, there isn't any guidance on www.openflashtablet.com that directs users how to use it. Incidentally, I installed the drivers for the converter and opened the PROcede controller software with it connected and the software saw it. So ultimately, my concern is does this mean that it will successfully communicate with my PROcede controller?
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #166
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
Does anyone have experience connecting a PROcede controller with the RS232 serial connetion to a laptop via a USB port (i.e., 9-pin female connector)? I have an FTDI-LED USB to RS232 converter, however, as best as I can tell, there isn't any guidance on www.openflashtablet.com that directs users how to use it. Incidentally, I installed the drivers for the converter and opened the PROcede controller software with it connected and the software saw it. So ultimately, my concern is does this mean that it will successfully communicate with my PROcede controller?

If it found it in the software you are golden

Installed Mods:
Old 01-11-2016, 06:23 AM   #167
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
If it found it in the software you are golden

Sojhinn, not that I don't think you know what you're talking about, but do you know that from personal experience or has Shiv related as much in another post somewhere? I'm just concerned about connecting it up given the amount of specificity that was included in the readme instructions for the USB drivers off of the Open Flash website and the instruction that users should follow the directions exactly. I just want to be 100% sure that I'm not going to corrupt my controller and, quite frankly, I wish I didn't have to sift through a web forum to get this information considering the cost of the PROcede controller; it didn't even come with any documentation in the box!

Incidentally, I've been looking around the forums for the posting(s) with your PROcede map and couldn't find it. Can you direct me to the right spot?

Thanks!
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #168
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
Sojhinn, not that I don't think you know what you're talking about, but do you know that from personal experience or has Shiv related as much in another post somewhere? I'm just concerned about connecting it up given the amount of specificity that was included in the readme instructions for the USB drivers off of the Open Flash website and the instruction that users should follow the directions exactly. I just want to be 100% sure that I'm not going to corrupt my controller and, quite frankly, I wish I didn't have to sift through a web forum to get this information considering the cost of the PROcede controller; it didn't even come with any documentation in the box!

Incidentally, I've been looking around the forums for the posting(s) with your PROcede map and couldn't find it. Can you direct me to the right spot?

Thanks!

There have been multiple people utilizing usb to serial adapters. Several of whom o have helped.

The procede checks the files after loading, so it should be fine. But if you don't trust my word for it you can wait for @Shiv@Openflash . (Not trying to be mean or anything here. I understand being conservative.)

As for my procede tune here you go!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...kxNcUdvWGtqMG8

Since you have the serial procede follow this after loading the map.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...VlGOG5lV1dqWE0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...G5NRC10a2FoenM

Installed Mods:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-11-2016), vfrqqq (01-11-2016)